• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Be even better if it opened soon to rub the mirrors face in it but they would likely report it from a being disrespectful to the victims angle

Sounds like the fire fighters and paramedics were really caring. They really deserve that award.

One thing that gets me, however, is this sentence from that article:
"Fire fighters who placed their lives at risk". No disrespect whatsoever, and their probably was a risk with the rescue, but I don't see it. Not saying that it wasn't an amazing rescue, and that they did it really well and that the injuries would have been much worse (possible fatalities) if they did it wrong, but I don't see how it endangered their lives. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I don't see how any of the emergency services would have been risking their lives. It would have course been a very technically challenging operation and probably a pretty bizarre one for everyone involved. So they deserve being applauded for working around that to save the lives of those on the train. Lives at risk though? No, there is no way on earth they would be allowed to be put in such a position.

On a side note I find it hilarious there's now a string of news sites reporting The Smiler as closed. Not a single one direct quotes any AT's bosses or representatives (despite article titles stating so). They've clearly just been reading our topic and checked social media and decided hey lets make some clickbait out of that.

I think they are possibly referring to them having to buid the platform over a considerable drop.

I don't think falling would have killed any of them though unless they landed headfirst

I'm so sorry. You are all wrong and very ignorant .

It has been said on Twitter that the ride testing does NOT mean that the smiler will open.

It has been said on Twitter, and therefore must be true.

Actually, everything on here is speculation.

What the newspapers are doing is reporting on the 'foreseeable' word, which we've interpreted to death on here, but in reality does mean what you can see ahead and including periods you have planned, which include the end of season events by literal definition.

Actually, everything on here is speculation.

What the newspapers are doing is reporting on the 'foreseeable' word, which we've interpreted to death on here, but in reality does mean what you can see ahead and including periods you have planned, which include the end of season events by literal definition.

I would imagine if on June 1st you asked Alton Towers how long The Smiler would be open for i'm sure they would have said "for the foreseeable future"

I would imagine if on June 1st you asked Alton Towers how long The Smiler would be open for i'm sure they would have said "for the foreseeable future"

I'm sure they would, because they could not envision it closing. If they're using language correctly and no misleadingly, they currently have no idea when/if it will reopen - there can be no debate.

What some people are insistent on claiming is that they are using language inaccurately and/or misleadingly - which is perfectly possible.

However on this occasion, you cannot really criticise the press reports given the language that has been used.

I'm sure they would, because they could not envision it closing. If they're using language correctly and no misleadingly, they currently have no idea when/if it will reopen - there can be no debate.

What some people are insistent on claiming is that they are using language inaccurately and/or misleadingly - which is perfectly possible.

However on this occasion, you cannot really criticise the press reports given the language that has been used.
It could also mean that they have a date in mind that they are aiming for but don't want to say incase there are any more setbacks between now and then.
Remember when they said The Smiler would be open on March 16th 2013, then May 23rd 2013.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.