• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I will have to finish building it first. But I'm pretty sure it will be complete before The Smiler reopens.
My goal is to have it ready for halloween.

next year. ;)

I will have to finish building it first. But I'm pretty sure it will be complete before The Smiler reopens.
My goal is to have it ready for halloween.

next year. ;)
Ahh ya bringing me down man, bringing me down :rolleyes:

All im saying is hurry up and finish the build. You have 3 weeks. Nom nom nom

Posted on our Facebook page:

11921661_922346044502507_7259659731859846163_n.jpg

11947571_922346051169173_932389896608916378_n.jpg

11933379_922346084502503_1094977939268735380_n.jpg

So there's a new control panel going in around the Staffordshire Knot. I find it very interesting that all of this work, which it would make far more sense to do in the closed season when the park is closed, is taking place now.

:)

Maybe they are getting the work done and out of the way now so that they can demonstrated to H&S that changes have been made and the ride is fit to be run. I suppose if they don't do it now you're looking at the new season and that may delay opening further.

I had a sneaky, totally non evidence based suspicion that they would open it un-announced on the last day or 2 of the season to limit the length of the negative PR train that will accompany it re-opening. Get it out of the way for 2 days then close the park - means no further stories can crop up for another 4-5 months or so.

Be very surprised if it opened for longer though.

If it re opens with reduced capacity near the end of the season, they could do the timed ticketing like they did on vampire at the start of the season, they did sign a deal with acesso who do that sort of stuff ;)

I am happy that they are doing things to get this open again. It would be a shame to scrap the ride, it isn't perfect and the theming is well to me the worst at the park. But it looks good for the future.

My concern is not Alton Towers but the press. The press will be all over the ride re-opening. The melee of reporters, photographers will double the attendance of the day for sure. T.V will have there best reporter with the bad haircut interviewing anybody that as A in the queue, or B the person who has just got out of the shop. Im guessing that on the day of re-opening and in the days and weeks after, many a carpet at merlin will be worn out by all the pacing of senior execs waiting and praying that the phone doesn't ring baring bad news. The question I would like to ask is how will merlin announce the ride re-open.

Obviously the park cannot go all guns blazing advertising the ride. In todays market they would get massacred by the press, also after the incident using the ride in any advertising feature would be out of the question as well. People would see it, be reminded and not go. The only thing I think Alton can do this is by one day open the gates. Let the people on the park that day slowly make they way round to oblivion, see that said ride is open, choose what they are doing and let those people using twitter and Facebook to filter the news out slowly. Press realise to the press the day before or on the day to try and give consumers the customers and explain any new safety features.

They will either
  1. A small scrolling banner on the website the night before
  2. A Facebook post 5 minutes before it opens
  3. They won't announce it.

I would open it with as little fanfare as possible. Why give the media time to prep anything. Open it up, see how long it takes them to react.
The park still need to be sensible. Record Nick Varney being the first on the ride. Coincide it with a press release from the park about how they are supporting the victims from the crash. Media is all a game.

People will ask them when it's going to re open on Facebook comments, they will one day reply possibly saying, the smiler re open tomorrow, next week, soon or just keep repeating the foreseeable future

What I would do is don't say anything about it opening until last minute, then show it on the website on the scrolling banner that hardly anyone notices, and then wait for social media to send the message that it's open

There will be no announcement it will just open. The press will be all over it and merlin will give a little reactive statement and that will be it. The press will drag it all up for a week or so but next season all the hype will have died down.

Or......they could surprise everyone and provide a press release that it is opening imminently, once again apologize for the incident, but then explain the extra layer of safety that they have added. It might actually be worth courting the media to get the camera's in and get some free publicity whilst showing that it is now safer than ever, that they also have (insert special event) coming up and that they also have 50 other fantabulous attractions at the theme park (ok, resort). Plus, they have some really safe fencing.

Or......they could surprise everyone and provide a press release that it is opening imminently, once again apologize for the incident, but then explain the extra layer of safety that they have added. It might actually be worth courting the media to get the camera's in and get some free publicity whilst showing that it is now safer than ever, that they also have (insert special event) coming up and that they also have 50 other fantabulous attractions at the theme park (ok, resort). Plus, they have some really safe fencing.

Fencing

I think that this would do them a lot of good as if they don't say anything the media will have a field day with nothing has changed and they are trying to trick everyone into not realising it has opened again

I'd like to see them actually take pride back into the park and show confidence by holding a press release.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.