• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Glastonbury

GooseOnTheLoose

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Ug Bugs
Who knew that there wasn't a dedicated Glastonbury thread already? I guess spending five days, during the summer, in a field in Somerset, takes away perfectly good coaster riding time.

I love Glastonbury. Sadly I couldn't make it this year, so I plan on parking myself in front of the BBC's live coverage as much as I can.

Once again BBC iPlayer will carry live streams from the five largest stages at Glastonbury. Frustratingly, there's never an easy schedule which allows you to visualise who is on when, on which stage, and whom they may clash with. Luckily you have this Goose, who is sadly not on the loose, to save you from being frustrated. I present to you a guide to the BBC live Glastonbury coverage for the weekend (starting tomorrow):

Friday:
Glastonbury 2024 Schedule - Friday.png
Saturday:
Glastonbury 2024 Schedule - Saturday.png
Sunday:
Glastonbury 2024 Schedule - Sunday.png

Is there any particular set you're looking forward to? Any clashes you feel would be a nightmare if you were there? Are you just not particularly bothered at all and feel like it's a massive waste of time and taxpayers money?

It's the weakest lineup I can recall, really underwhelming. Sunday is just the worst.

I'd be looking to see Squeeze, Paul Heaton, Bombay Bicycle Club, Jessie Ware, Keane, Block Party, Orbital.

Hopefully there's a lot of stuff I don't know yet that's great, and that's the most important thing really. But is that really the best that can be found for headliners?

I know people say this every year, but I really feel like the Pyramid stage lineup is the worst ever. And I know that's usually a sign of getting older, in a "never heard of them!" way, but I have heard everyone on there, and they either lack the gravitas for the headlining role or were already there in the nineties.

Luckily, it's Glastonbury, and there are 100000 other things to watch and do. I turned down guestlist for this edition, it's just too massive for me and my gammy leg these days, plus I am trying to drink and get off my nut less at the moment, and inevitably would have spent next week curled up in a ball. I reckon I'll do it in the future if I can save in advance and spring for a yurt.

Chimp asked this morning if we would ever go to Glastonbury… my immediate reaction was “have you SEEN the toilets??” (Not that I have, but I’ve heard horror stories).

For me, Seasick Steve, Last Dinner Party, Squeeze and Little Simz. No where near enough to actually make me contemplate going. Probably won’t even watch it on tv, cos I’ll forget.

I think the only way I’d do Glasto would be if I could afford the VIP yurts - so never, basically 😂

I think it's the strongest since COVID. I'm aware that lots of bands won't play Glastonbury, unless they're guaranteed a BBC covered stage, because the festival just don't pay much at all (and certainly much less than other UK festivals). Most artists playing Glastonbury make a loss and a hit doing it, but they do it for the prestige. With income and corners being cut for every artist's stream, it's possible that many just can't afford to do it anymore. Especially with the recent additional financial and time costs for EU artists, now that they have to pay for visas (for them and their crew).

Friday is Bombay Bicycle Club, Idles, Jungly, Arlo Parks, Declan McKenna, Sampha, The Vaccines and Fontaines DC for me.

Saturday is Michael Kiwanuka, Little Simz, The Staves, Last Dinner Party, Bloc Party, Black Pumas, Yard Act, Gossip and Orbital.

Sunday is Nothing But Thieves, Two Door Cinema Club, The National, Justice, Brittany Howard, James Blake and London Grammar.

There's plenty happening on stages that aren't covered by BBC live streams, but The Pyramid is definitely the weakest we've seen it in a few years. Then again, I feel that way every time The Coldplays appear.

Now I’ll admit to not being particularly into music, and I’ll admit that the idea of going to a music festival has never appealed to me whatsoever, for a smorgasbord of reasons.

