• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
looks like lad on front has a bloody nose

r5Awlv.jpg

Im guessing the half empty train stalled on the loop. Could be some serious whiplash injuries for the people in the front train as well.

the air ambulance would be sent for any spinal injury. Also look at some broken ankles/legs/ribs/arms. That blokes nose. Merlin will have to pay out I should think. Big 6 challenge will be scrapped.

Im guessing the half empty train stalled on the loop. Could be some serious whiplash injuries for the people in the front train as well.

Train in front was empty, hence the stalling methinks when combined with the wind...

The blame pretty much rests on the blocking system, and hence on Gerstlauer's door...

Blowing my mind that this has managed to happen at a park with a safety record as consistent as Alton Towers, on their most technologically advanced coaster. A block system failure is incredibly rare nowadays. The last one I can remember was Eurosat in 2004, but I'm sure there have been more since. I'm going to speculate that today's high winds contributed to both the stall and the need for an empty test run. But why hadn't the cars all returned to the station and final brake blocks?

Yeah, I can't see The Smasher opening again this season.

Makes you wonder, is there any kind of brace position you could adopt in an OTSR?

The last time something like this happened was RMT was it not? It was closed nearly a full season, and that didn't look as serious as this does.

Listening to an eye witness they are saying that announcements were being made to the queue line that the ride was having technical problems. They said the empty car had stopped on the track. The other went into it.

However, they say it was empty but I see more than 4 rows of people there.

Also, people saying they warned the staff at the ride entrance a car had stalled on the track, but staff didnt call ride op's to alert them.

I'd be surprised if a paramedic would tell a member of the public that...... but, never say never, I hope not

Yeah The Smiler won't be removed over this (even if sadly someone has passed away). I can see it being closed for many months though as this is quite a serious incident, probably more serious than RMT.

There are 4 rows filled with people, the first row looks like its been proper crushed with the imapct and part of the bar on the front is hanging off.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.