• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Hopefully they'll concentrate on scarefest and get that back up to scratch, especially the scare mazes, that itself will draw the crowds in.

These sort of things just require a week by week approach. I think numbers will be down over the summer.

These sort of things just require a week by week approach. I think numbers will be down over the summer.
They require the opposite, surely? They require a strategic approach - they're a public company. That's a big deal when your biggest property isn't performing as it should be.

Cedar Fair were attacked by the analysts on the Q earnings call when Cedar Point was closed for two days - that had no long term impact as there was no continuing negative publicity, it was a utility issue. While it's true that NYSE can be slightly less forgiving than FTSE, in this case they won't have to explain why their largest property is down, they will need to explain what they have done to prevent the slide.

Last edited:
I wouldnt expect a huge scarefest this year. Money for scarefest comes from the money made that season in the park - which, this year, will be down hugely.

Its been mentioned before, but their insurance will undoubtedly compensate for loss-of-income albeit not 100%.

If anything, I think scarefest will have a larger budget.

There will be a big push for Scarefest for sure, whether budgets are the same, higher or lower.

Summers aren't usually that busy anyway from past years? Just one or two weeks they seem to get decent crowds.

I wouldnt expect a huge scarefest this year. Money for scarefest comes from the money made that season in the park - which, this year, will be down hugely.

I believe Scarefest may well have been signed off this year before The Smiler incident took place. So there should be no impact on Scarefest. There is more need now for a very successful Scarefest and Fireworks though!

:)

As soon as they can, they will create some huge advertising campaign. Weather that is big 5 challenge, something else, or push more for scarefest

The budget for scarefest could stay exactly the same. All they would really need to do is advertise more. Tv adverts this year.

I think the general feeling with non-enthusiast visitors is that they will visit, but only when the smiler opens because "Alton towers rides are dangerous and always break down"(I put this down to tabloids making exadurated articles on every ride closure)

Visitor numbers will go back up.
There will be more emphasis on fireworks/scarefest.
The smiler queue might never be the same again.
Alton towers won't really be affected.
People will forget.

Didn't mean they would. I was just trying to say that they will do something to distract people from the smiler. Most likely a better advertised scarefest.

The only thing they're succeeding in doing is making themselves look pathetic and desperate
Indeed. I've seen several articles from the tabloids linked to Facebook, and the comments are interesting. The majority of them are saying they've had enough of articles about Towers, and wish that the papers would leave the whole thing alone.

The Mirror just have people going around purposely trying to find something to pick on, and in that case they found t-shirts that have been on sale for years to be picked on.

It's pathetic, but what more do you expect from the Mirror.

It's been so long that they've been selling them that I can't even remember them not being on the shelves

Strange, isn't it? For years - probably a decade, at least - they're not considered to be a problem at all. Then this happens with The Smiler, and the tabloids try to find anything they possibly can to stick the knife in further and twist it. Eurgh.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.