• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The guy on the front right with the bloodied face really doesnt look good. Everyone else is looking up, his head is down and arms limp. jeeezzz

BBC news are currently reading out a list of all the previous problems with the ride. It doesn't sound good.

The crash from a different angle

CGgKE97WwAIdTt7.jpg:large
The guy on the front corner looks to be in a rather bad way. :/

The person in the front left seat does not look in a good way at all. :(

Towers have a real problem here.

The guy on the front right with the bloodied face really doesnt look good. Everyone else is looking up, his head is down and arms limp. jeeezzz

I think that's natural though limp arms, its like when youre on air, you let your arms flop when youre waiting to get into the station., it sort of takes effort to keep them up.

the air ambulance would be sent for any spinal injury. Also look at some broken ankles/legs/ribs/arms. That blokes nose. Merlin will have to pay out I should think. Big 6 challenge will be scrapped.

I'm sure the Big 6 Challenge is the least of their worries! I honestly don't know what to say, never expected this to happen in a million years.

Hope everyone gets away with as little injuries as possible.

:)

I am honestly shocked beyond belief here. This was an avoidable accident and has resulted in serious injury. A really sad day for the park, probably the worst ever. A sad day for the park, a sad day for the industry, and most importantly a sad day for the guests who both were involved and witnessed the incident.

Going forward, the ride should be shut for at least half a season and remodelled to make it higher to create more speed to prevent stalling in that inversion and the sensor system needs to be thoroughly investigated as to why it gave the clear for the train full of passengers to dispatch.

Again, I'm truly saddened by this.

Going forward, the ride should be shut for at least half a season and remodelled to make it higher to create more speed to prevent stalling in that inversion and the sensor system needs to be thoroughly investigated as to why it gave the clear for the train full of passengers to dispatch.
I don't think that would be needed. Just remove the trims and let the train travel at the speed physics intended. (who knows, maybe this will be a turning point and we might see the end of unneccessary trims in future?)

Of course, it's far to early to say exactly what happened....

Just, it concerns me that if eye witness reports are true, lots of people ran to warn staff at the entrance that a car had stalled, but they didnt phone it through..... whether thats true or not I dont know, but a few people have said it, so there must be an element of truth, unless, it was too late and the car had already cleared the lift hill and was thus unable to be stopped after....

Sad sad day

If two trains end up on the same block, there's nothing an op can do to stop this if the first one stalls. The computers should never have allowed it to happen.

If two trains end up on the same block, there's nothing an op can do to stop this if the first one stalls. The computers should never have allowed it to happen.

Over-reliance on technology is what I'd say. A good thorough check by eyesight should also take place along with the computers. The safety systems need to be re-thinked completely.

According to the Beeb, "emergency crews are building a platform to rescue [the stuck riders]".

Makes you wonder however how the ride was allowed to open in the first place knowing the problems they have had with stalled trains in that area before. That should have been resolved before the ride was ever signed off ready to open.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.