• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

I guess back in 1996 mobile phone batteries lasted a week and therefore you didn't need to charge them in your room.
More like:
In 1996, 85% of Alton's guests would never have even held a mobile phone. The remaining 15% were given theirs by work, and would most likely leave it at home or in the car 'for emergencies' when taking their family to a theme park.

It’s the biggest problem in all hotels and not just at towers, the lack of plugs.

If you have four people in a room chances are you’ll have four mobiles plugged in, plus maybe a iPad or camera, etc.

However top tip, there is usually a 4 plug hidden behind the tv, where you can plug your things in. If not the modern TVs also have USB ports where you can charge phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the biggest problem in all hotels and not just at towers, the lack of plugs.

If you have four people in a room chances are you’ll have four mobiles plugged in, plus maybe a iPad or camera, etc.

However top tip, there is usually a 4 plug hidden behind the tv, where you can plug your things in. If not the modern TVs also have USB ports where you can charge phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See - this is why I take an extension lead with me wherever I stay. It just makes things so much easier for everyone!

See - this is why I take an extension lead with me wherever I stay. It just makes things so much easier for everyone!
Thank god it not just me that does that.
One 2 metre 4 gang. And one 9 metre 2 gang roll.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Mine's only a 1m 4-gang, but it does the job perfectly fine. If there are more plug sockets in the room than one would usually expect, then that's great, but it doesn't happen very often.

Just make sure you don't overload the sockets, or you might end up with a gangbang.
(Sorry. Couldn't resist).

I have a charger with four USB outlets on it that I only ever use two of. But I still take a fourway with me.

I've also acquired a charger with four USB outlets on it recently. Only because I left my iPhone charger in one of the Lodges after Fireworks, but it seemed like a good excuse to get one anyway, as I'd been thinking about getting one for a while. :p

Just make sure you don't overload the sockets, or you might end up with a gangbang.
(Sorry. Couldn't resist).
I don't know whether to laugh at that or point out a 5v 2.1amp charger will take 0.15amps (15mA) at 230v. And a single socket is rated to deliver 13Amp, thats a lot of usb chargers.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I don't know whether to laugh at that or point out a 5v 2.1amp charger will take 0.15amps (15mA) at 230v. And a single socket is rated to deliver 13Amp, thats a lot of usb chargers.
Depends how many extentions you chain off each other. I smell a challenge!
EDIT: some quick and dirty (and knowing me, most likely totally wrong) maths says you'd need something in the region of 90 iPads all charging at once from a single socket to even get close to blowing a fuse.

Many hotels have improved recently. I’ve stayed in some where there was two sockets either side of the bed and two USB sockets each side as well.

I've never had any problem with finding extra sockets in hotels.

Sometimes you just need to look around the room, sometimes under the desk/table. Often there are extra socket hidden where the TV, hair dryer, table lamp, trousers press etc... are plugged into

I've never had any problem with finding extra sockets in hotels.

Sometimes you just need to look around the room, sometimes under the desk/table. Often there are extra socket hidden where the TV, hair dryer, table lamp, trousers press etc... are plugged into

In a modern recently built or refurbished room you shouldn't need to find extra sockets though, they should be obvious. The iPhone is 10 years old, charging a mobile phone at night isn't a new thing.

In a modern recently built or refurbished room you shouldn't need to find extra sockets though, they should be obvious. The iPhone is 10 years old, charging a mobile phone at night isn't a new thing.

TBH, when I out for a day out, I charge my phone up before I go and I then switch the thing off for the day. I only have a phone on me for emergency use only. At the end of the day, I'm on a day out, I'm too busy enjoying a day out at a theme-park (zoo, the beach, meal out or wherever I'm visiting) to worry about incoming calls, social media etc...

Too often I see people in Hex for example, heads buried in their phones missing the pre-shows. If you are on a day out, especially with friends, then enjoy the place and the company of your friends without being rude and anti-sociable by checking your phone every 5 minutes...

...I've lived for many years without having to be a slave to my phone.

That way your battery will last for a few days and won't require charging

TBH, when I out for a day out, I charge my phone up before I go and I then switch the thing off for the day. I only have a phone on me for emergency use only. At the end of the day, I'm on a day out, I'm too busy enjoying a day out at a theme-park (zoo, the beach, meal out or wherever I'm visiting) to worry about incoming calls, social media etc...

My phone is also often my camera, I took a lot of pictures at Alton Towers on it (and it is nice to post some straight to Facebook/Instagram), also checking queue times, using it to pay for things (Apple Pay) and other functions. In fact the least used thing on my iPhone is incoming calls.

I would say you are an exception keeping a phone turned off and for emergency only, I would imagine 80% of people probably have a phone on them and switched on.
In 2015 it was reported that 76% of mobile phone users have smart phones and only 75% of them make a phone call once a week. I would say most smartphones need charging every night and therefore most families are going to be looking for two sockets within their hotel room.

My phone is also often my camera, I took a lot of pictures at Alton Towers on it (and it is nice to post some straight to Facebook/Instagram), also checking queue times, using it to pay for things (Apple Pay) and other functions. In fact the least used thing on my iPhone is incoming calls.

I would say you are an exception keeping a phone turned off and for emergency only, I would imagine 80% of people probably have a phone on them and switched on.
In 2015 it was reported that 76% of mobile phone users have smart phones and only 75% of them make a phone call once a week. I would say most smartphones need charging every night and therefore most families are going to be looking for two sockets within their hotel room.
We recently got a charger with two ports, which can charge two phones at once. Very useful as no one has to unplug somone else's phone to put theirs on. :)

You can even get chargers with four ports too!

You can even get chargers with four ports too!

I was glad that we had one of the ones with four ports (was a bargain too from Ikea) last time at Alton Towers Hotel as there was only one socket by the kettle.

It is nicer/easier to have one on each side of the bed though so you can turn alarms off or check the time easier.

Replacing a standard double socket with a new one with double USB ports on it as well takes around 2 mins to do and costs very little. I know because I've done a few in my house.

So the solution to the socket problem in the rooms is incredibly cheap, quick and simple and doesn't require full room renovations to achieve.