• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland 2019

Doubt I will ever visit this event being from the North. When you factor in the train cost, hotel and cost per attraction......I'd be better off flying out to a proper theme park abroad to experience their xmas offering.

We complain that we live in Rip Off Britain but then thousands flock to these events and pay WAY over the top prices for food, drink and of course the rides. This is why we get ripped off guys. ;)

If I wanted to do say 8/9 rides and grab some food and beers you're looking at £100 just on the day. It's obscene. I can fly to Germany and go to Phansialand for a few days for what it would cost me for my trip to London.

Well there’s 4 of us going and staying for two nights it’s cost £65 each for the hotel. We’ve also got a megabus plus journey (couch & train from Huddersfield) for £18 return each so you can do it cheap. We’re not just there to get loads of rides though I’ll probably only go on a few, it’s more about the festive atmosphere and seeing London at Christmas.

It is ridiculously priced if you’re wanting to do loads of rides there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there’s 4 of us going and staying for two nights it’s cost £65 each for the hotel. We’ve also got a megabus plus journey (couch & train from Huddersfield) for £18 return each so you can do it cheap. We’re not just there to get loads of rides though I’ll probably only go on a few, it’s more about the festive atmosphere and seeing London at Christmas.

It is ridiculously priced if you’re wanting to do loads of rides there though.

A Megabus journey to London sounds dreadful tbh. My worst nightmare but each to their own.

I got 3 days to take off in December so still thinking about a last minute trip over to Europe. Better value and far better rides.

A Megabus journey to London sounds dreadful tbh. My worst nightmare but each to their own.

I got 3 days to take off in December so still thinking about a last minute trip over to Europe. Better value and far better rides.

Just to clarify the megabus journey is only half couch journey, it takes you to East Midlands train station and then train from there. Don’t fancy a couch trip for five hours!

You’re not wrong about the rides but I couldn’t find anything cheap to cologne on a weekend. Maybe I’d left it too late.

As a Londoner, I loath WW. It's way too busy, and the prices are obscene. And they don't even sell beer by the stein any more! I didn't even bother going last year.
It was great for the first few years, when you could get obscure rides that no one in this country knew about and good beer. Now it's just another place to dump bloody spinning mouse coasters. (Seriously, why do they have THREE of the things‽) Yeah, we get Olympia, but once you've done it.....

(Seriously, why do they have THREE of the things‽) Yeah, we get Olympia, but once you've done it.....

- Because of the number of people that attend, one of them would have massive queues
- Once you've done Olympia, you can do it again - or wait until next year and do it again. It's a brilliant coaster for a travelling ride.

I like WW, it's a nice day out with friends. I'm generally a scrooge but a trip to WW, a few whisky hot chocolates, sausage, rides and the Christmas market even gets me in the mood.

We didn't go last year but I had a meeting close by so I went solo afterwards just to ride Olympia and Hangover!

But people can ride a generic spinning mouse at any fun fair in the country. WW should stick to stuff we don't get over here.

To be fair they've got Olympia, XXL and the inverted one which are a bit different to your standard fun fair. I get your point on the other two though.

Most disappointed that Circus Circus isn't coming back this year.

It’s well worth popping in for Olympia and the festive atmosphere if you ask me, especially if you plan on doing other things in London while you’re at it.

I would never plan on doing loads of rides because of how expensive it is.

I usually go a couple of times over the festive period as it only takes 40 minutes or so for me to get there on the train. I'm not usually one for fun fairs but Winter Wonderland is well worth visiting but I would not recommend going on a weekend or in the week or so pre/post Christmas as the crowds really are unbearable.

Olympia is remarkable for a travelling coaster but last year I found the restraints to be really uncomfortable and at ten quid a ride, I'm not sure if I will bother with it this year. The Hangover is great fun and you get a crazy cycle on it if you go during the day on a quiet weekday. Last year, I was held at the top for about ten minutes before dropping. The views are something else! Wild Mouse XXL is probs my favourite ride there and is semi-decent value for money given the fun house themed queue.

The food on offer is pretty good but stopping selling Steins is unforgiveable!

We're both over two hours away, we're certainly not the target audience for the event. It's in a city with a population approaching 9 million people. Judging by the heinous crowds, they're not struggling to find people who want to go.

I've been a few times, but only because I've been in the area for work. In fact, the last two or three times I've been, I don't think I even rode anything. A supplier took us on a do, it was actually pretty good - but I'm glad I wasn't picking up the tab.

Last edited:
So, there is a high chance that I could get the opportunity to head to Winter Wonderland for the first time this year! My parents have offered to take me as a Christmas present, and I couldn't be more thrilled! My main reason for wanting to go to Winter Wonderland is to ride Olympia Looping for the first time, but does anyone have any other recommendations in terms of things to ride and things to do at the event, or just any other recommendations in general?

In terms of when we would think of going, the event apparently runs until 5th January 2020, so my parents were looking at some of the final dates of the event at the start of January.

I've got to admit, I am excited to potentially try Olympia Looping, as I've heard some incredible reviews; some people have even said that they prefer it to any of the permanent coasters in this country! Even if I don't quite rate Olympia that highly, I would still love to ride it for its historical value and to be able to say that I've ridden it!

I went in 2016. I think they had steins then. It's a shame if they don't although they're only good for the novelty. Olympia Looping is cool - I dig the curved lift hill. I'm not sure I'll go this year but we shall see. There aren't many people I know who'll pay a tenner for one ride.

The thing is sure it's a tenner for one ride but it is one of those places where you can just do two or three rides over the course of several hours and have had a great time. That said, the food and drinks aren't cheap either so it's an expensive one either way!

So, there is a high chance that I could get the opportunity to head to Winter Wonderland for the first time this year! My parents have offered to take me as a Christmas present, and I couldn't be more thrilled! My main reason for wanting to go to Winter Wonderland is to ride Olympia Looping for the first time, but does anyone have any other recommendations in terms of things to ride and things to do at the event, or just any other recommendations in general?

In terms of when we would think of going, the event apparently runs until 5th January 2020, so my parents were looking at some of the final dates of the event at the start of January.

I've got to admit, I am excited to potentially try Olympia Looping, as I've heard some incredible reviews; some people have even said that they prefer it to any of the permanent coasters in this country! Even if I don't quite rate Olympia that highly, I would still love to ride it for its historical value and to be able to say that I've ridden it!

I'd say Wild Mouse XXL, and the drop tower Hangover would be the must do rides if you visited.

The thing is sure it's a tenner for one ride but it is one of those places where you can just do two or three rides over the course of several hours and have had a great time. That said, the food and drinks aren't cheap either so it's an expensive one either way!
That's how we tend to do it each year. Couple of flat rides and then park up in the Bavarian Village for a few hours of cheesy cover bands. The beer prices there are about the same as the pubs down here anyway tbf.

That Wild Mouse XXL scared the crap out of me, though I was gonna fall out the side of the corner after the big drop lol, well worth the £6 it was I think.

Really hope Wipeout is there again this year, as I hope to visit and would love to ride it. Looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Had a wander around this evening. Felt pretty similar to last year, hard to believe 12 months have gone by! No rides tonight, just food and booze.

Everything seemed to be running bar the Star Flyer, but it was testing as we left.

Might head back for some rides at some point, but I'm all for soaking up the atmosphere on the whole.

Shame they can't get permission to run past 10.

Edit - they seem to have addressed those real pinch points in the layout. Perhaps not by much, but the flow of people round the site seemed to be much improved.

Last edited: