• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How did TowersStreet begin?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I know this topic isn't directly asking how to do something on the forum, but I wasn't sure where to put this, so move it if it's in the wrong place. Anyway, this question is for the members who have been here for a longer length of time; how did TowersStreet actually begin? I think it began on the 11th June 2012, as that is when a large amount of topics were started and a large amount of members joined. But I don't quite know how it began. I did hear somewhere that there is a link between this site and the much older TowersTimes, which is interesting. Was it that one of the TT members wanted to start their own site? Or was it a case of a big fallout between the TowersTimes admins, with the aftermath involving half of the admins splitting off from TowersTimes and forming a new site that some of TowersTimes' members hopped over to? I'm just curious to know.

Hi guys. I know this topic isn't directly asking how to do something on the forum, but I wasn't sure where to put this, so move it if it's in the wrong place. Anyway, this question is for the members who have been here for a longer length of time; how did TowersStreet actually begin? I think it began on the 11th June 2012, as that is when a large amount of topics were started and a large amount of members joined. But I don't quite know how it began. I did hear somewhere that there is a link between this site and the much older TowersTimes, which is interesting. Was it that one of the TT members wanted to start their own site? Or was it a case of a big fallout between the TowersTimes admins, with the aftermath involving half of the admins splitting off from TowersTimes and forming a new site that some of TowersTimes' members hopped over to? I'm just curious to know.
It is explained here: https://towersstreet.com/about/

So, what I can gather from that link is that it's basically the 2nd option I mentioned, but it's written in much nicer wording on the link.

Put it this way: some of us old folk have been a member of an Alton Towers web forum since before you learnt how to control your bodily functions. Possibly even before you existed. ;) (It scares me that that's actually true).

Unfortunately what should have been a time of celebration for our community was very quickly soured a few days later, by events that took most of us completely by surprise. In a nut shell, the owner of the old site fell out with the entire rest of the team in a big way. They all resigned on the spot, saying they were going to make their own forum (with blackjack and hookers). The vast majority of regular members left with them out of solidarity to the their friends, who had put in all the hard work creating the site that brought us all together in the first place.

... I think that sums it up without naming names.

Roughly when was that?

Not that I I'm asking for any specific reason (and definitely not because I noticed any form of change on TT and wanted to know if this happened round about the same time I noticed said change...)

Possibly even before you existed. ;) (It scares me that that's actually true).
Did the TowersTimes Forum begin before the 31st July 2003, then? I'm aware that the site itself began when Air was first being built as sw5live, and they starting doing Towers news in July 2002, but the earliest topics I can find on the forum are from September 2004. Did they clear out a load of old posts or something?
Unfortunately what should have been a time of celebration for our community
What was the community celebrating in 2012, out of interest?
The vast majority of regular members left with them
There are still a lot of active members on the TowersTimes Forum now. They must have all joined post-2012, then.

In 2012, there was a celebration to mark ten years of TTF. A month later, the split happened, and TowersStreet was formed as a result.

Thanks guys. I was merely interested. Also, I found a topic on TowersTimes Forum entitled TowersTimes Forum 11/06/12, which gave me a light idea of how it all happened.

In 2012, there was a celebration to mark ten years of TTF. A month later, the split happened, and TowersStreet was formed as a result.
Was it really a whole month later? I swear it feels like it all kicked off the day after we got home!

I'm not here to cause an argument (I use both sites) but I feel like there's some parts of each site that are better than the other. Here, there's more people but there I feel it's more community based, including with the events. One suggestion I would make about towers street is to make the chat box feel more updated (feels a bit dated) and make it become a more active part of the site.

I'm not here to cause an argument (I use both sites) but I feel like there's some parts of each site that are better than the other. Here, there's more people but there I feel it's more community based, including with the events. One suggestion I would make about towers street is to make the chat box feel more updated (feels a bit dated) and make it become a more active part of the site.
If people aren't using it then there's not a lot we can do. We have tried several forms of a constant chat in the past (the original TS Chat, the new Slack chat and the Shoutbox), none of which are used as regularly as the Shoutbox on TT is. At least, I assume it's still used a lot there as it was when I was a member many moons ago.

At the end of the day, we are two different sites which cater to two different demographics, in my opinion. I'm not going to go into this in public as it would be unprofessional, but if you ever see me on a meet I would be more than happy to explain my opinions, as I have done with people in the past. :)

I remember that night. Some of us were just having a nice chat in the shoutbox when some of the team members redirected us to a site called "Project Aurora" and every team member on the old TTF forum resigned their positions. Almost everyone who was a regular member on there jumped ship which is why so many people joined and so many topics were created on the 11th of June 2012. I had only been on there since October 2011 and attended my first meet (South 2012) just a month earlier :p

So did the team members just come into the Shoutbox and say "Go to our new site at [insert link here]!"?

Put it this way: some of us old folk have been a member of an Alton Towers web forum since before you learnt how to control your bodily functions. Possibly even before you existed. ;) (It scares me that that's actually true).

Fast forward to present day, the forums are thriving and Diogo is losing control of his bodily functions.

Sush you.

I think a lot of the news spread via other platforms such as farcebook and Skype at the time, as there was a bit of a battle between the team and the owner deleting / reposting the truth.

A rift emerged after the owner decided to make TowersTimes the official fansite for Lightwater Valley, and allegations surfaced that 2012’s Euro Coaster Poll was rigged in favour of The Ultimate.

The rest, they say, is history...

Last edited: