• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How do you think Alton Towers could be improved?

The Smiler is a great ride. It isn't Nemesis, but Alton Towers would be stupid to remove it. However, there are some things that definitely need to be improved: The gardens need to have a bit of love, current theming needs to have a touch-up and some rides just need more theming in general (not looking at anyone in particular, RITA) and it would be nice if entrance prices were decreased a bit. I still think though, that people have really high expectations of Alton Towers, and don't consider that they mostly want to cater for the general public, rather than for enthusiasts, which make up a very small proportion of people who actually go to Alton Towers.

chris556 said:
nemesis needs rivers of blood please do that again

Just a point about this, Nemesis's water is usually clear at the beginning of the season. I believe it's something to do with either the local water table, or an excessive amount of water in the reservoir, if the red dye seeps into other water sources nearby (like streams and lakes) then Towers can be fined (and I've heard this can be quite hefty). Either one of those will have been affected by the large amount of rainfall we've been having recently, so it may be longer than usual before the water is red again. :)

that's a bit different then honestly thought that nemesis rivers where entirely man made and separate from the rivers because of the dye

some crazy person you make a good point about the enthusiasts but i am not a enthusiasts i went with my mate who had never been before and while we both had fun we both thought things where looking run down and we where not the only ones as i over heard mutterings about things needing updating in the hotel still had fun tho

Olii said:
chris556 said:
nemesis needs rivers of blood please do that again

Just a point about this, Nemesis's water is usually clear at the beginning of the season. I believe it's something to do with either the local water table, or an excessive amount of water in the reservoir, if the red dye seeps into other water sources nearby (like streams and lakes) then Towers can be fined (and I've heard this can be quite hefty). Either one of those will have been affected by the large amount of rainfall we've been having recently, so it may be longer than usual before the water is red again. :)

This is true. However due to a mistake made either at the end of last season or during the closed season (I'm not sure which) we shall not be seeing the red water returning which is a real shame. I believe someone swtiched the wrong switch and released a load of lovely red water in the outer water sources and Towers have decided the best way to stop this mistake from happening in the future is to not dye the water rather than make sure people know how to operate the pumps etc and impose sanctions for those who make such silly mistakes (and let's be honest it was a silly mistake).

:)

I believe they get fined heavily if they pump out water as it's literally contaminating the countryside.

Sure, they could just hope it doesn't happen again.. but if another silly mistake happens?

It'd be best to stop the pumping out function from ever working again, and then use the dye. But I spose they don't wanna make the risk.

What? Nemesis is 20 and the poor girl will never run red dye again! A sad day indeed - everyone knows of the red flow of water and associates it with Nemesis. Just looks so out of place with normal coloured water and to know that for the time being they have no plans of returning to using it, is sad.

Rob said:
I believe someone switched the wrong switch and released a load of lovely red water in the outer water sources

If the coloured water is a environmental hazard, then where are the safety interlocks that are designed to stop accidental discharging into the natural water courses?

I also wonder why they have not asked the Alton towers engineers to come up with a safety interlock to stop the accidental discharge, they could probably design one in 30 seconds.

They could redirect the outlet pipe to a sealed storage tank, for when water levels get too high. then return the water to the pit during the hot summer months (don't laugh) when the water level drops.

Although, in the back of my mind i have the thought. is merlin being cheap and saving money on dye?

I doubt safety interlocks for a waterfall were high on their priority list in 1993/4 when excavating a large pit. :p

While it would be something quick to design it involves money with no return on investment. In Merlin's eyes that is wasting money.

It is wasting money. Realistically, Who's ride on nemmy is going to be dampened by the lack of red water?
Yes, we notice, but are we going to ride her and think any different?

We wouldn't ride it any differently although it would improve the aesthetics of the ride area. ;) I hate bring our the European card although other parks around Europe would go into such fuss if it mean improving the quality and detail of the theme.

Even so, any new systems aside, they could easily get the red water back by just giving it another go. Make sure the person who make the mistake is told off (or knows clearly how damaging it was) and make sure future staff know inside out what to do... even go to lengths of only having one or two members of staff with permission to put the dye in.

It's not like human error doesn't exist so I don't see why they can't be bothered to give it another go. They know it could happen so it's not like it's an unforeseen risk.

So no more red waterfalls.

What's next...theme music turned off? Station theming demolished?

Not much of a 20th anniversary celebration for Nemesis is it?

I don't think it's so much that people, or at least I'm not, are lamenting the loss of the red dye, but more that the water in there isn't very clean and looks really unpleasant. I know I'd rather see red water that helps with the escapism instead of pond water that I just saw in the Gardens or near the Towers.

I just think that the red blood waterfalls are important to the theme of Nemesis, and they are quite unique. It would be a massive shame if they were never to return.

:)

In life everything appears to be a compromise. Do you take the Disney approach and invest in everything ruthlessly or spend a quarter of the amount, cut corners and offer what some would view as a substandard service if you can still guarantee repeat visits from those who are easier to please? Well from a commercial point of view the latter option please.

It all stems from how much passion the management team has for creating a unique resort that they're proud to call their own. Is it a job or a passion?

I can remember years ago when I was younger when the teaser adverts for air were released and the whole marketing surrounding that. It truly was magical. I don't know if I've grown up and not susceptible to that kind of thing anymore or if alton towers just aren't recreating that sort of magic nowadays.

Also typing a post on an iPhone has defintely given me some sort of repetitive strain injury.

There just is no excuse and worse now all theme parks in the country are owned by merlin no competition this is the result. the best thing to happen would be for universal to,build the park they want to in Kent and virtually bankrupt merlin by taking all the custom we need good competition again in the uk

Competition is desperately required, they do have some from Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Flamingo Land and Drayton Manor - but the balance in the south desperately needs squaring up.

Going back to the red dye debate.

A silly question really, but how do you remove the dye from the water?