• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Heroic Land: New theme park proposed for Calais, France

It might sound faffy, but travelling on two trains and a hourly bus to Towers from London is hardly the easiest journey in the world.

Some of the reactions here to a potential new theme park that is dead easy to get from the UK are beyond belief! You'd think some don't want it built.

This looks like a great potential development and it excites me greatly. However I have no idea how likely it is to happen. They've clearly put a lot of work into it so far though are are potentially further down the line in terms of design and development that LRCH are with Paramount at the moment.

Also, do not take preliminary concept art as gospel. We should all know that! Saying it looks like it's been drawn by two year olds is also stupid. I'm really interested to see how this develops.

:)

Well, if the park has an entire budget of £270million, those attractions are going to be basic and off the shelve!

I'm surprised GDF are getting involved in this, with the current state of the energy industry across Europe - money is incredibly tight, and investment in energy infrastructure should be much higher up their agenda.

New parks are always a welcome addition but the location is terrible.
Why would anyone want to go to Calais? The place is a dump and overcrowded with illegal immigrants attempting to get to what they see as the land of milk and honey.

Best things about Calais is the motorway out.

New parks are always a welcome addition but the location is terrible.
Why would anyone want to go to Calais? The place is a dump and overcrowded with illegal immigrants attempting to get to what they see as the land of milk and honey.

Best things about Calais is the motorway out.

Luckily the park is pretty much situated on said motorway right on the outskirts of the town (pretty much the massive junction attached to the E40 and E15)...

I had to drive through it once, it made me remember why I only ever get the Eurotunnel... Vile place...

Yeah it's shocking that people have discussed a theme park both positive and negative on a discussion forum.

Or are we only allowed to be negative about Merlin?

When someone's first comments on a potential new theme park so close to home are "Did they get a 5 year old to draw up those concepts, and the name for that matter? They don't look very professional!" then to me that is beyond belief. Surely a new theme park is exciting for theme park enthusiasts? Just seem strange to me but us Brits do love a negative mentality at times!

I love the idea of a park with big rides in Calais, hopefully it will have a nice hotel attached, and would be a perfect stopping point for trips abroard.

I also like the images, so I guess that comes down to personal opinion.

It will be interesting to see what happens, just need a new park up North to balance everything out.

Ian

Arguably the most predictable post this website has ever seen.

Thought you'd be all for something that might make Calais better and tempt people not to hide in the back of a lorry?

And arguably the most predictable response as well.
Maybe if the said immigrants claimed asylum in the first safe country they get too the wouldn't be littering Calais and making a new theme park there seem unattractive.

I've been to Calais 3 times now so I know what it's like.

As our french fan seems to be gone, here are some news from this project

A new presentation has been done on monday in Calais, here is a videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV6z3SXdY7g

The project is now entering its 3rd study phase, so nothing is sure for now, and we'll have to wait for more infos before the construction really starts.

As a french, I'm hardly interesting in this project. It does look fine, but I'm afraid they see something too big, and they won't get as many guests as expected. I see this project ending like many other parks that opened in France in the late 80's before DLRP.
Just to make the story clear for you,4 parks opened in that decade : Zygofolis And Mirapolis (both closed within 4 years), Big Bang Schtroumpf (that after many different owners is now know as Walygator Park) and Parc astérix. All of them were too big at the opening, and didn't reach the expected frequentation. Mirapolis for example expected 2.5 millions guest on its first year, when only 600 000 came!
They had to face many difficulties and only Parc Astérix remains but took years to finally make money (not mentionning Walygator that has seen many changes since it opened).
But I do hope it will open, as I would be very interested in seeing an Intamin Accelerator in France! And if so, I wish them good luck, and I for sure will visit it one day. :)

I've been following this project for a while now and it's an interesting but confusing one.

It reminds me somewhat of Rome's Rainbow Magicland. I visited that park last year and found it to be a great concept which was obviously designed to be very busy but never really took off. Same as Terra Mitica really. These new built from scratch parks are always much harder to get off the ground than parks which have had a long standing reputation.

Does anyone know if this park is happening or has it fallen through? There is a countdown timer on their website saying two years until opening? Anything else related to it is written in French which I can't translate too well!

Does anyone know if this park is happening or has it fallen through? There is a countdown timer on their website saying two years until opening? Anything else related to it is written in French which I can't translate too well!
If I was a guessing man I'd say that the project doesn't look real. I think it looks like a coursework or project for a student/pupil of some kind.

Anything else related to it is written in French which I can't translate too well!

I uses google browser which automatically translate the text. Alternatively you can use google translate and copy and paste the text into the box in this link https://translate.google.com/

This is what the webpage translate to

"In just three and half years’ time, in spring 2019, you will be able to discover this sensational new theme park in northern France.

With family and friends, experience the adventures of HEROIC LAND and its 32 attractions.

SEA WORLD invites younger visitors to explore the marvels of the underwater world. You can fly off to the world of Jules Verne at the STEAM PUNK DISTRICT.
You can discover the fantastic worlds of HEROIC-FANTASY LAND.
SCIENCE-FICTION ZONE will take you to outer space, and beyond.
You will be plunged into ancient and modern-day Japan in MANGA CITY, alongside some very well-known heroes.
You can travel across land and under the sea, in the midst of fire and through the air, thanks to the ADVENTURER'S LEAGUE.

Our bravest visitors can stay for a few days at HEROIC CITY, the commercial village next door to HEROIC LAND that will combine leisure, shopping, hotels and restaurants."