• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Never been in sanctuary. Knew it was pr for smiler, but they probably could claim now that they have progressed it to its own story. But it's been there since 2012, it was probably going anyway.

Never been in sanctuary. Knew it was pr for smiler, but they probably could claim now that they have progressed it to its own story. But it's been there since 2012, it was probably going anyway.
Don't think that they can do much re-theming wise with it, plus people like it how it was so it'd be best to just get rid of it altogether and put a new maze in.

I think everyone would like to see a new paid maze anyway, something fresh :)

I thought about this before the crash, the time between two stop points (lift, brakes etc) should be programmed into the computer system and if the train doesn't get to the 2nd stop point in that time (allowing a few extra seconds) a warning alarm should sound in the cabin to alert the op, if this was the case an alarm would of sounded in the cabin saying that the empty train was taking a long time to get to lift 2.

The block system does that job, if the train doesn't reach the next block it shuts down. But you then have to trust the humans to deal with the issue appropriately

dscf0325_0.jpg

Here's what Rita looks like when you're switching between modes, resetting blocks etc.

No chance of it opening any time soon even if they could. For starters they only have three trains, so if one train couldn't be used for whatever reason they'd might as well shut it as running on two would be a nightmare.
Subject to any damage, they could canabalise the two damaged trains.

Last edited:
Not whilst the HSE hang on to them though, which I'd imagine could be for the eternity of the investigation and maybe even the prosecution.

:)

Given the impact the trains had, it may well be that it will be more cost-effective to purchase two replacements, rather than have the structure X-rayed and tested for any slight faults. In which case they could have a full set of trains before the HSE had finished examining the ones involved.

Do we know exactly what the HSE prohibition notice actually stated?

Not yet, the HSE wait 9 weeks before notices are placed on their public register. The most recent notices on the register are dated 01/05/2015.

Not yet, the HSE wait 9 weeks before notices are placed on their public register. The most recent notices on the register are dated 01/05/2015.

Just reading what someone had said about maybe they've already met the terms of it and so could reopen. Whilst I doubt this is a possibility, it will be interesting! Strange amount of time that though, 9 weeks?

Has anyone ever seen that thing move more people with five trains, that it would do with four? It feels like it would do, potentially if the rear half of the station was an unload area - but with the current set up, it's always stacked and made the fifth train pretty pointless, as far as I've seen.

Just reading what someone had said about maybe they've already met the terms of it and so could reopen. Whilst I doubt this is a possibility, it will be interesting! Strange amount of time that though, 9 weeks?

It's too account for appeals and quality assurance.

Has anyone ever seen that thing move more people with five trains, that it would do with four? It feels like it would do, potentially if the rear half of the station was an unload area - but with the current set up, it's always stacked and made the fifth train pretty pointless, as far as I've seen.
they would be on 3 trains.
and yes, it does have an affect, the throughput would be appalling, as with 5 trains, one is loading, one is waiting to load, one is on lift hill one (or in that block), one is in lift hill 2, and the other is approaching the lift hill.

If they did reopen with three trains, I could see them not dispatching train 2 until train 1 is on the final brake run, just to be on the safe side. So they may as well run with two trains.

If they did reopen with three trains, I could see them not dispatching train 2 until train 1 is on the final brake run, just to be on the safe side. So they may as well run with two trains.

And if they did that they may as well not open it as the throughput would be so poor and the queue so long!

Four trains rather than five would not make a massive difference though.

they would be on 3 trains.
and yes, it does have an affect, the throughput would be appalling, as with 5 trains, one is loading, one is waiting to load, one is on lift hill one (or in that block), one is in lift hill 2, and the other is approaching the lift hill.
I appreciate that is the theory - but I don't think it tends to operate like that.

Trains often get back to the brakes while the train in front is in the unload area - meaning the fifth train isn't adding capacity.

Ok, I still stand by what I said, but the importance of the fifth car isn't really relevant. They would be down to 3 cars.

There isn't an unload area (even though there is space for one), that's the trouble!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.