• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Heatwave 18th/19th July

I always refer to BBC forecasts and according to their Alton forecast, it’s going to be 39 on Monday with a feels like temperature of 41!

As of yesterday morning, Alton is also included in the red warning zone.

Rerides on Battle Galleons it is!
F4FDAEB9-D12F-482A-B1DE-C17A3D8429D5.jpeg

Met office say amber.

1657954682444.png

I would take their forecast over the BBC as being more up to date, they are the ones who set the warnings to begin with and have the most advance prediction models and computers in the UK.

I suspect the high elevation of Alton Towers - between 170m and 190m above sea level for the park sections with rides in. Will keep the temperatures slightly lower. By how much remains to be seen.

I can see some potential technical failures and issues, as while the rides in general are designed to be used in warm weather. Alton's hardware specifically will not be used to this kind of weather. So potential problems could arise.

I do not really see if many extra measures need to be put into place. This is leaning towards a nanny state where people will not take responsibility for their own actions.

Of course they have a duty of care, most certainly for staff and guests. Talking specifically for the guests, not much more than the usual. People are choosing to visit the park on those days, so they should be responsible for their own actions. With staff it is slightly different, but I am talking specifically about guests. Alton Towers are pretty flexible when changing dates due to extreme circumstances so I do not see this being any different. If people still choose to go, then they need to be responsible for their actions and stop expecting to have to be nannied throughout their day when they have made the conscious decision to go on that day.

That said, it would not hurt for extra water stations, sun cream and what not, possibly some extra shade in ride queues, which I think they most likely will do. But beyond that, I do not think it is Alton Towers responsibility to be honest.

With staff however, it is a very different kettle of fish.

It’s also nearly always hotter than the predicted temperature when it’s a hot day as well, it could kick a couple of degrees higher on the day

The outside queue for Saw: The Ride is going to be absolutely horrible on Tuesday (well, even more horrible than it is on any other day).

8041d5865b780399840f60473cd615e7.jpg

Brilliant day though for riding Tidal Wave.

You could easily cool down at towers as well by standing at the offride guns at Battle Galleons so you didn’t have to queue god knows how long the queue will be if they do open

Can't remember what year it was but it was around 33 degrees and the Smiler went tech. Our train was stopped outside the station and it took around 45 minutes to evac us with the guard rails being put up, battery pack to release restraints and all that jazz. Everyone was offered bottles of water and we were asked if we were ok on several occasions. That's duty of care and they must provide it in that situation.

If someone joins a 90 minute queue in the blistering heat without sunscreen or water then it's up to them, and nobody is forcing them to stay in the queue.

The park can only advise. Signs up outside the ticket booths warning of extreme heat and some sunscreen/hydration advice might be a good idea, or pre recorded warning and advice over the PA system now and again. After that there's not much they can do.

Isn't it important to also mention the effect that going on thrill rides in extreme heat will have. I can imagine people passing out on forceful rides like Nemesis if they aren't hydrated enough

Just as a heads up regarding Monorail and Skyride and the heat…

Monorail

- Sunday 17th: Will close at 12:30pm approx
- Monday and Tuesday: Closed

Skyride

- Closed Saturday to Tuesday, scheduled to open Wednesday

I am guessing they cannot risk people potentially being stuck in the heat for long periods of time. Made more prevelant by a heightened risk of mechanical failure due to the heat.

I am guessing they cannot risk people potentially being stuck in the heat for long periods of time. Made more prevelant by a heightened risk of mechanical failure due to the heat.
Breakdowns are part of the reasoning. But just under normal operations, they’re absolutely unbearable to ride on when it’s hot thanks to them being greenhouses when the sun is that hot. You can probably easily add another ten degrees plus to the outside temperature in the monorail cabins and Skyride gondolas. Even with tinted/screened windows they very quickly become a health hazard in the heat thanks to the lack of airflow. Even the slightest delay, never mind a breakdown could quickly become a real issue for guests.