• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Horses for (main) courses

Waitrose but if I want mince / burgers I buy stewing steak and mince it up with a hand mincer.
You can make splendid homemade burgers that way and you know what's in there. ;)

There all safe though.

BigT said:
Waitrose but if I want mince / burgers I buy stewing steak and mince it up with a hand mincer.
You can make splendid homemade burgers that way and you know what's in there. ;)

Yeah where do you get the stewing steak from, did you not mention butchers/markets can be dodgy lol?

WHERE DO I NOT BUY HORSE BIG T!!!! ;D

I had been thinking about making my own burgers, may well be a wee bit more tempted now ;D

BigT said:
The thing is if you put a beef, horse and kangaroo burger in front of most people and did a taste test, I think most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I've had a kangaroo burger in the past. It definitely tastes different to beef.

Kangaroo is actually quite nice, believe it or not. Such a shame it's so hard to get hold of.

There's a farm shop in Bakewell that sells all sorts of meat. They even do Zebra burgers! :L

I don't mind seeing horse meat for sale, and in things, but label it so that people know and can choose whether or not they want a burger made up from all sorts of beasts that have been mushed together.

:p

TheMan said:
BigT said:

Yeah where do you get the stewing steak from, did you not mention butchers/markets can be dodgy lol?

WHERE DO I NOT BUY HORSE BIG T!!!! ;D

I had been thinking about making my own burgers, may well be a wee bit more tempted now ;D

I get the steak from Waitrose, that's what I said above. :-\

You should make your own though, just make sure you put it through the mincer two times or it will fall to pieces, add black pepper, amazing.

Can I just point out as well, to be fair I've never seen any horses being slaughtered either so I think you'll be quite safe as long as you don't buy cheap s....

I think this will turn out to be from Europe as its quite common over there.

Now I'll give you a little story,
I once went to one butchers shop who also did farmers markets, he spent 30 minutes telling me about how he produced a fantastic product all local produce and was making a mint, whilst I fixed his machine.
I then walked out of the back of the shop to the van and just happen to look at the meat boxes which only go and say Botswanan Beef, Argentina Lamb etc etc. the lying toad.
Things arn't always what they seem!
Fresh meat from supermarkets is always labeled correctly though as the volumes they trade are huge, just worked at a plant producing over 20,000 chickens per hour!
At that speed you don't get time to fiddle.

BigAl said:
There's a farm shop in Bakewell that sells all sorts of meat. They even do Zebra burgers! :L

Ooo, I'd love to try zebra!

In all honesty, I've eaten loads of animals - kangaroo, bison, crocodile, ostrich, several kinds of antelope, and so on. I don't have an issue with eating horse, so long as I'm aware of it. I woud try a 100% horse meat burger, for example. But if its just shoved into other products it makes it seem cheap and nasty.

AshleeKel said:
BigAl said:

Ooo, I'd love to try zebra!

In all honesty, I've eaten loads of animals - kangaroo, bison, crocodile, ostrich, several kinds of antelope, and so on. I don't have an issue with eating horse, so long as I'm aware of it. I woud try a 100% horse meat burger, for example. But if its just shoved into other products it makes it seem cheap and nasty.

I thought the Kangroo burger I had was very similar to beef just a bit salter, maybe it was a bad one!

BigT said:
I get the steak from Waitrose, that's what I said above. :-\

Ooops! Sorry, so you did I read that wrong!

I have fancied a go for a while making nice burgers, only said it again the other day.

That's crazy what you say about that butchers!! I guess if as a supplier, you are selling anything at that high a volume for supermarkets, you need to be on your game. If you screw over a supermarket, I'd imagine your business could end up in that same mincer.

Great info though BigT, appreciate that, apologies for the mis-read there.

:)

Exactly, you screw Mr Tesco you end up screwed. Suppliers to supermarkets generally only supply one or two so if they walk away you no longer have a business.
Seen it happen as well, many times.

I don't have a problem with the idea of horse meat as it's not endangered and it's certainly not below eating cows or sheep (although obviously as a society we should try to move towards a diet with a higher fruit and veg ratio to meat as the meat industry is unsustainable and the quantity we consume is unhealthy, but that's another discussion). I do have a problem with not being informed of when I'm eating it and what concerns me most is if this got through, what else are suppliers not telling us about their product?

