• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland: General Discussion

I'm looking into a trip to Hyde Park Winter Wonderland this year. I've never been before. I can see on the site you can book tickets for some rides, is this completely necessary? I'm looking at the week of 18th-22nd December, so I'm expecting it to be heaving, but like I say I've never been before so I'm not sure how limited tickets are or how quickly they sell out on the day.

We're planning on doing the ice bar and ice kingdom, browse the markets and have some food and drink, so it won't be a visit with the soul aim of getting some creds. If anyone has any hints, tips or recommendations for a first timer let me know.

No need to book the rides, the bigger coasters rarely get large queues in my experience (they're not cheap!). The Bavarian village is always good fun and worth popping into for a drink! Generally the atmosphere is better at night as it looks amazing with all the lighting. It's one of my favourite events of the year and I love going. Hope you have an awesome time.

Does anyone have any videos of how they actually build Olympia looper? The website says it takes 1 week but do they have to use a crane?

"The setup and dismantling time is about one week with 10 workers. Transportation with company owned trucks or by train with 50 waggons and 20 intermodal containers."

You can see a timelapse below. As already mentioned, Oscar Bruch has their own fleet of cranes/forklifts etc which travel with the ride.

From: https://www.facebook.com/juegosmecanicosofficial/videos/135140131999783/

Apart from the reduced sized Wilde Maus, are there any new coasters this year? The lineup not only seems to have nothing new coaster-wise, it seems to have fewer coasters generally than in previous years.

Apart from the reduced sized Wilde Maus, are there any new coasters this year? The lineup not only seems to have nothing new coaster-wise, it seems to have fewer coasters generally than in previous years.
Nope, nothing really extra. I think fuel and administration costs mean you're unlikely to see anything else large turn up at Winter Wonderland at any point in the near future. Olympia is their big coaster, any other additional headliners to what they have already would likely end up with Olympia not bothering to turn up as people would be spending their money across a greater number of attractions.

As much as I love having big coasters coming to the UK, Winter Wonderland just isn't and will never be the place us enthusiasts would like it to be. The big money is in the food and beverage, the extra activities like the circus and ice sculpture exhibition these days. For coasters, you're much better getting yourself to a Kermis on the continent like Dusseldorf or Tilburg and pay half the price you do in London.

I'll keep believing that if I wish it hard enough Holenblitz will come to me one day rather than me having to go to it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hollenblitz nearly come to HPWW one year?

I want to say it was last year, but I could be wrong...

Reactions: Tom
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hollenblitz nearly come to HPWW one year?

I want to say it was last year, but I could be wrong...
Pretty sure it was last year, the showman pulled it at the last minute due to the costs of transporting it I think. HPWW had to refund people who had bought tickets for it via the website.

I do feel that, with the loss of Wilde Maus XXL, HPWW are missing a rollercoaster which has prestige, but isn't an out-and-out flagship.
You might be right, but I don't think that is what the average punter is going to think, far from it.

99% of people who go to Winter Wonderland are going for the general event and atmosphere. It would still get huge guest numbers even of Olympia Looping was not there.

What WWL is missing is Hoellenblitz and Alpinehbahn.
Alpina Bahn definitely seems like a very good ride. If Olympia Looping, for some reason, did not come to HPWW next year, then Alpina Bahn would fit the 'flagship coaster' status very well. It also seems to be a good fit for the plot of land where Olympia Looping resides at HPWW.

Alpina Bahn definitely seems like a very good ride. If Olympia Looping, for some reason, did not come to HPWW next year, then Alpina Bahn would fit the 'flagship coaster' status very well. It also seems to be a good fit for the plot of land where Olympia Looping resides at HPWW.

I've not ridden Alpina but I've ridden OL lots of times. Swapping 5 inversions for 0 seems like a bad idea... is the airtime hill that good?

Alpina Bahn is pretty good, yet to ride it with the new Gerst trains however. That year hade OL and AB nearly next to each other on the banks of the Rhine. Amazing.