• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Glastonbury

Friends of the festival aren't they. Imagine the likes of Coldplay, Muse, and Arctic Monkeys will show up if offered every 4 or 5 years for as long as they want.

Never went to see Coldplay the year they were on at Glastonbury when I went, only ever seen them once when they headlined V Festival in 2003.

Agreed, but can you name a bigger band (with long and recent chart success) on the planet right now?
Yeah I get all that, and they're known for their bold live performances. But if Madonna, Springsteen or Taylor Swift were a possibility, I'd expect them to go all out to get them rather than "f*ck it, Coldplay will do". Don't know all the ins and outs though tbf.

Speaking of mid 00s Dad Rock; I thought Keane were really good earlier.

Glastonbury do massively underpay the headliners compared to other festivals, so it's money vs prestige for the acts who get asked. Especially nowadays when you can't even guarantee a post festival bump in album sales from the people watching at home.

Glastonbury do massively underpay the headliners compared to other festivals, so it's money vs prestige for the acts who get asked. Especially nowadays when you can't even guarantee a post festival bump in album sales from the people watching at home.

The other side of it of course is they effectively overpay unknown and new acts that individually would add nothing to the ticket sales or interest in the event, but collectively make it the place it is. If people were paid their traditionally measurable 'worth' the headliners woukd be on millions and the small guys on nothing.

This more even spreading of the wealth it creates is a good thing, and something that should be reflected in society...

The other side of it of course is they effectively overpay unknown and new acts that individually would add nothing to the ticket sales or interest in the event, but collectively make it the place it is. If people were paid their traditionally measurable 'worth' the headliners woukd be on millions and the small guys on nothing.

This more even spreading of the wealth it creates is a good thing, and something that should be reflected in society...
You'd think that, but there are many artists who won't commit to Glastonbury if they can't get a BBC covered stage, because whilst they can take a bit of a hit on their fee, they need to balance it out with exposure and streaming plays, or album buys. Glastonbury pay bugger all outside Pyramid and Other.

Damn communist...get back to the politics topic.
On topic, never been, never desired to...I would last about half a day.
I love gigs, and have done many, but I love my own bed after thanks.
I can do too much of anything, but a four day gig event...I would be dead after a couple of days.

A f
Damn communist...get back to the politics topic.
On topic, never been, never desired to...I would last about half a day.
I love gigs, and have done many, but I love my own bed after thanks.
I can do too much of anything, but a four day gig event...I would be dead after a couple of days.
This. At my age, I prefer to enjoy a gig from the comfort of my sofa, near the relief of my toilet, the warmth of my bed, and the bliss of my shower.

Bloody awful for a closing headliner.

I've tried getting tickets for Glasto for the last two years with no luck. Would love to go at least once, I have never been before.

Looks like I’ve dodged a bullet this year anyway. Dua Lipa has been my highlight, watching from home. The rest has been very meh compared to previous years.

Never really got The National, saw them at Leeds Festival years ago and they just bored me. But I'm very much enjoying them on The Other Stage tonight.