• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How do you think Alton Towers could be improved?

Do something, anything, with the indoor section of Air as you first leave the station towards the lift hill.
It just looks like part of a nasty inner city underground car park and annoys me far more than it probably should !
Ideally it would be great to have a smoke machine in there to make it look like you were flying through clouds thus setting the scene for the rest of the ride but that's probably not possible for a number of reasons including its proximity to the loading area.
But even painting the area blue with a few clouds would be an improvement I reckon.
What would that cost, a couple of hundred quid ?

It's not just me then ?
Good. ;)

I see what you mean, six pages worth , I'll work my way through them. :D

Mark-Cal said:
It's not just me then ?
Good. ;)

I see what you mean, six pages worth , I'll work my way through them. :D

Even Wardley has had something to say on that topic of discussion.

GET. A. LIFE. ;)

I'm quite happy with the life I already have thank you Tom but I shall take your advice on board, there's nothing more important to me than the opinion of a 17 year old I've never met on an internet forum. ;)

How do you think Alton Towers could be improved?

Mark-Cal said:
I'm quite happy with the life I already have thank you Tom but I shall take your advice on board, there's nothing more important to me than the opinion of a 17 year old I've never met on an internet forum. ;)
A little unnecessary I think.
Tom was quoting John Wardley. When John was asked about the air tunnel in an interview (including many members of TS) his response was indeed 'GET. A. LIFE. ' - quite funny actually.

Perhaps the only mistake Tom made was assuming that you had seen/heard said interview. (Being on an AT fan forum and all that)

Re: How do you think Alton Towers could be improved?

smudge said:
Mark-Cal said:
A little unnecessary I think.
Tom was quoting John Wardley. When John was asked about the air tunnel in an interview (including many members of TS) his response was indeed 'GET. A. LIFE. ' - quite funny actually.
Technically, he started the Q&A off with that statement about the Air tunnel. ;) [/pedant]

Your point still stands, though. :p

Fair enough, I assumed ( not knowing the back story ) that Tom was suggesting I should get a life for not knowing how regularly the issue of Air's tunnel is brought up here, which I thought a bit cheeky.
As that wasn't the case I apologise Tom . :-[

Poison Tom 96 said:
Buy some cows and let them loose on Towers Street.
that should be Bison ;)

It would be nice to see something done with the air tunnel, however I believe nothing is going to be done about it so, we might as well save forum space for other things.

There is improvements happening, The entertainment team is one. To carry on improving the atmosphere, they are returning the magic to the park. management need to back them a lot more.

the marketing of upselling need to be altered a bit, so it is not so in your face BUY BUY BUY. and more " having a cracking day, why not get a memento"

carry on with atmosphere. there are some ride and areas that could do with some theming changes. e.g. adding trees to Thirteen's queueline, maybe some fake ones that do some funny things.
If there are going to keep the protective cover under Ritas, then they need to give it good theming.

delta79 said:
Poison Tom 96 said:
Buy some cows and let them loose on Towers Street.
It would be nice to see something done with the air tunnel, however I believe nothing is going to be done about it so, we might as well save forum space for other things.
We had LED's - what more do you want ;)

Well
. Build a woodie
. Get rid of the smiler
. Build a b&m coaster
. Re theme (to a Disney standard) everywhere
. Everything about food and bars
. Open the towers fully
. Get rid of a car park charge
. Longer opening times in summer
. Bring Cadburys back to the park
. Cheaper hotel rooms
. Clean everywhere
. Basically everything

josht said:
Well
. Build a woodie
. Get rid of the smiler
. Build a b&m coaster
. Re theme (to a Disney standard) everywhere
. Everything about food and bars
. Open the towers fully
. Get rid of a car park charge
. Longer opening times in summer
. Bring Cadburys back to the park
. Cheaper hotel rooms
. Clean everywhere
. Basically everything

Don't see much of that happening to be honest except the cleaning (many areas were cleaned/painted this closed season).

If you are comparing to Disney and want that level of detail then you also end up with that level of pricing, so expect no more 2for1s and nothing else to get cheaper. Disney charge $15 to park (around £9), their hotel rooms aren't cheap and 1 day 1 park tickets are $99 (around £59) with the only way to make it cheaper is to get multiple days. Also as a general rule you aren't going to get B&M coasters and Disney theming together, Universal IoA is the closest, but they either have well themed attractions (Harry Potter and Forbidden Journey, Spiderman) or big coasters (Dueling Dragons, Incredible Hulk).
Generally just be thankfull that Alton Towers is not a Six Flags park!

