• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
You're kidding me. Why would anyone who was involved want merch of ride they were injured? It reminds them of the incident which has done horrific mental damage to them.
Sorry, didn't mean to say it like that. Was reading something about the smiler at the same time as trying to type which ment I typed it wrong. Didn't realise until after I posted then forgot. Edited it now. Sorry. Hope it makes more sense now.
Never underestimate what collectors are prepared to pay for an item just because it is linked to something they like.
This is exactly what I ment, sorry i didn't mention I was actually talking about collectors.

In short, I am really forgetful and wasn't really thinking. I wouldn't want smiler merch if was on the ride. Really sorry.

Myself on the other hand believes they will simply being everything back once this is no longer fresh in people's minds

Why waste money on rebranding when the actual roller coaster stays. It will always be known as THAT roller coaster regardless of its name

Perhaps some slight changes will be made but the mechindise will be back next season

@delta79...
(Off topic, so will spoiler tag.)
Hehe, the radio is actually one of the cheapest parts of the outfit. The real rare part is the watch. It goes for thousands on ebay! Even the die hard 'Busters aren't daft enough to fork out for one of those. Hence my solution.

Wonder what AT will do with all of the big 6 wristbands since they've scrapped the challenge. I guess they'll have to dispose of them.

Says on the website:

"What has happened to the Big Six Challenge?

If you have already completed the Big Six Challenge and have your wristband, you will still be able to gain free entry to the Theme Park on 4th November 2015. For anyone who has not yet started or completed the Big Six Challenge, this is no longer running. We’re sorry for any disappointment."

Other day it said it had been postponed...

I bought a t shirt the first year Air launched with Aerial Inversion Ride on it, so the name being an acronym is fairly deliberate.

I highly doubt the primary reason they chose the name "Air" was so it could comply with that acronym. I suspect it was something they thought of afterwards, a nice coincidence. But anyway, this thread is about The Smiler.

It's known as a Backronym. Trying to give meaning to a name which it didn't originally have. Most (in Alton Towers case pretty much all) of them are created by fans that can't otherwise justify why something they like has an odd name.

Out of interest I'd like to see that shirt as it would be a rare case that one of these phrases was officially used. I'd still say it's a backronym. Aerial Inversion Ride doesn't make sense, any inverting ride can be classed as that but Air doesn't really invert. However Air as a name makes perfect sense, it's a flying coaster, you fly through the air.

Wardley posted on Rideas (blast from the past) about AIRs name and mentioned that acronym, it was something that came out of Towers but i think it was probably invented after the name was considered. Rita never to my knowledge had any official mention on the acronym and i think may have come about because of AIR

Wardley posted on Rideas (blast from the past) about AIRs name and mentioned that acronym, it was something that came out of Towers but i think it was probably invented after the name was considered. Rita never to my knowledge had any official mention on the acronym and i think may have come about because of AIR

RITA - reverse - Alton Towers Intamin Rocket

Has to be the only decent explanation for such an apalling name.

It's known as a Backronym. Trying to give meaning to a name which it didn't originally have. Most (in Alton Towers case pretty much all) of them are created by fans that can't otherwise justify why something they like has an odd name.

Out of interest I'd like to see that shirt as it would be a rare case that one of these phrases was officially used. I'd still say it's a backronym. Aerial Inversion Ride doesn't make sense, any inverting ride can be classed as that but Air doesn't really invert. However Air as a name makes perfect sense, it's a flying coaster, you fly through the air.

Sorry I sold the t-shirt as it was too small. But they were made for the opening and were on sale at the end of the season before Air opened (they had a model of Air in Towers Trading) and were £25 including next years admission to ride it. I bought the tee for £10 just after Air opened.

Reactions: Tim
Or not, follow any of the links on that mobile site and it takes you to a generic product not available page. In fact it looks like Towers have stopped selling merch online full stop.

:)

it was letting me but last night, WE ARE BEING SPIED ON!!

Edit: just tried it, top item is out of stock but the rest is still working

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.