• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How did TowersStreet begin?

Guys behind TowersNerd work in the industry now, suspect its best to stay out of the fan business if you want to sell to theme parks.

Almanac started to slow down quite a bit before Towers Street started, no idea why.

Back in the day, ATA used to be the best resource online for all things Alton Towers. I always felt that Towers Nerd was behind ATA and TT, although their Live blog updates were very good.

:)

Is the YouTube channel Theme Park Nerd Live run by the the same person as Towers Nerd, out of interest?

This is a far better forum than TT. Although the mods probably hate me for being extremely irritating (to be fair, I'm a complete arsehole) I get challenged rather than censored whereas as other sites seem happy to block free speech at will.

Although to be balanced, even TT threads aren't good reading for Merlin execs at the moment.....

I always felt Towers Nerd was different to TT/ATA and later TS. Less of a forum, more a group that wanted to make their mark. If the people behind the site have found their way into the industry I'm very happy for them because creatively they delivered some great stuff!

I always felt Towers Nerd was different to TT/ATA and later TS. Less of a forum, more a group that wanted to make their mark. If the people behind the site have found their way into the industry I'm very happy for them because creatively they delivered some great stuff!

Pretty sure they build IT solutions for theme parks (Apps etc).

Personally I think TT is a pretty unsavoury environment now, with the endless merchandise, paid events, when the majority of its followers are surely teenagers and young children who are very impressionable. And something of a sycophantic connection with Merlin.

I dunno I just believe in thinking for yourself, a lot of forums have the effect of streamlining anyone with an emerging passion /inspiration for parks into the stereotypical geek. It happened to me at that age too, til I took a step back and remembered what I got in it for - fun!

I was far away when the split happened and this is the first explanation I heard for it, so it's interesting to read that it did pre empt what I feel TT turned into and I commend the team for standing up for themselves. Certainly think Towers Street is a more individual and down to earth site for discussion

I do miss 10ish years ago when the whole online theme park thing seemed far less 'social media' like and less editorialised by everyone, a smaller scene. But then again, it was still responsible for all the Thirteen hyperbole and exaggerations at the time, haha

Last edited:
I do miss 10ish years ago when the whole online theme park thing seemed far less 'social media' like and less editorialised by everyone, a smaller scene. But then again, it was still responsible for all the Thirteen hyperbole and exaggerations at the time, haha

I thought I'd just been imagining the move to social media. Whenever I watch a pov on youtube my suggestions are full of vlogs by, usually some dweeb who's read a Wikipedia article of a ride he's never actually been on and is reading it back out to the camera or whatever. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Personally I think TT is a pretty unsavoury environment now, with the endless merchandise, paid events, when the majority of its followers are surely teenagers and young children who are very impressionable. And something of a sycophantic connection with Merlin.

I dunno I just believe in thinking for yourself, a lot of forums have the effect of streamlining anyone with an emerging passion /inspiration for parks into the stereotypical geek. It happened to me at that age too, til I took a step back and remembered what I got in it for - fun!

I was far away when the split happened and this is the first explanation I heard for it, so it's interesting to read that it did pre empt what I TT turned into and I commend the team for standing up for themselves. Certainly think Towers Street is a more individual and down to earth site for discussion!

We're not really into criticising other online communities; several of the existing team over at TT are friends of some of us and I know they try really hard with their events and have a really good link up with the ATR entertainments team in particular - which is great for them.

I think what TT do these days is very different from what we did back then, and TS is really the natural place where the 'old' TT is now. TT caters for a very different sort of thing than what we do - with their events and so on. There is certainly a market for that, and if TT want to pursue it then that is for them. As a result of what they offer, their member base is quite different - which is great, as it keeps both sites totally viable.

Online forums are a dying breed - but I for one hope we can keep ours going for as long as possible. The quality of chat on social media is dire by comparison.

:)

Just for clarity I wasn't trying to speak for TS, just my own opinion. :)

I just don't think a large organised group of (largely very young) paying, heavily moderated fans is the most positive thing in the long run for their theme park enthusiasm.

I'm wary of other large fan groups and how they've evolved over years from something fun, into a certain organised fan ideology with influence, like Doctor Who's fanbase or something. The connection with ATR I found weird when it resulted in TT members' voices featuring in the public fireworks display last year, hinted of a fan-base getting top heavy.

But I wouldnt want my post to come across like some tit for tat 'TS vs TT' debate, I hope things stay positive.

Last edited:
How else would they pull that off?
Having close connections to Towers' ents team apparently. Not necessarily something sinister but I do think it's questionable when fan groups get top-heavy like that and start to influence the actual product for everyone else. Sometimes can be good, like more openness to fans in general, but other things start to become esoteric fan service.

I am super passionate about theme parks, music, etc, but have always felt it's much better to keep feet on the ground than to get whisked away in organised group fandoms, if it gets to the point where everyone's thinking and doing alike. Anyway, I appreciate that Towers Street is more neutral. :)

It's a shame that now Towers don't tend to give out freebies to other parts of the enthusiast community as much as they used to (Q&A sessions/presentations, lift hill walks, behind the scenes tours etc.), due to these perks now being monetized. When it comes to something like the fireworks it's all a bit strange, fans paying for an event and then going on to have all their praises recorded ready to be listened to thousands of guests. I'm honestly surprised TowersTimes hasn't become an official fan site yet.

TowersTimes seem to be doing well with paid for events so good on them, and it's good in a way they are different to TowersStreet. Different sites for different tastes.