• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm half expecting to be able to buy it as merch soon.:banghead:
figtn,220x294,black,womens,ffffff.u3.jpg

:p

Never posted here, I was there today and was hoping to see it testing, as far as I'm aware it didn't, although there was something happening with workmen and loud noises, (couldn't tell what) - and the station lights were on, probably nothing important though, all three trains were sat with dummies though.

maybe they were fixing the gaps that leak light into the dark area of the ride. #NewAirTunnelThread :D

Last edited:
I think the sounds were coming from the Smiler shed with the distorted face on, not entirely sure though

Maybe they're installing the new neon "DANGER OF DEATH" light/sign that will remind you of how utterly dangerous Alton Towers is. :)

How long did testing the Smiler take before it opened originally? I swear it took a couple of weeks, including a few wheel compound changes, before it was ready for opening.

I think we will see it open this season. We still have 6 weeks of the season left and the parks 'big event' to come. It could well be ready to open but they have a fixed date in mind and aren't rushing things. The whole thing probably needs a good service having sat still for months. Be a good opportunity to fix the little things - like the projectors, broken screens - before the vast majority of staff disappear for the winter break.

It was rusty as hell even back then. Not a new thing then!

I have never noticed the rainbow steps as you get off the ride before! Doesn't really match the theme at all.

If anyone's worried about the safety at alton lately due to all of the apparent 'dangers' I suggest you take a trip up to Kirby Misperton. The wonderful folks up there used their legs to practically stand on my lap restraint on Mumbo today, just for that extra bit of piece of mind for both the park and myself. Safety first ladies and gents, safety first.

If anyone's worried about the safety at alton lately due to all of the apparent 'dangers' I suggest you take a trip up to Kirby Misperton. The wonderful folks up there used their legs to practically stand on my lap restraint on Mumbo today, just for that extra bit of piece of mind for both the park and myself. Safety first ladies and gents, safety first.

I've seen them using feet on one side and feet on the other trying to close the restraints on a fat girl on Velocity! Too funny!

I've seen them using feet on one side and feet on the other trying to close the restraints on a fat girl on Velocity! Too funny!
Difference is I'm probably as skinny as the word allows for!! Although the restraints on velocity wouldn't lock at one point so they assumed it to be a 'larger' passenger :') Plot twist, it was an empty seat...

Anyway, the smiler, I like that ride.

Noticed in a photo I took this weekend there were some mounts on the vertical lift hill track that didnt have anything attached to them, looking back there used to be some small friction brakes there, wonder why these have been removed, and how recently.

Oakwood is pretty good at safety too. Once saw a little kid going on Speed, the girl measured him, he was under but she said "oh go on". I asked her why she did this to which she replied "well, if I dont let them on, the parents have a go at me so its not worth the hassle". Niceeeeeeee

That shouldn't have been allowed, but I don't get.. Why queue without checking your child's height? It's the most idiotic thing I've seen and then people have a go why they are not allowed on without thinking about safety. It seems once the GP enter parks, the common sense disappears..

I hate it when people go into the queue without measuring, then shout at the op saying it doesn't matter that they are under and they have queried for ages (5 minutes) and that the park isn't that good anyway.

Oakwood is pretty good at safety too. Once saw a little kid going on Speed, the girl measured him, he was under but she said "oh go on". I asked her why she did this to which she replied "well, if I dont let them on, the parents have a go at me so its not worth the hassle". Niceeeeeeee

It is ridiculous that some people will have a go at someone for ensuring their child's safety. No-one should have to apologise for that.

I think they should just advise you not to ride. "Yes, they're under the height limit, if they go on this ride your child will die, but at least you will get your way"

I think they should just advise you not to ride. "Yes, they're under the height limit, if they go on this ride your child will die, but at least you will get your way"
Then they can have their press conference saying how disgraceful the park are for letting this happen and that they 10 quadrulian pounds in compensation!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.