• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gaza/Palestine

Why is this post still on the forum?

Because I'd like to think others on the forum have the ability to argue someone's opinion which goes against the grain. Whilst an extreme view to put it lightly, it's actually produced some very valid counter arguments which have made some interesting reading. As Diogo pointed out, if you believe a post contravenes guidelines, please report it rather than post in the topic about it.

Just as an aside to those participating in the topic too. This is of course an emotive and complex subject, and I would ask everyone to remain respectful to each other's viewpoints - thanks :).

To bring this back from Godwin I was shocked to learn yesterday the Israel soldier, supposedly kidnapped now known to be dead was an old school friend of mine. Knew him and his brother in year 10 and the pair of them were two of the nicest guys.
Another friend posted about this on Facebook and got a lot of hateful responses about Zionists and terrorism, but from recent pictures and my memory of him I suspect his position was more a soldier doing what he believed was right. To me this just highlights this is not as black and white a conflict as many believe.

Damn, sorry to hear that mate.
Given that Israel still forces all teenagers to serve in the army, It may well be that he didn't even want to be there.

Conscription / national service is a violation of human rights if you ask me. Not that such things matter to Israel.

The IDF are now claiming that your friend was not kidnapped, but killed in action.

They lied about his death to justify their attacks, like they did with those three boys.

To bring this back from Godwin I was shocked to learn yesterday the Israel soldier, supposedly kidnapped now known to be dead was an old school friend of mine. Knew him and his brother in year 10 and the pair of them were two of the nicest guys.
Another friend posted about this on Facebook and got a lot of hateful responses about Zionists and terrorism, but from recent pictures and my memory of him I suspect his position was more a soldier doing what he believed was right. To me this just highlights this is not as black and white a conflict as many believe.

This conflict is far from black and white. No war can really claim to be such; even World War II, widely accepted in principle by many as being 'good vs evil', saw many atrocities committed by the allies. War is never a good thing, and so long as both sides are claiming lives, I wouldn't consider this black and white at all.

And just to add, thank you for sharing your own personal link with us. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the comments. It's weird because I hadn't seen him or his brother for so long that from my point of view I'd already lost them, which was why it was such a shock to recognise him in the papers.

Damn, sorry to hear that mate.
Given that Israel still forces all teenagers to serve in the army, It may well be that he didn't even want to be there.

Conscription / national service is a violation of human rights if you ask me. Not that such things matter to Israel.
I'm not sure that is the case. Reading a few reports he had reached Second Lieutenant rank and at 23 probably wasn't just conscripted. But as I said originally I suspect if he was fighting it was because he believed it was for a good cause.
The ironic twist is it sounds like it was an Israeli air strike that killed him. It's why I can't stand conflict, you only end up hurting yourself.

Suggesting that perhaps the Holocaust was a good idea isn't a reasonable debating point, it clearly breaks the forum guidelines in terms of respect for other members. If it was posted from Germany, it'd be illegal.

As Diogo pointed out, if you believe a post contravenes guidelines, please report it rather than post in the topic about it.

I did report it, twice.

Suggesting that perhaps the Holocaust was a good idea isn't a reasonable debating point, it clearly breaks the forum guidelines in terms of respect for other members. If it was posted from Germany, it'd be illegal.

I did report it, twice.

But this isn't Germany. If you reported it, the report was reviewed by a team member who decided no action was necessary, and the post did not break forum guidelines.

Anyway, we've moved well and truly on from that post now, so let's not jam this topic up with debate about moderation processes. Give me a shout privately if you wish to discuss further.

I did report it, twice.

I know this is going off topic a bit, (though seen as I made this topic and don't mind it shouldn't matter much imo) but I don't understand how it "breaks the guidelines in terms of respect for other members", there's no holocaust survivors who post on TST, and while what he said is pretty insensitive, I'm on the side of free speech here and I don't think that anyone's views should be censored, even if they are bad.