• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In the event where there is a stall, it shouldn't be reversed down. After reading the gerst website, it says that the reverse is for when the ride loses power, not a stall. If the ride has lost power, then it wouldn't be possible to accidentally send it.

In the event where there is a stall, it shouldn't be reversed down. After reading the gerst website, it says that the reverse is for when the ride loses power, not a stall. If the ride has lost power, then it wouldn't be possible to accidentally send it.
So did AT ever plan or try to reverse the ride against manufactures advice and if it caused the accident (unlikely) I'd imagine there would be quite a serious punishment.

My theories:
  • The ops didn't really know what to do and tried to reverse it, but sent it round by accident
  • They didn't see the stalled car and sent it
  • For technical reasons, when the engineers reset it, a train was sent
  • It is their policy to reverse the train down the lift hill, but accidentally sent it

So did AT ever plan or try to reverse the ride against manufactures advice and if it caused the accident (unlikely) I'd imagine there would be quite a serious punishment.
Like I said, that's what it said on gersts website, it's not like I'm a ride ops or anything, I don't know the procedures

From reading it I think that they just used power loss as example. They are hardly going to talk about the ride stalling on their own website because it really shouldn't stall if built correctly.

Don't know if it is procedure or not but it would make sense for it to be to (in theory) avoid danger and a commotion of harnesses and climbing down the stairs.

My theories:
  • The ops didn't really know what to do and tried to reverse it, but sent it round by accident
  • They didn't see the stalled car and sent it
  • For technical reasons, when the engineers reset it, a train was sent
  • It is their policy to reverse the train down the lift hill, but accidentally sent it

Like I said, that's what it said on gersts website, it's not like I'm a ride ops or anything, I don't know the procedures

I think it is more likely that they didn't see the stalled car on the batwing. The ride had already been experiencing problems so they probably assumed it had e-stopped because of something to do with the previous problems. The engineers were most likely already on site due to the previous problems with the ride would have checked it over, seen that it was the block sensor that had stopped the ride and for some reason had over ridden it. My guess would be that they were told that a train was stuck on the track, although may have looked up at the lift-hill and assumed they meant that one. A new train had been put onto the track to try and get the queues down after the problems. The engineer may not have been told about this, looked at the train that were in the station, seen the same number of trains that were previously in operation and just assumed that everything was in order and a faulty sensor had caused the e-stop.

Maybe I read it wrong, I thought you were pulling his leg about rotating the video
No, as diogo has pointed out, landscape is the correct way to film, as the "vertical video syndrome" explains.
spinba11 apologised for filming in landscape, but was confusing landscape with portrait.
No-one should ever apologise for filming in landscape, but they should apologise for filming vertically, which i'm guessing is what spinba11 meant.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.