• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

General Hotel Discussion

Replacing a standard double socket with a new one with double USB ports on it as well takes around 2 mins to do and costs very little. I know because I've done a few in my house.

So the solution to the socket problem in the rooms is incredibly cheap, quick and simple and doesn't require full room renovations to achieve.

But there is no way to charge an up-charge (no pun intended) for the use of the USB socket for charging purposes. Towers will see it as expenditure that does not increase profits.

Getting waaaay off topic but I don't like those sockets with built-in USB sockets for two reasons:
  • Safety - there is no way to switch off the USB sockets. The transformer is permanently live and if something goes wrong you have no way to disconnect it
  • Energy usage - as above, the transformer is pulling energy 24/7 even when nothing is plugged into it.

Getting waaaay off topic but I don't like those sockets with built-in USB sockets for two reasons:
  • Safety - there is no way to switch off the USB sockets. The transformer is permanently live and if something goes wrong you have no way to disconnect it
  • Energy usage - as above, the transformer is pulling energy 24/7 even when nothing is plugged into it.

Maybe with the cheap ones you get off ebay and so on but I have some of these. They draw no power when not in use and switch between 1a and 2a automatically.

https://www.mkelectric.com/Document...e/Catalogue PDF/UKMK393-0315-EN_USB_FINAL.pdf

Not wanting to sound like an oaf, but I haven't noticed any increase in my electric bill and my house is yet to burn down, as is everyone else's who owns such sockets.

Although admittedly my knowledge of electricity extends merely to the fictional character of Raiden from the Mortal Kombat series.

Not wanting to sound like an oaf, but I haven't noticed any increase in my electric bill and my house is yet to burn down, as is everyone else's who owns such sockets.

Although admittedly my knowledge of electricity extends merely to the fictional character of Raiden from the Mortal Kombat series.
I guess it's the same as leaving your phone charger plugged in all the time. I was under the impression it wouldn't draw power unless it was in use.

I guess it's the same as leaving your phone charger plugged in all the time. I was under the impression it wouldn't draw power unless it was in use.
Oh this is all so painfully off topic but I have to butt in...
Yes, they will use power when idle but such small amounts its not worth thinking about, take the following article for example:
https://www.howtogeek.com/231886/tested-should-you-unplug-chargers-when-youre-not-using-them/
Using their calculations a socket with 2 separate USB transformers (as opposed to the cheaper single transformer models) would use an average 0.876kWh over a year if idle the whole time. Using the current UK average electricity cost of 12.4p per kWh that would give a yearly cost of just under 11p.

Oh this is all so painfully off topic but I have to butt in...
Yes, they will use power when idle but such small amounts its not worth thinking about, take the following article for example:
https://www.howtogeek.com/231886/tested-should-you-unplug-chargers-when-youre-not-using-them/
Using their calculations a socket with 2 separate USB transformers (as opposed to the cheaper single transformer models) would use an average 0.876kWh over a year if idle the whole time. Using the current UK average electricity cost of 12.4p per kWh that would give a yearly cost of just under 11p.
Ah but how many rooms does Alton Towers' three hotels have? That could soon add up! :D

As for my own use case, my electricity is included in my rent. Sorry, earth :(

Looking through recent trip advisor reviews of the Enchanted Village I came across this photo which made me laugh and wince in equal measure. 'A delightful stay in an enchanting Woodland Lodge' says the marketing material.

sigh.

photo3jpg.jpg

Last edited:
MMMMM mould. Who'd have thought wooden clad shipping containers slapped in a field in the Staffs Moorlands known for its searing heat any dryness would ever get damp and scabby.

Cant wait for the Peasant Pods in 2 years to be rotting and rusting away.

What exactly is that photo of? It looks like whoever took it ripped the toilet off the floor?

I mean, seriously, has whoever designed congealed that so-called "theming" ever seen a door‽ The window just shows the plain wall behind it, proving that it's not real to even the dumbest child. At least stick a handle / knob on it.

They were meant to put USB charging points in the window but ran out of money...! :p

What would have been good if there was a recess behind the door where they could hide a magical bag of sweets for children staying in the room just to make it a bit special for them. Or if not sweets, a keyring, fridge magnet, anything really...