• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Because explaining that they were adding an extra layer of safety worked last time ;)

It might work better this time without Kay Burley screaming at them. Also, they will actually know what the extra layer of safety is at this time and be able to explain it (for anyone who will take any notice).

It might work better this time without Kay Burley screaming at them. Also, they will actually know what the extra layer of safety is at this time and be able to explain it (for anyone who will take any notice).
I would invite her to be on the first car with nick varney! Be a very good idea to have a media day and a nice opening but we can only hope

I don't think they'll give the media a heads up at all. If it opens this season it would probably be in the middle of a quiet weekday. The Smiler had it's fair share of downtime before the incident so it would be right to assume there is a very good chance of it going down at some point on whatever day it re-opens. The media are going to love that even though it would be a routine event:

"Yet more problems with crash rollercoaster The Smiler on day this terrifying ride re-opens to the public".

Towers could do without that.

:)

I think if it opens this season, they won't announce it at all, it will just open. If it opens next season, maybe they may release some information about what they've done and how it is safer etc. As I've said before (I think!), there's no way AT can win really.

Maybe the work has start now because there isn't enough time over closed season to get it all done.

Didn't they start building The Smiler around November? :tearsofjoy:

Maybe the work has start now because there isn't enough time over closed season to get it all done.

They can build entire rides over a closed season so I would be surprised if this was the case. It could just be them getting the work done early, or it could indicate they are looking to open it sooner rather than later.

:)

I think merlin owe it to the victims to make a very carefully worded press release, acknowledging the incident again and apologising for it again before re opening it. They need to explain to the public that they have reviewed findings by the HSE yadda yadda....

I think just opening it would build more negativity towards the ride and the park from the press and the public. They should be open and say "yes it did happen, yes we have taken advice, yes it's safe"

I am very confident that this is how it will go

I'd be very surprised if they were to just open it without any acknowledgment of the incident.

The public will expect to know why it happened in the first place, and what has been done to rectify it and ensure it never happens again.

Some sort of resolution will be expected, which I think is fair enough if you're inviting people to get on a giant machine that seriously injured people.

Exciting to see more changes happening. Seems to point more towards it reopening this season, if it was planned to open next year they would leave all this till closed season when no ones around.

I can see there being a press release when it reopens. Although I can still see it opening 'quietly' with no big announcement, countdown, social media posts or anything like that. It'll just open one morning and a carefully worded press release will shortly follow.

The new boxes installed. Especially one nere the entrance will meen when it stalls again the ride op on gate duty can see and stop the ride/
MZIXYBE.jpg

Or is that the phone point thats always been there
I know nothingo_O

The new boxes installed. Especially one nere the entrance will meen when it stalls again the ride op on gate duty can see and stop the ride/
MZIXYBE.jpg

Or is that the phone point thats always been there
I know nothingo_O
I'm pretty sure that's always been there and where they keep the priority passes etc. Not entirely sure though.

I'm pretty sure that's always been there and where they keep the priority passes etc. Not entirely sure though.
Its got a cable from the bottom going to the box on the wall
But yea its prob always been there who takes notice of boxes on fences anyway :)

I thought the phone was in the archway. And that box and the one on the side of the arch are new

Date of photo for clarification? I notice they have the testing dummies on the ride-car.

...Just for clarification, when I said "always been there", I mean for the majority of the time the ride has been open up until now.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.