• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Giving blood and its associated homophobia

ChocolateStarfish said:
AshleeKel said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
Most cases of HIV are in gay men, end off, its near as damn impossible for a Heterosexual to catch it unless you guessed it you have a blood transfusion.

Africa is in the grip of a HIV epidemic. The continent is well known for its institutionalised homophobia. They aren't all having blood transfusions. I think that's enough evidence to point out how ridiculous that comment is.

Your viewpoint is both wildly incorrect and homophobic. Next time, think before you say something so stupid.

So Africans are going around being unfaithful to one another are they!!! Now who's being stupid.
I suggest you do a bit of reading in the subject before spouting off.

Perhaps you can name a few famous straight people who have died from Aids because I'm stuggling.

The thing is I can almost agree about the long term relationship thing but the risks are too great at the moment.

Africa's AIDS epidemic can be linked to the severe lack of condoms, the shocking frequency of rape, the lack of education and medicine amongst others. This is basic information.

Famous straight people who have died from AIDS? Off the top of my head - Eazy-E. Magic Johnson, whilst still alive, is HIV-positive.

If you think the risk is too great from a faithful, monogamous couple, then it says a lot about you. Although the tone of your posts have revealed a lot about you too.

Jonathan said:
Also, it's worth bearing in mind that condoms aren't as widely used in Africa as they are in Western countries, so the rate of any STI - including HIV - is likely to be a lot higher.

No shit Sherlock glad you pointed that out maybe you should send a letter to the pope.

Black people coming from Africa should not be allowed to give blood your right, but Black straight uk guys are only as likely as white straight UK guys to have it so should not be banned.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Black people coming from Africa should not be allowed to give blood your right, but Black straight uk guys are only as likely as white straight UK guys to have it so should not be banned.
Hang on - where the heck did I say that?!

ChocolateStarfish said:
EuroSatch said:
Troll guys. Just remember that

What, with 117 posts??? Come on, I don't agree so must be a troll. This is why I don't come in coffee corner.

OVER AND OUT.
118 posts :)

ChocolateStarfish said:
EuroSatch said:

What, with 117 posts??? Come on, I don't agree so must be a troll. This is why I don't come in coffee corner.

OVER AND OUT.
We are just saying your points to back your opinions are useless as they are not FACT. And are thus silly and make you look slightly stupid and the way you present your opinions is slightly trollish. :)

Just to point it out as it annoys me, its either over or out. Not both, just something annoying that films spread.

alee298 said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
EuroSatch said:

OVER AND OUT.
We are just saying your points to back your opinions are useless as they are not FACT. And are thus silly and make you look slightly stupid and the way you present your opinions is slightly trollish. :)

No your not, you wouldn't know facts if they smacked you around the head and said hello I'm facts.

What you and some others are saying is we don't agree and rather than come up with a good argument we are just going to try and discredit you and call you names of which troll is one.
Tony Blair new labour tactics at there worse.

Troll is a term used on here for you don't agree with what I'm saying so rather than back up my argument with facts i'm just going to be lazy as i will get backed by the usual status quo.

Now lets look at facts, heterosexuals very rarly contract HIV, homosexuals far more commonly do.
In the western world AIDS is a predominant gay disease, fact.

And for the record homophobia is a stupid word, phobia means you are afraid of something. I'm not afraid of guy people I just don't think it is natural or right.
That is my view and I don't really care if you think it fits with your way of thinking or not.
If that makes me a troll then so be it.

Can we calm this topic down a bit please, we don't want a flame war here, if any side of this argument goes for personal attacks beyond this point we will take appropriate sanctions.

Argue a point by all means but argue it with calmness and facts:

For instance 49% of people living with HIV in the UK are straight compared with 43% of being gay. Though foreign travel has a big impact (Source: Health Protection Agency).

Whether you agree with the etymology of the term or not, everything you have said above makes you by common definition homophobic. We all know words take new meaning, so perhaps quit trying to be clever and just accept your prejudices.

Anyway, you're in the wrong place for such prejudices. And you're also stating loose opinion as fact. Straight people 'rarely' contract HIV do they? I suppose it's not your responsibility to carry s condom either as the girl should be careful enough to be on the pill, and if she isn't it's her fault.

Blaze said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
I'm not afraid of gay people I just don't think it is natural or right.
So you are then.

Errrr no, I pity them.

If its so natural why are gay people so afraid to tell there families? It's because they are ashamed.

Team Edit - Although this may be a view that most will not agree with, it's been decided to leave this post here as there have been sensible rebuttals for the poster's view and we do not wish to censor people's personal views. As always, we ask everyone to be constructive in their replies and refrain from personal attacks

Starfish edit: its nice not to see censorship of ones views because they are considered not to fit with a very vocal minority.
I really don't see the problem in saying how it is.

ChocolateStarfish said:
And for the record homophobia is a stupid word, phobia means you are afraid of something. I'm not afraid of guy people I just don't think it is natural or right.
That is my view and I don't really care if you think it fits with your way of thinking or not.
If that makes me a troll then so be it.

Firstly, homophobia isn't a stupid word, as a lot of violence and bigotry is caused by what people are fearful of. It certainly fits a purpose. Like 'transphobia' (a prejudice of trans people), it's just the word used to describe bigotry aimed at LGBT people.

But I really take issue with your view that homosexuality isn't natural or right. It might be your 'opinion' but it's flat-out bigotry. Having many friends who identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual, I don't tolerate homophobia whatsoever. It's a truly disgusting outlook to have.

If its so natural why are gay people so afraid to tell there families? It's because they are ashamed.

When I came out as being transgender, I wasn't worried because I was ashamed (far from it, I'm very proud of my trans identity). I was worried about being disowned by friends and family. It's the bigotry of others that makes life so hard for LGBT people.

Back on topic please guys.

CS, you're of course entitled to your opinion, but the nature of your morals does make you biased in one particular direction. By the same token, my being gay makes me biased in the other direction.

For the sake of balance, do any straight dead-centre hermaphrodites have anything to say on this? :p

ChocolateStarfish said:
Errrr no, I pity them.

We don't need your pity thanks. If I was your son, I'd be ashamed to have you as a dad because I wouldn't be able to come out to you due to your view on homosexuality.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Blaze said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
I'm not afraid of gay people I just don't think it is natural or right.
So you are then.

Errrr no, I pity them.

Team Edit - Although this may be a view that most will not agree with, it's been decided to leave this post here as there have been sensible rebuttals for the poster's view and we do not wish to censor people's personal views. As always, we ask everyone to be constructive in their replies and refrain from personal attacks

Starfish edit: its nice not to see censorship of ones views because they are considered not to fit with a very vocal minority.
If you pity them, why are you so against them? Surely if you pitied them you'd want to make things better for them?

You don't pity them, you just don't like them. Which is fine, just don't watch films, listen to dance music, wear nice clothes or get a decent haircut, because clearly, they're not for you.

As for minority, I think you'll find you're in the minority.

ChocolateStarfish said:

Except you're not saying 'how it is' at all.

You stated gay people must be ashamed of themselves because some are scared to come out to their families. I've already explained why this isn't the case:

AshleeKel said:
When I came out as being transgender, I wasn't worried because I was ashamed (far from it, I'm very proud of my trans identity). I was worried about being disowned by friends and family. It's the bigotry of others that makes life so hard for LGBT people.

You're wrong on this point. You're wrong on saying homosexuality isn't 'right' or 'natural'. You are free to say these things, but we are also free to call you out on your ignorance and bigotry.