You say get rid of the Smiler, but it is very popular and attracts large crowds and no B&M coaster would have been able to deliver the same ride in that space. The best choice for a B&M would be the route that was proposed for the woodie.

The towers are quite accessible when scarefest prep work isn't being done (which seems to take longer every year!) I've walked through most of the building in the past.

Given that Nestle are now supplying hot dogs, chocolate and coffee I don't expect them to go soon, it would take Mondelez (Kraft Foods) offering AT a lot of cash to see a return to Cadbury.

Other than bringing prices down what exactly would you improve about food and bars? I think Woodcutters needs to be slightly better quality for the price (especially given this years increases), Corner Coffee needs a full refurb from top to bottom but I think Pizza/pasta, Fried Chicken and Burger Kitchen are all fine although possibly a little expensive.

I'm really surprised by the number of people who are saying get rid of the Smiler. I thought I was literally the only person in the world who didn't like it, clearly not. :D

In terms of improving the park, when installing new rides, areas, projects and attractions, Smiler (and to an extent Rita) can be used as examples of how NOT to go. Smiler was rushed and although the theme is good and the ride is popular it certainly doesn't feel at all world class if you ask me.

To make a world class new ride, they should go back to John Wardley's old philosophy of wanting the actual ride itself to be simply the mode of transport for guests to be transported into immersive themes. This way you don't get some bodge job rides added and it feels more like a long term, carefully thought out project rather than just a ride which was shoved in and a theme quickly cobbled together.

I would like to see the cross valley woodie plans resurrected and less emphasis put on gimmicks and unique sellign points.

I would also like to see queue time information displayed more around the park. On my last visit, I noticed the LED board at the end of Towers Street has been removed and the one at the entrance to the Towers was switched off. I would like queue time info at the entrance to every ride. i know PortAventura isn't particularly popular on this forum but they have LED boards (previously chalk boards) with queue time information of ALL rides at the entrances to every major ride. That way if you get to a ride and the queue is too long you can look to see which rides have shorter wait times and go there.

The entrance and Towers Street needs a complete overhaul and I also feel that new rides and buildings should be more sensitive to their surroundings. Thirteen is a perfect example of how it should be done. Spinball is a perfect example of how not to do it. It sticks out like a soar thumb. The same can be said for the overly bright Skyride cars.

There's more I can think of but it can't all be done overnight. The overall feeling I have is that Alton Towers should take more pride in what they do and run their theme park for the love of running a theme park and look at everything from the guests' point of view. I know they're a business and that this can't always be the way, but they can surely get closer to it than how they are now.

On the subject of The Smiler I can't see why anybody would honestly, hand-on-heart actually want to get rid of it?!

As for queue time boards - the one at the bottom of Towers Street was replaced with a large LED screen with queue times / park event advertising on it and was much bigger and clearer for people to use. It was only a trial though and went away before Fireworks. Hopefully it wa successful and we will see it implemented parkwide soon!

Just reasonable in park prices! You've a captive audience, they would defiantly sell more products to me personally if prices were lower. Unless I'm desperate the well known supermarket on the way gets my money before I enter the park.

Although I'd like them to stock more LEGO, it's the only place in the world where they sell it at RRP and I can get it cheaper with my MAP - long may that continue!!

Not going to comment on rides and how or what they should be run. A tunnel does need doing, even the slightest thing could make a difference. Dark forest can also be improved with just some TLC.

Some people are spot on with the calm down the pricing of everything at the park, surely people would buy more if the prices were to decrease slightly.

having been recently for 4 days the first thought that comes to mind is redecorating seriously everything is tacky and looking in a state of massive disrepair, nemesis needs rivers of blood please do that again nemesis could do with repainting and good quality paint as well not everything needs to be paid for setting up water guns on the log flume and Congo river is a great idea paying for them just ruins it. remove the flasks and photo takers from the gate its not needed there are shops i want to enjoy the view of the castle and turn on the frog fountains, gardens yes the gardeners where out and about but why the hell was the pagoda fountain looking like a wreck clean them up that few hundred years of English history needs looking after.