• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Idea: should Oblivion be converted to a floorless B&M Dive Machine?

Do you think Oblivion should be converted to a floorless B&M Dive Machine?

• Total voters
How about Oblivion: Face Off?

Whereby, the front row is reversed is and the rear row remains the same. Riders in each row then face each other throughout the ride. I know this sounds pretty odd, but it works extremely well on Invertigos.
talking about reversing things, how about Nemesis: backwards or Nemesis: Tables Turned, with the trains reversed so they run backwards (like Batman the Ride: Backwards)?

talking about reversing things, how about Nemesis: backwards or Nemesis: Tables Turned, with the trains reversed so they run backwards (like Batman the Ride: Backwards)?
I had huge reservations about Batman The Ride backwards, those things are so intense as it is, I figured it would be too much backwards, but it was actually pretty enjoyable! It really seemed to spark some new life into those rides which in some cases have seen 10 or more new coasters that equal/exceed them in scale built in their resident parks.

Also, from an investment point of view, Six Flags has just moved the new chassis around the chain - so overall I think it was a pretty smart thing to do.

That said, I'd like them to keep Nemesis running forwards, and I think they will, anyway.

If they ever go down the route of backwards trains, it should be on Oblivion, it's the only coaster at Towers I think it could work well on.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Maybe if they build a big fence inbetween the riders that will stop guests spitting/drooling on eachother.
They could call it Oblivion 'fence off' whereby you attempt to spit onto the backwards facing riders at the top of the drop despite the impenetrable wooden fence separating you. They could even put a viewing window in the fence panel so you could monitor if your gobbing attempts have been successful or not?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Converting Blivvy would be a huge cost for little or no gain.

Oblivion does exactly what it says on the tin. She's great as she is... I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Same applies to Air, but too late...

Converting Blivvy would be a huge cost for little or no gain.

Oblivion does exactly what it says on the tin. She's great as she is... I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

There would be some expenditure, but I don't think it would be horrendously expensive, thereby providing a novel new experience. There could be the opportunity to reuse the bulk of the existing rolling stock. Six Flags have seen great success with Batman backwards, featuring it at every park and now providing it for a full season at La Ronde on Vampire.

'She' may be great as 'she' is, but the mood towards the ride feels somewhat apathetic. It may not be broke, but I don't think it has the same endearing appeal as Nemesis. Refreshing rides has always been part of the Towers approach.

talking about reversing things, how about Nemesis: backwards

How dare you!?

Having never been on a floorless coaster I don't exactly know what a conversion would do to Oblivion in terms of ride experience. However, I do know that despite the duration it is a great ride that frankly doesn't need messing with. Perhaps a spruce up around the queue/station, but otherwise it should be left alone.

:( Much sadness.

If any trend following, straw poll researching, publicity chasing, headline grabbing, glory seaking, committee pacifying, teenage design graduate changes just one bolt on John Wardley''s seminal masterpiece, they will have me (and half of this forum) to deal with... and it won't be pretty.

Leave this masterpiece alone. They wouldn't change the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I feel the same way about Nemmie.

Last edited:
I think you can rest assured Nemesis won't change. It may not generate the queues it used to (mainly because people have had 22 years of riding it) but in general public terms, it's still highly regarded. I would imagine that these tablets around the resort are gathering the feedback on the rides that will shape their future decisions and Nemesis will still gain positive feedback.

As for Oblivion, I don't think it will fare so well (even if I love it). What will they do about it? I highly suspect it will be backwards or VR as they're both cheap and quick ways to fairly significantly change the ride experience.

I highly suspect it will be backwards or VR as they're both cheap and quick ways to fairly significantly change the ride experience.

I doubt either of them will happen, as they would totally remove the main aspect of the ride which is looking down into the hole as you drop into it. Oblivion is still very popular with the GP, still gets queues even though it's got the highest throughput of all the roller coasters on park.

I doubt either of them will happen, as they would totally remove the main aspect of the ride which is looking down into the hole as you drop into it. Oblivion is still very popular with the GP, still gets queues even though it's got the highest throughput of all the roller coasters on park.
But it's the rides perception that's the problem, not the fact that there's anything wrong with the ride experience or not. In other words, it needs a gimmick. As long as it could still be ridden as is, I think other ideas will be explored. I would also argue that some of Oblivions footfall is generated by The Smiler.

I'd say the gimmick is already there, how many other rides have you going face down into a hole on the ground?

You'd say that, I'd say that as well. I love it. But there's something that bothers me about the question "how do you rate your ride experience on Oblivion" on the tablets and what I hear visitors say around park that leads me to believe they want to shake it up somehow.

I'd say the gimmick is already there, how many other rides have you going face down into a hole on the ground?
Do you not think an 18 year old gimmick is now pretty run of the mill? For sure, there are people still experiencing it for the first time, but it's hardly the same as walking into X Sector on a damp March morning in 1998 and wondering what they have built

Doing anything to enhance oblivion would be stupid imo
Oblivion is exactly what is says on the tin trying to do something with it wouldn't work imo
As has been said its still a popular ride and still exhilarating no matter how many times you go on it, but of course it's not the same as 1998 but neither is nemesis but not would any ride after so long

Doing anything to enhance oblivion would be stupid imo
Oblivion is exactly what is says on the tin trying to do something with it wouldn't work imo
As has been said its still a popular ride and still exhilarating no matter how many times you go on it, but of course it's not the same as 1998 but neither is nemesis but not would any ride after so long
I don't disagree with the bulk what you're saying, but Alton isn't a museum, no park is. Things need refreshing from time to time. With the age, the maintenance budget keeps growing - you have to make it worth your while.

I'm not sure it is that popular anymore, either.