• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I know i walk round oblivious to changes. And its prob already been noted along with airs paint fence colour
Was it just a tin of grey paint. Ahh that'll do.
Smiler paint touch up
B0126F04-8D6C-4670-8F18-99B7D41F68BF_zpsvlcbfcli.jpg

Where has that date come from?

I don't have real idea, I just remember that there were rumours of the 25th. I've thought it won't open till next season but given that they are now testing with dummies, I can see it opening on a weekday either next week or the one after. Not sure why they'd be doing all this testing now otherwise. Opening it this season is the right thing to do.

@bluesonichd fair enough I can't disagree with the inevitable negative press coverage, but surely the visiting numbers won't be effected by it.
AT are slowly winning the GP's trust back & the accident is no longer fresh in people's minds, so yeah The Smiler would be open but nobody is forced to go on it. & People only go on it because they want too. So I don't think the visiting numbers will be effected if it does open.

There have been reports of a 25 September target for opening, and also reports of that target now being pushed into next year.

Yep. Ive seen the park getting busier and busier week on week.
Opening the ride and all the press coverage it will evoke will IMO only have a detrimental effect on numbers.
That being said opening next season will have the same effect.
Surely it would be better to get it out the way this season than let it affect next season?
i personally would open it towards the end of the season as opposed to the start of next for that reason

BBC Midlands have a history of balanced news stories. And i can see them having a line of "after safety upgrades and strignant testing the smiler has/is reopening to the public"
BBC Midlands does not have an anti towers agenda, so will be looking at clean reporting. It is the other news outlets i am worried about.
I can see one paper having an article on could the smiler cost legs again!

I'd gues the shop still has all the Merch just blocked off from view, and not much signage has been taken down, just covered up as far as I'm aware so it wouldn't take long at all.

I just can't see a shop full of Smiler merchandise existing (as in being open) at this moment in time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.