• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyperia or Voltron; which new-for-2024 Mack do you prefer?

Hyperia or Voltron; which new-for-2024 Mack do you prefer?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. 2024 has been an exciting year for new Mack coasters, with two significant Mack thrill coasters opening in Europe this year. These are Hyperia at Thorpe Park, a Mack HyperCoaster, and Voltron at Europa Park, a Mack Stryker Coaster. Both of these rides have been hotly anticipated, and both are getting rave reviews. With this in mind, I thought that now they've been open for a few months and quite a lot of people have managed to get out and ride both, it might be interesting to do a poll of which ride people prefer out of Voltron or Hyperia. So, I'd be interested to know; if you've managed to ride both, do you prefer Hyperia or Voltron?

At face value, Voltron seems to me to be getting more positive reception than Hyperia, but I have heard a fair few people say that they prefer Hyperia to Voltron, so I'm not too sure how the consensus actually stacks up...

I've only done Hyperia, and as much as that's a sublime coaster and possibly looks a bit more my sort of thing than Voltron at first glance, I wouldn't want to conclusively declare my own allegiance towards either without having done both, so I'm voting undecided.

But I'd be keen to know; which new-for-2024 Mack do you prefer? Is Hyperia your winner, or is Voltron more your style?

I have not ridden either, but I need to ask: is voltron anything to do with the show? (space themed animation)

I loved watching that, and for that reason alone I'm just gonna tick voltron

I have not ridden either, but I need to ask: is voltron anything to do with the show? (space themed animation)

I loved watching that, and for that reason alone I'm just gonna tick voltron
No; it's nothing to do with that show, to my knowledge. Voltron is themed to Nikola Tesla and his experiments with electricity.

Not ridden voltron, but I can imagine that it would be better than hyperia based on the whole ride experience.

Although, I can't see any specific element on voltron topping hyperia's first drop, and hyperia's stall looks better than voltron's.

But voltron I assume has the edge by being a super long ride, also with basically no filler track, and a good variety of inversions and ejector airtime, as well as theming

I will say though mack has really been on fire creating more super intense rides, I've heard Voltron is crazy with both positives and ejector, and looks to have great pacing. Same applies to hyperia.

Both are excellent but *completely* different experiences. It's relatively close for me but I do prefer Voltron due to the relentless aggression of it. It's very intense, with powerful airtime throughout.

But when you take the whole experience into account it absolutely obliterates Hyperia. Possibly the best ride in the world from queue entrance to ride exit.

The throughput on Hyperia is terrible and the main queue is pretty miserable when the RAP and FT queues are busy.

Haven't done an updated list but Voltron is probably in the latter end of the top 10, Hyperia 15-20 somewhere.

It isn't even close, but like many coasters to open in the UK - the initial hype will die down. I remember when Swarm opened in 2012 and there was widespread 'best coaster in the UK' nonsense spouted by enthusiasts. I kind of get it - you get excited, watch the construction. But it dies off. That isn't to say that Hyperia isn't the best, or one of the best coasters in the UK and/or Europe. It certainly is in the top few nationally and probably top 10 on the continent.

Hyperia is very comfortable but loses out massively with its terribly short duration, inadequate throughput even when well operated and lousy theming. The first drop and stall are great, as is the silky outerbank/inversion. But then those trims kill the final portion of the ride.

However, if you don't like intense, out-of-control type coaster experiences - then Hyperia is for you. Voltron is far more aggressive.

Voltron also has theming and amazing operations. Voltron achieves 1,600/hour - around 1,400 of which is main queue. Hyperia achieves around 800/hour of which 500/hour is main queue.

Voltron is a top 10 coaster for me. Hyperia, whilst good for the UK, is more top 50-100.

It isn't even close, but like many coasters to open in the UK - the initial hype will die down. I remember when Swarm opened in 2012 and there was widespread 'best coaster in the UK' nonsense spouted by enthusiasts. I kind of get it - you get excited, watch the construction. But it dies off. That isn't to say that Hyperia isn't the best, or one of the best coasters in the UK and/or Europe. It certainly is in the top few nationally and probably top 10 on the continent.
Quite the opposite for me. Was a touch underwhelmed early on but I think it's fantastic now. Running really well now it's bedded in properly.

Still though, the length and that stupid trim brake stop it from being a truly elite coaster.

I understand the points people have made but why is capacity a ‘factor’ in deciding if a ride is good or not!

That’s like saying oblivion is better than nemesis because the theoretical capacity is higher

But I do agree voltron seems to clear hyperia in basically every category related to the actual ride and theming, but as I said before, I can’t see a single moment on voltron beating hyperia’s drop and outer bank

For me, both are intense airtime packed and aggressive rollercoasters that offer very different experiences.

Voltron does pip Hyperia slightly as it is a full package with it's theming and it's length.

Hyperia is a great coaster and there wasn't much that put Voltron and Hyperia apart with how highly I rate it despite the different experiences. The only other ride that beats both for me right now is Taron but that will change as I ride more European coasters like Zadra, Kondaa, RTH etc.

There is a lot of hype and bias for Hyperia because it is in the UK.

A lot of people may not have had the chance to go over to Europa yet and there are some UK enthusiasts who haven't ridden a coaster outside of the UK or Merlin parks which could inflate the Hyperia hype to some degree.

I think opinions would sway more towards Voltron as more people ride both rides across the world regardless of where they are based.

I understand the points people have made but why is capacity a ‘factor’ in deciding if a ride is good or not!
It's a huge factor for me. Standing in slow moving queues is infuriating and I'm usually pissed off by the time I get on the ride, and therefore unlikely to ride again for a while.

If Voltron has an hour long queue, you will be moving non stop because of how good the capacity is. There is no paid for queue jump service to slow you down further, and you're in an area with world class themeing to look at.

That’s like saying oblivion is better than nemesis because the theoretical capacity is higher

But I do agree voltron seems to clear hyperia in basically every category related to the actual ride and theming, but as I said before, I can’t see a single moment on voltron beating hyperia’s drop and outer bank

It does, however, factor in into how much of a good investment it is for a park

If you had a coaster that was less than 1000pph, but it was at a small regional park, that's a big difference between having the same coaster at a major park near a big city. You need to big throughputs in those cases to eat crowds and Hyperia fails to achieve that

While I don't disagree with the second argument, the difference is is that Nemesis' throughput just needs to be good on its own merit. Oblivion having higher throughputs is irrelevant in this case

I'd rather queue 2 hours for a ride that's constantly moving than queue for 30 mins where you're stuck in one place for most of it

I know this isn't the approach usually taken by purists, but I'll always factor in all aspects of the experience when deciding which of two rides is better. The experience of the ride itself obviously, but also the theming, the music, the station atmosphere, the dispatch sequence, how long I've queued, how fast the queue moved, even how the staff behaved towards you in batching.

And sure there are other factors that will influence my enjoyment that I can't really attribute to the ride itself but still have an effect. How far did I travel to get there? How much did I pay for entry? How well have I eaten that day? Who did I visit with? What's the general atmosphere of the park like? How invested am I in this particular park? How often am I going to be able to visit again?

It's all really subjective, and easy to see how a UK enthusiast might favour what's on paper an inferior coaster because it, for example, completes a line-up in an already well loved park and is something they can enjoy time and time again with their friends.

I'd rather queue 2 hours for a ride that's constantly moving than queue for 30 mins where you're stuck in one place for most of it
really?

Although I do know what you mean, standing for 10+ min under the netting before the merge point isn't fun at all on hyperia, and feels claustrophobic - but I feel it moves every so often quite a lot.

I dunno, I think a constantly moving queue is great, but I still feel the sense of 'progression' when a queue has been at a standstill for a while then suddenly surges of people start moving, like when the ride hosts let people into the SAW building every 5-10 minutes or so.

Having just ridden Hyperia again, only ridden it once before in a torrential rain storm, can safely say Voltron (even with the square wheels train) blows it out of the water.

It’s just….Ok…and then it’s all over way too quickly. Hopefully they will build the other 1/2 over closed season. 😂

Voltron on the other hand is pretty much insane from start to finish (minus the turntable) and you don’t come off feeling like you’ve just done 1/2 a ride.

Still rate it above Icon (though that’s not difficult), and better than some of the other coasters at Thorpe, Stealth aside but for me personally, probably wouldn’t even be in my top 50. Just way too short.

With Thorpe open until 9 tonight and not very busy I will get a few more goes, so maybe my views will change somewhat??