But I must admit that I was absolutely stunned by how few names I actually recognised within that list of acts, which would imply to me that it’s either a weak year for Glastonbury or that I’m very out of touch with modern music despite seemingly being in the prime age demographic for things like Glastonbury, being a Gen Z-er born in 2003 (probably the far more likely explanation!).

Out of the names playing on the Pyramid stage (which I gather is the main stage where the headline acts play?) on any of the 3 days, I only recognised 4 names out of the 21 total acts. The only Pyramid stage acts across all 3 days that I’ve heard of are Dua Lipa, Cyndi Lauper, Shania Twain and Paloma Faith, and the only one where I know a back catalogue of their music beyond 1 or 2 songs is Dua Lipa. That is unless “The Coldplays” are just a rebranded Coldplay… I’m guessing that’s not the case, though!

That is unless “The Coldplays” are just a rebranded Coldplay… I’m guessing that’s not the case, though!
Ah Matt, I can tell you're not a music fan and I am sorry to have confounded you! The Coldplays is my very immature and poor nickname for the band Coldplay.

Coldplay came about at a time when everybody had an article "The" before their band name. Considering that Coldplay aren't very cool, and their music is mundane and middle of the road (as far as I'm concerned) I've always referred to them as The Coldplays.

Glastonbury isn't always about well established powerhouse acts. It's about new and fringe music, people who are up and coming. It's about discovery and artists who can entertain a crowd on a very hot summer's day. I personally find it thrilling that I don't know every act who appears, it shows that the festival caters to a wide musical taste. Some of my favourite moments are stumbling across an act you've never heard of before, one who may not encapsulate your normal music taste, and then being completely and utterly blown away by them.

Not The Coldplays though, never The Coldplays. No one should ever be subjected to The Coldplays.

Do check out Michael Kiwanuka's set though, he always nails it.

Ah Matt, I can tell you're not a music fan and I am sorry to have confounded you! The Coldplays is my very immature and poor nickname for the band Coldplay.

Coldplay came about at a time when everybody had an article "The" before their band name. Considering that Coldplay aren't very cool, and their music is mundane and middle of the road (as far as I'm concerned) I've always referred to them as The Coldplays.

Glastonbury isn't always about well established powerhouse acts. It's about new and fringe music, people who are up and coming. It's about discovery and artists who can entertain a crowd on a very hot summer's day. I personally find it thrilling that I don't know every act who appears, it shows that the festival caters to a wide musical taste. Some of my favourite moments are stumbling across an act you've never heard of before, one who may not encapsulate your normal music taste, and then being completely and utterly blown away by them.

Not The Coldplays though, never The Coldplays. No one should ever be subjected to The Coldplays.

Do check out Michael Kiwanuka's set though, he always nails it.
Ah, that makes sense! I was expecting “The Coldplays” to be some sort of Coldplay knock-off or parody band… thanks for the clarification! In that case, that does mean I know 5 of the 21 headline acts, which makes me marginally less out of touch!

I think music is just one of those things I don’t really “get”. Don’t get me wrong, I can objectively appreciate a good song or a good piece of music if I hear it, but I don’t go particularly mad for music. I certainly wouldn’t call myself a music lover or much of a music “enthusiast”, anyhow.

I was simply surprised at how few of the headlining acts I actually knew. Living in the South West and getting BBC Points West as the local news, I get absolutely hammered with Glastonbury hype on the local news every year, and I gather that in previous years, they’ve had lots of really big hitters that I’ve heard of. For instance, I seem to remember them having quite a lot of people I knew last year, with Elton John generating a lot of hype as the headline draw.

I've got tickets to see Jungle later in the year so quite looking forward to seeing them.

Can't believe they're subjecting people to Keane and Coldplay on the same stage on the same day, just seems cruel.
The crowd staying to see them both are going to be awfully confused, and possibly out of their depth, when Little Simz comes on!

