• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gender Identity

It isn't that everyone must be against the norm, you just have to accept that everyone isn't the same, big difference.
I was born in the sixties, with elder siblings, male and female, who were gay.
Peace love and understanding in the sixties and seventies?
Not if you didn't conform.
Big secret for my brother and sister until middle age as far as parents and some relatives were concerned.
Queer bashing was a leisure activity for many young men, irrespective of class group.
I even got beaten up for supporting my gay siblings at school...family of freaks... (always loved that title).
P.C. terminology aside, things are much much better in society today than they were fifty years ago, even twenty years ago.
I love chatting with my far right elderly gardening punters about events down the gay side of my family...it runs through the generations with pride, now my two gay nephews don't have to spend half their lives pretending to be someone else.

I don't really understand it - but equally it doesn't bother me. As long as people are good, honest and morally upstanding they can be whatever the want to be.

Gender is something that s Binary to me - I'm male and that's down to my chromosomes, testosterone and genitals. If people have other opinions and have valid reasons for it - I am happy to accept.

I think the mere fact a bunch of roller coaster geeks are discussing this shows how relevant it is to modern day society. As the post said above (@Rick ?) I think we all owe it to ourselves to not be the 95 year old using offensive language.

Found this page during my research - very useful

https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-links/understanding-gender/

I still find it difficult to detach from the fact a male has male part and a female has female parts

I don't really understand it - but equally it doesn't bother me. As long as people are good, honest and morally upstanding they can be whatever the want to be.

Gender is something that s Binary to me - I'm male and that's down to my chromosomes, testosterone and genitals. If people have other opinions and have valid reasons for it - I am happy to accept.

This is how I feel about it. I have no problem with moving towards a "unisex world" as such that's accommodating for nonnbinary, trans, etc people. Scrapping "he, she" and everyone using gender neutral pronouns would be a good start.

What I object to is people that don't understand LGBTQ+ being assholes or moaning about the lessons in schools. Keep your mouth shut

This is how I feel about it. I have no problem with moving towards a "unisex world" as such that's accommodating for nonnbinary, trans, etc people. Scrapping "he, she" and everyone using gender neutral pronouns would be a good start.

What I object to is people that don't understand LGBTQ+ being assholes or moaning about the lessons in schools. Keep your mouth shut

How can you scrap pronouns such as he and she. And what would they be replaced with? And would this be a country side thing or worldwide? Take the latic based languages for instance, scrapping these pronouns would effectively mean a large part of their language needs recreating.

What like people putting Jedi as a religion ?

Clue in the name there, "Religion". Religion isn't related to a persons gender. It's long been established there are multiple religions including none and franchise based beliefs such as Jedi.

It's a bit different to the gender that a person is born as.

I understand the issues, but have problems with schools teaching kids that boys can have periods too.
That is factually incorrect.
And going back to binary biology...even that isnt clean cut.
There are a great many examples of non binary biological births...it has always been a rather taboo subject, and is often surgically treated early in life to clear up biological "anomalies".

I understand the issues, but have problems with schools teaching kids that boys can have periods too.
That is factually incorrect.
And going back to binary biology...even that isnt clean cut.
There are a great many examples of non binary biological births...it has always been a rather taboo subject, and is often surgically treated early in life to clear up biological "anomalies".
The whole 'boys can have periods too' is something that the press caught wind off and ran with. The 'advice' was part of a toolkit provided to teachers in Brighton and Hove *if* they had a trans child in their class. It was not meant to be taught to all children as the press alluded to, but as a discussion point if a female to male trans pupil was in the class/ school. This was to try and make puberty easier for said child.

Unfortunately the press don't deal with facts anymore, it is only about selling papers.

Don't say I've been falling for the mistruth of the Mail on Sunday again Chris?
They didn't print a correction to their lies...again!
Heard it on Womans Hour on radio 4 originally I think...that hotbed of left wing political philosophy.