I would love to blame TESCO for this as they are essentially an oligarchical force who bullies their suppliers into submission and will do anything to make a quick buck.... but this was genuinely not their fault. This time they were duped by suppliers who told them a pack of lies and who were given the thumbs up from food regulatory boards.

However I cannot help but question, if TESCO didn't force their suppliers to take on all the costs but only collect a tiny fraction of the profit, would these suppliers have reverted to such an underhanded way to produce burgers cheaply? It's worth considering.

Some Vege burgers have been withdrawn from supermarket shelves after traces of uniQuorn were found in them

:D

Had a quick flick through the thread and didn't see anyone mention this so...

I am so hungry, I could eat a horse.

That is all.

Fredward, are you here all week? ;D

Meat Pie said:
I don't have a problem with the idea of horse meat as it's not endangered and it's certainly not below eating cows or sheep (although obviously as a society we should try to move towards a diet with a higher fruit and veg ratio to meat as the meat industry is unsustainable and the quantity we consume is unhealthy, but that's another discussion). I do have a problem with not being informed of when I'm eating it and what concerns me most is if this got through, what else are suppliers not telling us about their product?

I would love to blame TESCO for this as they are essentially an oligarchical force who bullies their suppliers into submission and will do anything to make a quick buck.... but this was genuinely not their fault. This time they were duped by suppliers who told them a pack of lies and who were given the thumbs up from food regulatory boards.

However I cannot help but question, if TESCO didn't force their suppliers to take on all the costs but only collect a tiny fraction of the profit, would these suppliers have reverted to such an underhanded way to produce burgers cheaply? It's worth considering.

The most well reasoned post of yours I have read to date, and I believe all of those scenarios are most likely true!

delta79 said:
Some Vege burgers have been withdrawn from supermarket shelves after traces of uniQuorn were found in them

:D

Panicked when I read the first bit there, thinking oh no that's terrible!

Then... ;D

That was quality mate ha-ha!

I'd be happy to eat horse, and would actually quite like to try it. The huge culture that's built up around horse ownership/riding since they were replaced by mechanised transport doesn't change the fact that they're perfectly edible. Besides, it's payback time after all those horse riders and horseboxes I've been held up by! :p I do however draw the line at animals kept as domestic pets like cats or dogs.

What I take issue with here is the fact that the burgers were sold as beef burgers. If any proportion of the meat in a burger is from any animal other than cow it shouldn't be called a beef burger. Calling them red meat burgers does perhaps sound less appealing, but if you cook it properly and supply it to me in a bread roll I'm hardly going to complain!

I've not read it myself, but Kelpie is fond of pointing out a line from one of the Discworld books, where a sign on a market stall reads something along the lines of:
"Meat pie ... 1 groat.
Named meat pie ... 3 groats"

You get what you pay for ;)

Cheese said:
Besides, it's payback time after all those horse riders and horseboxes I've been held up by! :p
This! :p

Iceland, Lidl and Aldi and Dunnes are also apparently guilty too, though their products had smaller amounts of horse meat in them.

Also, does this mean that we may from now on begin to see products just labelled as 'burgers', or 'miscellaneous burgers'? There was traces of pig in the burgers from Tesco as well, so perhaps they could sell a product with all kinds of animals in it to mix thing up!? :p

Lucky dip burgers! Who knows what's in them? :D

They could even do competitions!

"Can you guess the 3 different types of meat in this burger?" - "Be in with a chance to win a years supply of lucky dip burgers, kindly provided by Tesco".

I'm sure Tesco knew what was going on. They will stoop to any level to make a profit, hate that company soooooo much!

I'm not overly bothered if its horse in them but the issue is that its hidden from us. If people know what they are eating then its not a problem. Its when your eating something that you think and have purchased as it says "Beef" on it, then turns out to be something else...

The exclusion of course being the Saturday night drunken kebab, in which i couldnt care less what im eating or what meat is in it..... they just taste sooooo goood!

A friend saw the Les Misérables film last night, and made a joke on Facebook linking the burgers with the Thénardiers, particularly one bit from 'Master of the House':

"Food beyond compare,
Food beyond belief.
Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef.
Kidney of a horse..."

Tesco probably got the idea from Les Mis. :p

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

One of my mates ate two of these burgers and has been admitted to hospital...

I asked the nurse how he is and was told me that they had a bit of a mare to get the needles in his arm, but now he is in a stable condition, that I should stop nagging them for updates and that his chances of making a full recovery were currently at 2/1