• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

HS2

If they actually explained it as reducing pressure on existing infrastructure and improving local services (in a less fanciful way than quadrupling Leeds to Sheffield's 5 train a hour) then the public would be happy with it. Plus if it meant cheaper fares (lol shareholders say no, more increases) then many would be happy.

Theoretically.

People want the improved infrastructure but can't deal with the delays it brings.

Back on topic, does anyone think that Labour will see this through when they get in power?
From what I've seen and heard, I think it is a dead duck.
Word is the Tories are going to “salt the earth”, so to speak, by selling off the land north of Handsacre; effectively rendering 2a and 2b undeliverable by a future Labour government.

Not that I think they have much desire to see it through either - Starmer has been very quiet on the subject.

One thing that I think it going to cause a lot of trouble is the “new” planned Euston’s lack of platforms on the HS2 side. It looks like there’s going to be 6 platforms capable of taking HS2 trains; it will be a lot better than OOC of course but the expected service frequency Is going to be a massive squeeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tom
Starmer hasn't been quiet on the subject, he's openly said that they're powerless to finish HS2 due to Sunaks Scorched Earth policy. There really is nothing Labour can do once the route begins to be sold back. But why so hasty to flog property back before leaving office?

Not that I'm at all cynical or anything, but a CPO was completed on a £1.5m property in Staffordshire just 2 days before Sunaks speech. Of course, some purchase processes are committed to and need to be finalised and HS2 would not have been instructed to do anything other than crack on as usual by the government untill the announcement. But it's also inconceivable that some people didn't know about it's cancellation way in advance. Hell, the whole country knew before the conference began.

Now, with properties being snapped up at a premium price + compensation, a snap fire sale is about to take place in which taxpayers will loose millions. But someone's loss is someone else's gain. I have a funny feeling that this won't be the last we hear on this.