Don't say I've been falling for the mistruth of the Mail on Sunday again Chris?
They didn't print a correction to their lies...again!
Heard it on Womans Hour on radio 4 originally I think...that hotbed of left wing political philosophy.

I think the problem is people are scared of it - and that's understandable. It is like LGBT education in primary schools - people fear what they don't know, or don't have the full facts too.

Unfortunately we live in a time where fear and part-truths are more news worthy than all facts.

Clue in the name there, "Religion". Religion isn't related to a persons gender. It's long been established there are multiple religions including none and franchise based beliefs such as Jedi.

It's a bit different to the gender that a person is born as.

My point was Jedi is a religion is about as real as somebody describing them self as non binary you are physically one or the other you can’t be neither or both

Opening a can of worms there

Not really, you are born either a male or female.

Later in life you can choose to identify as something else, or change sex, but when you are born, you are born male or female. There is a very rare condition where someone is born with the organs of both sexes, but this is an extremely rare defect, not a lifestyle choice.

My point was Jedi is a religion is about as real as somebody describing them self as non binary you are physically one or the other you can’t be neither or both

I'm agnostic, my cousin CoE, but we're both male, I get the point you're trying to make but different religions is a bit different to someone actually arguing with genetics. When a woman gives birth to a fur or whatever some people try to push on the rest of us as a gender, then I'll accept there are more than two, until then, there are only two genders. There are thousands of religions, all equally delusional in my view, but there are more than two and everybody accepts that.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care what people refer to themselves as, but I fully support them in what they want to be referred as. I hate the mocking though that comes with it when people say "I identify as an attack helicopter", please shut up you're not funny.

Last edited:
I've got no issue with people identifying them self with what ever gender they choose including neutral/non binary.

We have friends that are transitioning and that is their choice (we have the same views with regards to sexuality, we too have friends that are either bi or gay).

For medicals reasons, it probably be best to be truthful about your birth gender if ever in need of medical attention as biologically men and women are different and may react differently do medical treatment.

As far as I'm concern, people can identify what they wish, it none of my business or any one else what they identify as. My only concern is that we are going down this PC route and I myself am proud to be born a male and would love to still be identify as a male, I would hate for the world to deny me calling myself a male/man due to the fear of upsetting those that wish to live in gender neutral world.

The only other time that I would want to know someone birth gender, and that if I was ever single and out on the pull (either for a one night stand or long term relationship), other than that, it's none of my business.

Last edited:
Scrapping "he, she" and everyone using gender neutral pronouns would be a good start.

Could not agree less. This is where I start to take issue.

Male and female is an absolutely valid distinction in biology and in polite conversation. Should someone with a beard and bollocks be standing in front of me and I call them Sir or Mr, as good manners dictate I should, and they take offence at that because they identify as female then that is squarely their problem and not the rest of the worlds.

Gender specific terms are not offensive and there is no intent to offend by using them. Trying to force unnecessary linguistic change on people and infer an intent to offend by the use of normal non offensive terms will only serve to drive division between NB and the rest of society.

How can you scrap pronouns such as he and she. And what would they be replaced with? And would this be a country side thing or worldwide? Take the latic based languages for instance, scrapping these pronouns would effectively mean a large part of their language needs recreating.
I don't think it's likely to happen, but if we just used "they" or "he" or even "she" to prefer to both I wouldn't be bothered. In Chinese spoken language, "ta" is used for both, though written down the characters are a bit different:)

I wrote that a while back but it didn't send. In the response to the most recent post, no I'm not bothered myself but I would be happy for us to change the words to be more inclusive. In what situation does being male or female make a difference in general conversation?

If you are talking about a 'tradional' couple and you differentiate between the two.
It is useful verbal shorthand.
In that situation when you know the couple then sure use he and she, but it's hardly necessary for someone you haven't met (as in, someone who you may use the wrong pronoun for)