• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Great ride, but almost certainly a pain to maintain given its location (do they still fill it with seawater too?).
Yes they do. I only been on it once and that was 20 years ago but watching theme park worldwide vlogs from there seeing Charlotte’s reactions on the log flume are priceless.
They could fit a good sized coaster on that site or 4/5 flat rides
224321D7-1B86-49B5-980B-9DC8BF882782.png

Would Valhalla now be the only 3 drop flume ride left in the UK (after GYPB one goes) or is there another ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
What is this "Valhalla" you speak of?
My best mate complained that the water in the "lake" at Yarmouth was the nastiest slime he had ever played in...and come on, it was hardly a joy to behold...immaculate themeing to blend into the landscape!

Easier to have a gated park without the log flume and that area can be redeveloped with the new admission process in mind.

I always thought the logflume looked half derelict anyway. It's clearly at the end of it life, the only sad part is that it's yet another logflume gone from the UK. Gives them a nice chunk of land for future developments though.

The Log Flume and the Roller Coaster were the two iconic attractions of this park. I hate to say it but I can't imagine it being replaced with something better. Just look at the patch of land they also own just next to the Log Flume. None of the attractions they've built their have lasted long or been very popular.
I'd love to see the park make a proper expansion into that land, extending the parks gated boarders in the process, I'm just not sure that the money's there for a new headline ride.

I thought the log flume looked like an industrial process factory in a swamp pit.
About as far from an iconic attraction as I could imagine.
A local landmark, yes...but not in a good way.
I imagine very many locals will be glad to be rid of such an eyesore.
They just pulled the steel plant down close to the beach in Redcar...that was prettier!
The water was considered a real risk to health by my best mate, he would not let his kids ride it due to the apparent risk of infection.
It's time was very much up.

New admission details for 2023. Source GYPB Facebook
Excellent admission strategy.

Which other seaside park do we know (with a similar sounding name) that would benefit from something like this ?

e1c33ad55fdbfcbda03d393822b821ad.jpg

I thought the log flume looked like an industrial process factory in a swamp pit.
About as far from an iconic attraction as I could imagine.
A local landmark, yes...but not in a good way.
I imagine very many locals will be glad to be rid of such an eyesore.
They just pulled the steel plant down close to the beach in Redcar...that was prettier!
The water was considered a real risk to health by my best mate, he would not let his kids ride it due to the apparent risk of infection.
It's time was very much up.
I didn't say it looked pretty! Not going to disagree on it being an eyesore.
I will say that it wasn't much worse than everything else on that part of the beach front. Only the Roller Coaster could be classed as looking good.
But it is one of the parks iconic rides.

If the park genuinely has the resource to replace it with something good then I'll agree it's had its time. But the GY Pleasure Beach has always struck me as a park that does well enough to get by each year, but not enough to put in place major expansion plans.
In the 30 years I've been visiting the Log Flumes removal will probably be the most dramatic change the park has seen.

If the park genuinely has the resource to replace it with something good then I'll agree it's had its time. But the GY Pleasure Beach has always struck me as a park that does well enough to get by each year, but not enough to put in place major expansion plans.
In the 30 years I've been visiting the Log Flumes removal will probably be the most dramatic change the park has seen.

To be fair, for a small park they do manage to refresh their ride line up on an almost yearly basis and not just remove stuff.

Ok so there hasn't been anything major added for a number of years but at least they keep changing things and not just stagnating. (Blackpool I am looking at you!!)

Maybe the removal of the flume will give them an opportunity to add a new coaster in the future.

Aesthetics are clearly very subjective. I think log flumes look good generally, because there’s so much kinetic energy with the constantly moving water and boats. Somewhere like an amusement park doesn’t have a lot of foliage and gardens, but a log flume adds a sense of nature with all the running water. It’s also a ride that clearly looked very permanent.

Generally, I think it’s good for parks to have plenty of variety, which GYPB does. A few roller coasters, a couple of dark rides, a log flume, a fun house, a 4D cinema, a monorail, various flat rides…

I do think the park’s well run and that the owners are doing their best with what they’ve got. Will they have the money to replace the log flume with something as good or better? I hope so.

Had a nosey this evening, Found this notice on the fence outside the log flume.

IMG_20221129_164050.jpg

So the demolition is set for 12/12/2022 or a small period before that provided the council don't object.

Perhaps another PB could take notes on making the demolition of a ride public knowledge...

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_164050.jpg
    IMG_20221129_164050.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14