• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Glastonbury

is it only the pyramid stage on bbc iplayer?
No, there are five stages available on iPlayer, but it would appear that they're not covering the rest until a bit later today.

This is the bit that winds me up about the BBC's Glastonbury coverage, they're never completely transparent with when their cameras will go live or the coverage will start. It's previously been around 12 or 1pm, but I guess this year's a little later. Just keep your eyes peeled!

Edit: iPlayer has updated to show the other stages starting at 14:00 today.

I quite like Dua Lipa, she's doing alright and she has plenty of bangers, but still seems a bit of a stretch as a Glasto headliner.

I also can't listen to her without hearing this...

If you don't know the work of 'there I ruined it' be prepared to lose a few hours.

She's British, sold a load of records, a global star and her last tour she was playing sold out arenas in this country.

Saw Dua Lipa playing the middle of the day at Leeds Festival in 2018 and she absolutely smashed that.

Think with Glastonbury as well they can take more risks with headliners as its a guaranteed sell out these days. So if there's a British festival that should be taking chances on acts high up the bill it's them. Look at Coldplay in 2002, booked to headline before the second album came out and by the end of the year they were the biggest act on the planet.

I quite like Dua Lipa, she's doing alright and she has plenty of bangers, but still seems a bit of a stretch as a Glasto headliner.

I also can't listen to her without hearing this...

If you don't know the work of 'there I ruined it' be prepared to lose a few hours.
Reminds me of this...

I think the performance, production and overall quality of Dua Lipa, just on the Pyramid, was one the best performances I've ever seen on that stage..

It will go down as a legendary performance I am sure.

I wasn't really a fan before, enjoyed some of her music. I am a fan now.

Her band, dancers and of course, herself are all extremely talented.

Great that from Dua Lipa. Such a slick production and she's got some great tunes.

Looked amazing on TV, be interesting to hear how it went down for people in front of the Pyramid Stage.

+1 for tonight’s Dua Lipa set! Had no idea I actually knew that many of her songs. Really good VIBES and she seems very down to Earth as a performer.

I wasn't trying to do her down, I enjoyed what I saw.

If you look at headliners over the years there is certainly a place for newer and non guitar based artists in that space, I think I'm looking at it in the context of the other compete lineup though. The modern dance/pop/rap headliner is usually paired with bigger all time acts. Billie Eilish as probably a similar standing, that year saw Paul McCartney on the Sunday. Stormzy had the killers and the cure. Big classic acts.
There's nothing much backing up this year, and Dua Lipa just doesn't feel big enough. Where's Tae Tae?!

Anyway, I switched over to watch Jungle, and they were awesome.

Where's Tae Tae?!
She's too big for Glastonbury. She's not at a stage in her career where it would be a crowning triumph, she doesn't need the exposure (everyone knows who she is and her music) and she'll lose a lot of money doing it. It's the same reason why we've ended up with Sza in place of Madonna. If they paid them properly, however, I'm sure they'd do it. It's the Fleetwood Mac conundrum all over again.

I'm aware that Glastonbury can't pay as much as other festivals though, due to noy having any corporate sponsors and offering that exposure to Greenpeace and WaterAid.

She's too big for Glastonbury. She's not at a stage in her career where it would be a crowning triumph, she doesn't need the exposure (everyone knows who she is and her music) and she'll lose a lot of money doing it. It's the same reason why we've ended up with Sza in place of Madonna. If they paid them properly, however, I'm sure they'd do it. It's the Fleetwood Mac conundrum all over again.

I'm aware that Glastonbury can't pay as much as other festivals though, due to noy having any corporate sponsors and offering that exposure to Greenpeace and WaterAid.
I think with Madonna it was between doing her show at Glastonbury or Rio and she chose Rio. I also don't think Glastonbury could have accommodated her staging and screen setup which was fundamental to this particular show. She's done stripped-back shows before like Live 8 but in more recent years she's become a stickler for putting on shows her way. I'm sure she'll do it someday, her back catalog would be electric at Glasto. Dreaming of the very gay day when both Madonna and the Spice Girls get booked.

Also, spotted this flag on the interwebs, and it's just wonderful. 😂

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-29 at 08.31.15_cdc40627.jpg

She'll definitely do it at some point soon I think, there was no way it was getting squeezed in summer, her touring schedule is insane until the end of the year

I think with Madonna it was between doing her show at Glastonbury or Rio and she chose Rio. I also don't think Glastonbury could have accommodated her staging and screen setup which was fundamental to this particular show. She's done stripped-back shows before like Live 8 but in more recent years she's become a stickler for putting on shows her way. I'm sure she'll do it someday, her back catalog would be electric at Glasto. Dreaming of the very gay day when both Madonna and the Spice Girls get booked.

Also, spotted this flag on the interwebs, and it's just wonderful. 😂

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-29 at 08.31.15_cdc40627.jpg
With Glastonbury only paying £250,000 for a headliner, Madonna would have made a loss performing at Glastonbury and it's been widely and reputedly reported that it was down to her fee. It's not Madonna being greedy, she'd have taken a massive financial hit doing it. She wouldn't necessarily need to strip back the show, Stormzy's staging was the most expensive set up ever and was phenomenal to behold.

You might find this article, on the economics of headlining Glastonbury, quite interesting!

With Glastonbury only paying £250,000 for a headliner, Madonna would have made a loss performing at Glastonbury and it's been widely and reputedly reported that it was down to her fee. It's not Madonna being greedy, she'd have taken a massive financial hit doing it. She wouldn't necessarily need to strip back the show, Stormzy's staging was the most expensive set up ever and was phenomenal to behold.

You might find this article, on the economics of headlining Glastonbury, quite interesting!

Oh money 100% played its part as always. Stormzys staging was (afaik) stage based. Her staging for this tour included a huge runway with side stages, moving screens extending way out into the audience, as well as a moving platform. The screens play a huge part in the show. She ditched the moving platform for Rio, but it would have been amazing to see the show worked out or transformed for Glasto. It was a real crowd pleaser of a show too.