• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Giving blood and its associated homophobia

It's not homophobia, it's the latent dregs of HIV hysteria, and hysteria leads to bad decisions, informed at times with a hint of homophobia.

The fact is they can't justify the questionnaire hence why they never try to.

I've heard recently that developments in testing for HIV/AIDS have come a long way recently and there'll soon be home testing kits. So surely once we can test it quickly, they'll have to get rid of the homophobia?

It's also odd it's so interested in whether you've put it in another man recently, but not "have you shagged a dog in the last 12 months", because I know which sort of person I'd rather get blood off, and it's not the second one.

Blaze said:
I've heard recently that developments in testing for HIV/AIDS have come a long way recently and there'll soon be home testing kits. So surely once we can test it quickly, they'll have to get rid of the homophobia?

It's also odd it's so interested in whether you've put it in another man recently, but not "have you shagged a dog in the last 12 months", because I know which sort of person I'd rather get blood off, and it's not the second one.

Good points, brashly made!

Blaze said:

1. There's still an inaccuracy rate and HIV has a latent phase where it is possible to be undetectable by even the best tests. This inaccuracy rate is being reduced, it's never been a test of speed more so that the tests have to be done over a period as you could be in a window latent phase.

2. This all comes down to statistics. MSM is 'relatively' more common than shagging a dog. At least I think/hope it is. You could ask every individual who gives blood a thousand and one questions, all utterly irrelevant. Unfortunately, having sex with a man 'is' relevant at this present time. Even if the criteria could be considered somewhat 'too' strict.

Just dragging this thread out of the dark ages because I saw an update today regarding eligibility for giving blood that might be of interest.

The questions asked will be amended from tomorrow. More details around the questions are:

• We will now ask all donors if they have had a new sexual partner, or multiple partners, in the last 3 months
  • Anyone who has had anal sex with a new partner or multiple partners in the last three months will not be able to give blood at that time, regardless of their gender or their partner’s gender.

Essentially if you are in long term relationship you are ok to give blood, no matter your sex or the sex of your parter. Or if you have had sex with a new partner recently, but not anal sex, then again you are ok to give blood.

https://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaigns/news-and-statements/fair-steering-group/

For me and I am sure many others, this means I will be able to give blood for the first time.

Last edited: