• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

I got a reply to my question about Splash Landings being closed for the first few months of the year:

"Hi Gary, the Hotels availability will change throughout the year dependent on demand. At present we have only opened up limited availability in our off peak periods, however will open up more rooms should the current offer reach capacity.

The Alton Towers Waterpark is open throughout the year, with the exception of a short closure in January for our annual pool maintenance. "

This was on the back of someone else saying they had managed to book a room in Splash although not advertised by calling their booking line.

However, prices next year are crazy. Plus no deposit option. I wont be booking a stay unless they do another Groupon deal like last year.

Oh dear. So they actually made an advert that primarily focuses on Cloud Cuckoo Land, a themed area that's practically closed, Splash Landings Hotel, a hotel closed for half the season and the Rita: Queen of Speed hole on extraordinary golf, a hole depicting a ride that was rethemed 7 years ago! I mean..... I just don't know what to say to that!
Your looking WAY to much into it. I don't understand why people need to dissect everything and make an issue out of nothing. Switch off for just two minutes and just enjoy stuff...

Your looking WAY to much into it. I don't understand why people need to dissect everything and make an issue out of nothing. Switch off for just two minutes and just enjoy stuff...

Yes but if these are the promotional videos they won't attract enough customers by advertising a carousel! Therefore there will be less customers which means more tlc and budget cuts...

Think of all those usp's they have!

On a forum discussing the resort hotels and they go and release an ad heavily pushing a hotel that is closed for a large part of the season and you don't think that's worthy of discussion somehow?

On a forum discussing the resort hotels and they go and release an ad heavily pushing a hotel that is closed for a large part of the season and you don't think that's worthy of discussion somehow?
I didn't say it wasn't worthy of discussion so don't put words into my mouth. I said your looking way to much into the video. What you are.
The video isn't aimed at us, it's aimed at the general public, they aren't going to know what hole the golf is themed to from that small clip. Splash Landings hasn't even confirmed it will closed for 'half the year'.

I didn't say it wasn't worthy of discussion so don't put words into my mouth. I said your looking way to much into the video. What you are.
The video isn't aimed at us, it's aimed at the general public, they aren't going to know what hole the golf is themed to from that small clip. Splash Landings hasn't even confirmed it will closed for 'half the year'.
You said I was looking too much into it without explaining why. So that to me strongly implies you didn't think it worthy of discussion.

I know that ad isn't aimed at us. That's why I said it. I know from personal experience that guests and customers hang on every word of adverts, and it's silly to run an ad with that content in it as I believe it sets would be guests up for disappointments when there was so many better clips they could have put in there that would have been more appropriate. I apologise if I did not articulate that well enough in my original post.

In defence of the advert it's the first one I've seen in years that uses real footage! Never a fan of seeing Theme Parks in CGI, gives the impression they are hiding something...

Promotions for new rides are an exception, you can't show what isn't there yet.

You can also see flying pirate ships, a water slide that goes upside down and a rollercoaster in the background that resembles nothing at Alton Towers.... I don't think the tiny portion of Driving School and Submission in the background is really that big of an issue. :p

Last year, the Sun hotel code deal was only 30% off not 50% :rolleyes:

I had to double check this as I was sure I got 50% off last year and I did!

f3e569b53d4c4f9db3a98a669968288a.png

Not sure how I managed to get 50% off if it was lowered to 30%, but hey, not complaining! :D Hopefully Merlin don't hunt me down to pay back the difference! *hides*

I wont be booking any stays this year with the stupid prices they are charging. I only stayed last year once and that was because of a very good Groupon offer.

You can also see flying pirate ships, a water slide that goes upside down and a rollercoaster in the background that resembles nothing at Alton Towers.... I don't think the tiny portion of Driving School and Submission in the background is really that big of an issue. :p

f3e569b53d4c4f9db3a98a669968288a.png

Not sure how I managed to get 50% off if it was lowered to 30%, but hey, not complaining! :D Hopefully Merlin don't hunt me down to pay back the difference! *hides*

Well I only got 30% off last year :( perhaps it might have been a regional test to see if reducing the promotion to 30% in certain region to see if the take up is the same as the rest. I've just shredded all my paperwork, so I can't double check.

Edit = I've just asked my wife to see if see can remember what % we got off last year, she said it definitely wasn't 50% as in previous years, she confirmed that we only got 30% off and no more

Last edited:

Sorry James...

...I have to hold my hands up and I owe you an apology. I've checked my bank statements to see how much I paid and when I found the payments for my hotel stays this year, I actually booked them in December 2015. So it looked like I took up the offer of the 30% off sales not the Sun code :oops:

I been trying to find out when the Scarefest and fireworks are on for this year so I can book some hotel stays. So far nothing is mentioned on the website.

The interesting thing is that if I tired to book just B&B for the 4th November, it just says "We can't fulfil your party on this date for the type of accommodation you have selected. Please try a different search." I can only book it with park tickets??? Any one else having the same problem??? Could this mean that this years firework event won't be available to us pass holders? :mad:

The ironic thing is that the only day that you can click on the booking calendar for that weekend is only the 4th, yet the only package that it will allow is "2 Days + 1 Day Free" :eek: and when I proceed with the booking (and no I didn't fully check out a payment) a window pops up saying "Please Note: The main theme park will be closed on one or more of your days. The waterpark will remain open. Guests staying over during these dates will have one free day into the waterpark instead of the main theme park." :eek:

Also the hotel prices seem very steep considering that you are supposed to get up to 30% off

Roy :)

Last edited:
What on earth is that green... thing to the right of the photo?

And does grass floor exactly scream 'acrtic' to anyone?