• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

'High Profile' Enthusiasts: A discussion

Do you think the behaviour of some well known enthusiasts is damaging to the parks and guests?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
When Shawn goes to parks, I've never seen him break park rules before. For example, at Alton, Shawn doesn't do what some people do and hide a GoPro inside his coat on Nemesis. From what I know, Shawn always adheres to park rules and regulations. If a park prohibits filming on rides, then Shawn simply won't film.

When Shawn goes to parks, I've never seen him break park rules before. For example, at Alton, Shawn doesn't do what some people do and hide a GoPro inside his coat on Nemesis. From what I know, Shawn always adheres to park rules and regulations. If a park prohibits filming on rides, then Shawn simply won't film.

Could be worse, he could be Andy Rumney. Now there's someone who doesn't give a toss about park rules.

Theme Park Worldwide is a guilty pleasure and I think Shawn is a good guy, but I think he is wrong on this occasion. A sincere apology to AT, a promise to learn from his mistake and a pledge to encourage responsible behaviour amongst his followers would be the right reaction.

Oh and perhaps a hundred pound donation to Merlin's Magic Wand from his YouTube revenue to show that he means it and restore the Goodwill.

Should I be in public relations or what?

I can't stand the attitude of these people. They've been told by the park "you can't do that", and rather than apologise, explain they weren't aware and make a nice post about attractions safety, they've basically regressed back to being 5 years old and arguing with the teacher.

"Well, we always do this"
"Sure, but now I'm telling you you're not allowed to do it"
"Yeah, but these other people do it"
"You can't do it"
"Well this sign vaguely implies I can"
"Nobody cares what the sign says, you're not allowed"

What possesses these people to think they're above the rules of the proles, because they've got a camera and inflated ego? To be honest, it's quite sad the lengths some people will go to for the merest hint of a whiff of a fart of fame.

The sign at the actual ride entrance is a little ambiguous, I can give Shawn that. However, I feel that he may be aware that photography on all rides at Towers is against the rules. Due to this, I feel that when he was picked up on it, he could have just stated that he wasn't aware and that he didn't intend on breaking rules and would not repeat the actions in future. Instead, he chose to just take a picture of the sign. Could have had a bit more humility, but that's up to him I suppose. Not sure what sort of relationship he enjoys with Towers these days.

Not overly impressed with the tone of one of the replies from Towers either but they do have a responsibility to be straight to the point, especially with incidents in recent years.

I would never have known you couldn't take photos or videos on the Rapids. That seems a ridiculous position to me and nothing more than a rule for a rules sake.

Rather than embrace more and more regulation we should consider what risks we're actually controlling. Loose articles on rollercoasters can be dangerous to others if you drop them. I cannot see any scenario where dropping loose articles on the Rapids could hurt anybody

Let's face it though, there's been a great deal of immaturity from both sides, both could've gone about responding in much better ways than they chose to.
I don't think anyone is denying that. All parties involved have responded in a way very reminiscent of playground bickering but that doesn't mean that there isn't an important discussion to be had here regarding the following of rules while on park.

I don't think anyone is denying that. All parties involved have responded in a way very reminiscent of playground bickering but that doesn't mean that there isn't an important discussion to be had here regarding the following of rules while on park.
I'm not disputing that it's not an important discussion, just find the way its been handled from everyone involved as childish.

Rather than embrace more and more regulation we should consider what risks we're actually controlling. Loose articles on rollercoasters can be dangerous to others if you drop them. I cannot see any scenario where dropping loose articles on the Rapids could hurt anybody
I suppose some people may get a phone out to take a picture or video, the raft bashes against the side of the trough (as often happens) and they drop their phone into the water. Still, no one's been hurt, right, and it serves them right for having their phone out, it's the risk they were willing to take. However, some stupid, stupid people, I'm sure, would then try and grab the phone from the water, leaning over the side of the raft and potentially fall in, causing serious harm and/or death.

At least, that's what I would put on a risk assessment!

As there is clearly a link between irresponsible behavior and rides being toned down (eg: Drayton Manor Rapids accident and AT CRR having it's intensity and water features turned off) I would rather theme parks have responsible Patrons, both the public and media darlings.

Behave responsibly, whilst having fun and let the designers set the thrill level rather than the media and H and S jobsworths ( not all H and S is nonesense, but you know what I mean).

Its like bloggers who fly drones all over again!!! Im not happy with either side but Shaun has a responsibility to act within the rules and to set an example. Hes making alot of money from his channel. Pushing the boundaries is not right in my eyes, hes setting a bad example for others. Towers reaponce was ott but personally if your making £1000s from a you tube channel it should be 100% within the rules and ethical. If i had a tv production filming there then id be expected to follow the rules or face fines. Hes no different. I would have expected more from him, and his responce has made me question his channel.

I suppose some people may get a phone out to take a picture or video, the raft bashes against the side of the trough (as often happens) and they drop their phone into the water. Still, no one's been hurt, right, and it serves them right for having their phone out, it's the risk they were willing to take. However, some stupid, stupid people, I'm sure, would then try and grab the phone from the water, leaning over the side of the raft and potentially fall in, causing serious harm and/or death.

A bit like the guy a few years ago that dropped his phone (or wallet) riding Oblivion, then decided to scale the fence (while the ride was operating) to walk into the tunnel and retrieve it!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

And that's why we end up in the ridiculous position of not allowing guests to wait in the monorail station for the train, and why all fences now have to be about 5' high. Where does sensible risk reduction end? If anybody leant out of a rapids boat and was injured, why would anybody consider the park as even remotely culpable?

And that's why we end up in the ridiculous position of not allowing guests to wait in the monorail station for the train, and why all fences now have to be to about 5' heigh. Where does sensible risk reduction end? If anybody leant out of a rapids boat and was injured, why would anybody consider the park as even remotely culpable?
Because of the smiler.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.