Probably the weakest headliners, especially as the new Dua Lipa album was a big let down. I like The Coldplays' earlier stuff even if it is very MOTR but their last few records have stunk. Even so, I'd probably still see them for the spectacle and singalong, especially as the last two Disclosure albums weren't very consistent and I've already seen them. I am NOT a Lib Dem, do not put in the newspaper that I am a Lib Dem. SZA is good but her music is hardly big last night of a festival exciting. At the very least they should have shuffled them around a bit and had her on the Friday. Fair play for giving her the nod but I'd have thought Little Simz should have got it. Maybe they didn't want an all British headline line up but I would have thought she's bigger over here than SZA and as far as I'm concerned there's almost nobody opperating on her level right now.

The rest of the line up has a lot of good stuff though, and less clashes than I feared. If we were going (and ignoring everything else there) we'd probably go something like:
Friday
Annie Mac > Bary Can't Swim or Remi or Headie > Confidence Man > Sugababes > PJ Harvey > Danny Brown > LCD Soundsystem (she'd send her apologies to Declan McKenna, I wouldn't) > Jamie XX

Saturday
Kneecap > Ayra Starr > Cyndi Lauper > > The Last Dinner Party > Bloc Party > Michael Kiwanuka > Little Simz > The Streets > Coldplay > hopefully the end of Peggy Gou

Sunday
Newdad > Shania Twain > Alvvays > Janelle Monae > The Burna Boy / Nia Archives / Romy clash is the hardest one for me > Justice (with maybe a bit of London Grammar or James Blake before)

Can't believe they're subjecting people to Keane and Coldplay on the same stage on the same day, just seems cruel.

I might have said the same until I saw Keane at a festival a few years back, they really are are superb live. I had the same thing with Razorlight, if they are still knocking about they are absolutely worth it.

Makes me feel sad because I've not been since 2017, having also gone in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

I know things are more expensive now but the ticket price has gone up about £100 since I last went. And I know glasto is much more than just the bands on the main stages, in fact my favourite day was the Thursday as you'd wake up in the festival and have a nice day of wandering about the now complete festival having adventures. Seeing Michael Eavis covering Elvis one year a real highlight. But with the ever ongoing costs going up if I'm paying £350 for a ticket (and let's face it at least that much again on food l, drinks, parking, and petrol) I want a decent line up of acts as well.

Went in 2011, 2015 and 2017. Agree this is a really poor line up, but it doesn't really matter when you're there as you'll always find something to do.

Have tried for tickets the last few times and got absolutely nowhere near. Between 10-15 of us all trying to get them.

Quite relieved tbf I'm too old for it now, it took a week to recover in my early 20's I dread to think how I'd cope now.

I can't imagine there being a better festival in the world tbh. Got all those stages from 12-11pm and then it turns into Tomorrowland from 11-9am.

@GooseOnTheLoose I just showed Chimpy your lists over breakfast. She’d heard of about 5 acts. At 13 she’s possibly below the target audience, but she had more chance than me I thought. Seems I was incorrect

@GooseOnTheLoose I just showed Chimpy your lists over breakfast. She’d heard of about 5 acts. At 13 she’s possibly below the target audience, but she had more chance than me I thought. Seems I was incorrect
Out of interest, please show her the Latitude lineup poster, who normally play it very safe with acts, and let's compare and contrast.

It's worth noting that Glastonbury has many more stages and activities than the 5 covered by BBC cameras. Many established artists are playing on other smaller, or not covered, stages.

1000021281.png

Out of interest, please show her the Latitude lineup poster, who normally play it very safe with acts, and let's compare and contrast.

It's worth noting that Glastonbury has many more stages and activities than the 5 covered by BBC cameras. Many established artists are playing on other smaller, or not covered, stages.

1000021281.png
On an unrelated note, very nice that on the comedy stage all four headliners are women and on the second line all the comedians are women too except Sam Campbell.

For music there is at least 18 I've heard of and about 8 I'd try and see, including The Lottery Winners, Frank Turner Keane and Duran Duran.