• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

I didn't think they did a room only option? I think literally every single option comes with breakfast at both splash and ATH?

thefatone said:
I didn't think they did a room only option? I think literally every single option comes with breakfast at both splash and ATH?

They don't, breakfast comes automatically with your booking. Although you can choose which Restaurant to eat in.

Personally never again in splash! although they are both family hotels of course, nothing was more annoying than constant kids running around. Whilst over in ATH it seems like kids still have a great time,as i did back in the 90's there, but with being parented and not asbos. Almost had a heart attack when i saw the price of the buffet compared to the price i payed many moons ago. Plus it needs a real outside area ( not the one by margs bar as it seems like a smoking area in an airport) they can put some beach in,deck chairs etc, would be great but would never happen. Nothing beats lying on the grass outside on a hot summers day with a pint in ATH

A few updates from the Alton Towers hotel:

- All the rooms on floor 2 on the reception side of the hotel are now open and all have new bathrooms, the rest of the room is the same as before. I believe the bathrooms are similar style to the moon rooms (without the moon themeing of course)!

- The rooms on the other side of floor 2 are now having their bathrooms refurbished.

- All the rooms on floor 3 on the reception side of the hotel continue to be refurbished (they have been closed for a month or two now), I believe these are being turned in to moon rooms (or maybe another theme?), as from the outside you can see they are doing more than just the bathrooms, they have also drilled holes in the wall of each room to fit the air conditioning units like the moon rooms had done last year.

- Also for some reason (I have no idea why), one of the windows/doors in the Alton Towers hotel has been removed.

Here are a few photos:
62911_603639389706509_1976417956_n.jpg

148275_603639149706533_228834205_n.jpg

1560519_603639159706532_405331901_n.jpg

1797601_603639156373199_1584419649_n.jpg

1620747_603639433039838_851276778_n.jpg

1891120_603639529706495_2013232871_n.jpg

1609616_603639629706485_914201668_n.jpg

1656432_603641183039663_1698438811_n.jpg

The new bathrooms look good from the glimpse we got through an open door of a room that was getting cleaned (couldn't get a pic).

As for the rest of the hotel experience this weekend, for me at least Flambo's was the best i have experienced it. I have never been a fan but it was generally quite an enjoyable dining experience on the Friday. Especially enjoying the addition of continental meats and a cheese board.

On the down-side however Secret Garden was decidedly average at best and not really worth the cost. A few peoples meals where poor to say the least too. The bars where mostly well staffed though in the evening (not in the afternoon), and Dragon Bar staff where willing to make "off menu" cocktails which was nice.... Which ever numpty removed Long Island Ice Teas off the menu needs to consider their expertise in the field of cocktails.

I, happened to be situated in the rooms with the new bathrooms last weekend, even though we were stuck right on the end of a Zumba corridor and we were woken every morning at 7am by the Zumba man shoving leaflets through our door, they are a pleasant surprise. Not only have the bathrooms been redone, they also have cleaned the curtains and the dresser sides, making it all look and feel a lot better. As for the bathrooms, they aren't themed like a moon room, however they are a very big improvement on previous. The awful lighting has been changed to a much more suited brightness, and the sinks and bath are marble, with a very nice toilet. It may not be well themed, but I think it is a very big improvement and actually made me want to use the bathrooms instead of hating every second in there. I have a few pictures, however they aren't with me now, so I will post them later on. Overall, they have finally done something good with the bathrooms, and hopefully after all the rooms look like this as it will be a lot better for the guests :D

That sounds positive. I actually didn't mind the bathrooms before; they weren't great but I've seen a lot worse. Looking forward to seeing the new ones.

:)

A couple of things from the weekend with the hotels. The new moon voyager rooms on the top floor of the hotel look pretty much complete. The corridor is now finished and so are the doors and lights.

In other news new for 2014 is the Interactive Dinner Show located in the State Room. The Pirate-themed event includes a buffet-style three course meal, family entertainment, a 5-piece band and DJ! The evening costs £35 for adults and £22.50 for children.

For more information visit the short breaks section here: http://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/Easter-short-breaks/#Entertainment

To me this is what they did last Easter in the stateroom, that involved family entertainment with Sir Algernon, a live band and a DJ. the only difference was that it was free and didn't involve the meal. At £35 it seems rather a lot for something that was free last Easter!

So they're doing paid entertainment now?!

What a rip off. I know you're paying for the meal in effect. Although what a way to put a middle finger up to guests who cannot fork out over £100 extra just for a meal and evening entertainment.

Even if you're just a family of 2 adults and 2 children - that's £115!

I hope this flops as it's pure daylight robbery. If I'm there this Easter I will stay next to the ship in ATH with a quiet drink. Unless they want to start charging to sit next to the ship at night...

There will still be the usual entertainment in the hotels as well I believe , this us something extra to the normal ents.

I think the concept is fine as it's only really like having a separate food and entertainment venue (as said there will still be ents in main hotels) but I do think it may be priced a bit too high. Unless you are getting more than is currently listed.

If they do the same as last year the hotel with have a solo singer. Which is no problem (it was quite nice last year in fact, like being back in the hotel in the 90s!). They will probably have Pirate Bill too. Although for something that was free last year it's quite a joke they are now pretty much charging for it. Come Scarefest the band will be back on the stage. Why separate this type of entertainment in Easter?

I think the idea behind this is more of last year the venue was dead (wouldn't make it financially viable the following year) - so for this Easter they are charging so there is a return on the investment. They can sugarcoat that however they like although I believe that will be the pure reason for it.

The concept of it is fine. Although it's not a new thing. It's an old free thing for all that is now charged to those selected few who have the money. That's what irks me most. If last year was dead (that was down to lack of advertising really!) I highly doubt it being paid will attract people any more. However much they milk the 3-course meal with it.

The old band was scrapped a while ago in favour of just the singers, and there are plans for other free entertainments at the hotel I believe. So I don't think the free entertainment is getting cut in favour of a paid event.

I do still think that this is costing too much when you can get a 3 course meal and SG for £24.

£10 or so on top of dinner cost for an evening of entertainment, if this is done well that does seem a reasonable price. Warwick Castle charge £60 for their evening packages (although these include wine or beer).

So a quick look at the new ATH bathrooms, think they look really nice and about time too!

1186022_616748551728926_2139472707_n.jpg

Photo from TS Facebook

I'm sure they look better to the eye, but that photo makes them look incredibly bland.

Can't complain that they have (eventually) got round to doing the bathrooms, that said there really isn't much to say about them from that picture.

If this was a budget hotel I would say that the fact they were clean and functional was all that mattered, but the Alton Towes Hotel is clearly not a cheap stay and therefore they should be something a bit more special.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Can't complain that they have (eventually) got round to doing the bathrooms, that said there really isn't much to say about them from that picture.

If this was a budget hotel I would say that the fact they were clean and functional was all that mattered, but the Alton Towes Hotel is clearly not a cheap stay and therefore they should be something a bit more special.

I believe the ultimate plan is to have all the ATH rooms themed to a Sir Algenon adventure (they have done more Moon rooms this closed season). I think they just realised that the old bathrooms where in a terrible state and needed a quick fix before they get the full refurb.

The base materials (bath, sink, toilet) are i think the same or similar to the moon room ones, there is just no theming. Something i suppose they can sort when they retheme the room.

Dave said:
The base materials (bath, sink, toilet) are i think the same or similar to the moon room ones, there is just no theming. Something i suppose they can sort when they retheme the room.

Hopefully something a bit more substantial than plastic vinyls this time.

:)