• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The good thing about this is that the public seem to be turning against the tabloids and siding with Merlin and AT.
As excruciating as that sky interview was I also think that did the world of good for AT.

In other news has anyone seen this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alton-towers-slammed-selling-provocative-5920735

Seriously how many years did it take them to clock on to this?! I love how they still manage to mention the crash in an unrelated story. Clutching at straws much?!
"Comfortably fit a girl aged 13" I'm sorry but I'm quite small and can actually fit into a 12 year olds clothes (tightly).

Alton towers wouldn't sell them if people didn't buy them.

"Comfortably fit a girl aged 13" I'm sorry but I'm quite small and can actually fit into a 12 year olds clothes (tightly).

Alton towers wouldn't sell them if people didn't buy them.

I did see that in the shop the other day and for a brief moment contemplated buying it :D

Alton isn't a corner shop emptying the tills at 5pm and running to the cash and carry!

The scarefest budget used to be decided based to some degree on how well the park performed early in the season.

This year is a bit different.

And yes they need a long term strategy but when public opinion is what for fighting against you have to be quickly adaptable.

I have a "must be this tall to ride" T shirt. It goes down very well with the ride ops at fairs and thrill parks.
For obvious reasons, I avoid wearing it at places like Legoland though... :/

I have a "must be this tall to ride" T shirt. It goes down very well with the ride ops at fairs and thrill parks.
For obvious reasons, I avoid wearing it at places like Legoland though... :/

At least that's a bit less risqué than "ride me" anyway the parents should be deciding what's appropriate for their kids to wear not the kids themselves!

I've seen some people elsewhere defending the t-shirt, saying that it's regarding the rides that people have been on and anyone who thinks differently is dirty minded. It clearly isn't and it's really tacky but it doesn't deserve a newspaper article.

The scarefest budget used to be decided based to some degree on how well the park performed early in the season.

This year is a bit different.

And yes they need a long term strategy but when public opinion is what for fighting against you have to be quickly adaptable.
I think that's the perception of enthusiasts, but I don't think it's true. The timescales don't work.

Everything required for Scarefest, not least the staff/equipment associated with the Scare Mazes has to be in place/committed to way before the end of the Summer - most of it is under construction by then.

In terms of regular staffing, hours are pretty much set and have been for a number of years. I know there are slightly less days now, but that was announced at the beginning on the season, right?

Edit - just noticed you said early in the season, that makes even less sense!

Everything required for Scarefest, not least the staff/equipment associated with the Scare Mazes has to be in place/committed to way before the end of the Summer - most of it is under construction by then.

You'd like to think that yes. However it really is not always the case, last year being a perfect example.

:)

I think that's the perception of enthusiasts, but I don't think it's true. The timescales don't work.

I was actually told this is how it works by someone senior at Alton Towers. If the park has a poor season then there isnt the budget for a big scarefest and things get cut, i.e. lighting around the park!

Most things built at Alton are only finished a half hour or so before they open. Or sometimes a few months after the day they were supposed to open.

Or in the case of Air... never.

Aww come on, we got the blue lights in the Air tunnel...... eventually!!

Things that Alton Towers do, and the subsequent budget have absolutely nothing to do with how the park performs, the park does not keep or recycle it's profits internally, they go to the parent company, publically traded Merlin Entertainments. This money is added to all the profit internationally from all Merlin operated attractions, and then each site will be allocated a budget. If Alton Towers perform poorly this year, the parent company will likely be considering a LARGER spending budget either for the latter part of this season, almost certainly for next season. To get bodies back through the gates and the park performing well again.

I really wouldn't be worried about anything anymore, the media are clutching at straws trying to find reasons to remind us of what happened, that is clearly backfiring, Scarefest will not be scaled back at all, all scare actors are hired and contracted in February so the only direction they will go with that is up. I know they are hired in Feb as when me and my wife had our recruitment afternoon they were being auditioned in the next room to us, the week before Feb half term.

When the parent company feel this has died down enough, expect a larger advertising campaign than usual and some form of special offer or event to draw people in.

We may even see a rushed new ride installed for next season to deflect people's attention and create an advertising campaign around.

As originally stated, don't worry about their budgets, they don't keep their or recycle their own money.

Well, regardless of what will now likely be a poor mid season following the accident, the park will surely know, they will have to try and win back the GP this year the best they can, so I'm sure they will put as much effort in to planning and advertising for this year's Scarefest.

Also in terms of next year, we know we will at least be getting Food Loop in Forbidden Valley (real name TBC) plus the beginning advertisements for SW8 (on the assumption it's still opening in 2017). I'm not sure we will see an actual new ride opening yet, but only time will tell.

In terms of regular staffing, hours are pretty much set and have been for a number of years. I know there are slightly less days now, but that was announced at the beginning on the season, right?

Edit - just noticed you said early in the season, that makes even less sense!

It might not make sense but trust me it was always a factor in scarefest budget allocation. Scarefest staff are auditioned/ interviewed in August September and the park build their own sets so the turn around is pretty quick.

Scarefest staff are auditioned in february, i have been in the room next to them auditioning.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.