• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
From what I can see nemesis, air, ripsaw and the monorail are all testing today unsure whether its training or it might open tomorrow

Just for those who have booked hotel stays. Given the circumstances they're not applying the usual terms when it comes to cancelling or rearranging hotel bookings. You just need to give them a ring and they will be happy to help. Don't take my word although I believe if you ring today they will give full refunds with no extra charges or any loss of money with your booking. As I say though ring up today and talk to them if you're concerned or want to see what the options are. Although I can understand why it's a pain if you've booked months in advance (which is what I usually do too).

Also in regards to the daily announcements, that's better than them setting a date and then having to extend the park closure later on, then upsetting a load of guests. With the announcement today it was done in the morning, giving plenty of time for people to change their plans, I don't see that as a problem really and Towers are being very helpful with changing ticket dates, going to other attractions and offering refunds. They're offering everything they can and they should be commended for that. They could announce these things at night, and only offer revalidated tickets... but instead they're offering far more than that to give customers multiple options to suit what they want.

We've got to remember they're losing money in this process and if anything the park continuing to stay closed, and also the options for those to change/refund their tickets/hotel stays shows that Alton Towers/Merlin really do care for their guests. I know we all slate them half the time but the amount of care and consideration they've gone into over this is brilliant.

New here, searching info on when they might open again and came across this great forum!

I know nobody will know for sure but I have a hotel booked near Stoke on Thursday night, an Alton tower hotel on the Friday night and tickets for park Friday and Saturday, what do you guys think the chances are that they will be open by then?

New here, searching info on when they might open again and came across this great forum!

I know nobody will know for sure but I have a hotel booked near Stoke on Thursday night, an Alton tower hotel on the Friday night and tickets for park Friday and Saturday, what do you guys think the chances are that they will be open by then?
Most likely will be open by then, they said they are hoping to open within the next couple of days. Obviously nobody here knows for sure but I am due to visit AT this coming Tuesday and at this moment I fully believe I will be able to go.

I would think it will be open on Monday but by Thursday definitely I would think

Further to the above, and despite the outrage across the internet at Kay Burley, Sky news have just posted this on their Facebook page an hour ago:

"The boss of the park has told Sky News safety measures "weren't adequate" at the attraction."

Liars! Blatant Liars!

Unfortunately I think they took the "weren't adequate" quote from Varney during the outrageous interview, when he was pressed to say "they clearly weren't adequate on Smiler, because the accident happened" (approx. 5:44 mins into the video). Now that they have got that quote, despite him repeating numerous times that he believes the safety measures across the parks have been acceptable, they have spread it all over their headlines for the glory of boosting their traffic and degrading Merlin's reputation. I guess it all comes down to competition at the end of the day, but it's very disappointing to see that they are still promoting that interview given the backlash it has received :confused1:

I don't know whether it would make a difference, but at the TS South meet last weekend we got X out of the way first because someone or other in the group said that they believed it's only running two trains at the moment. If that's correct and likely to remain the case then the additional procedures may well not be necessary with probably only one train out on track at any one time (I don't recall hearing or seeing any others while riding). The ride duration is a lot shorter now that trains don't stop on all the block brakes, and it's not one of the park's more popular rides so I can't imagine there's any real need to run any more trains, especially as in 2013 the bag store faff was resulting in trains being sent half empty.
Ah, that would indeed make sense! I haven't been on it in a while and didn't realise. Fair enough.
Further to the above, and despite the outrage across the internet at Kay Burley, Sky news have just posted this on their Facebook page an hour ago:

"The boss of the park has told Sky News safety measures "weren't adequate" at the attraction."

Liars! Blatant Liars!
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, he did say that they weren't adequate for the Smiler in the interview with Kay Burley. So how are they liars for saying this?

Welcome to the forum Robert :). I think it's unlikely the park will still be closed next Friday/Saturday. In recent statements from Merlin, we've seen a change from them saying the park will be closed "for the forseeable future" to stating they plan to reopen in "the next few days". From the softening of their statements for park opening, I'd say it's safe to assume you'll be fine, although obviously there's going to be some ride closures.

It's looks like all the smiler merchandise is being removed from the hotel shops

Yes, he (Varney) did say they were inadequate after being pushed several times. Although of course it's been taken out of context as you have to see the full interview. Exactly what Sky wanted.

Yes, he (Varney) did say they were inadequate after being pushed several times. Although of course it's been taken out of context as you have to see the full interview. Exactly what Sky wanted.
But even when taken out of the interview, the meaning is exactly the same as when he says it in the interview. I have to say that Nick Varney dealt with the interrogation extremely well and I agree with everyone that he is very upset by these events but to deny he said it is incorrect.

Yes, and I know I keep pointing this out on several forums, but no level of health and safety can cover for coincidence. One cannot guard against every scenario, there is always something extrememly unpredictable that could happen. Thats why I support Varney, and do believe that the Sky interrogations had been an absolute disgrace to modern reporting. If HS becomes too stringent, the rides become too cushy and dont feel like rollercoasters. I like the Smiler how it is, and I would happily take the chance any day of the year of riding it

Yes, and I know I keep pointing this out on several forums, but no level of health and safety can cover for coincidence. One cannot guard against every scenario, there is always something extrememly unpredictable that could happen.

Absolutely, and that's what winds me up about many media organisations. There's never an aim to gain answers, the sole aim of an interview is to gain a controversial angle which can be published for tomorrow's clickbait. Nothing in life is without risk, you just take steps to minimise it as much as possible, which all theme parks and manufacturers have always done. That doesn't mean you consider things as inherently unsafe, it's just that you've taken all possible steps at the time to minimise that risk. If something happens, then you consider the steps that led to that incident, and consider what (if anything) could be improved.

It's just like cars, no one considers them to be 'inherently unsafe', but a few years down the line - just as with the advent of ABS, traction control, airbags etc there will be something that will be considered as pretty much standard on all cars to improve their safety in the event of an accident.

Hi,

I was watching the Sky News video and saw this: http://prntscr.com/7dttik, showing 2 restraints on the train still down. Anyone know why this is, because to me it seems like there were only 14 people on the ride?

You can always rely on the totally unbiased Mirror.. not.. :
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alton-towers-accident-kay-burley-5833468

In better news, that petition to sack Bully Burley is just about at 4,000 signatures:
https://www.change.org/p/sky-news-s...-interviewing-of-alton-towers-ceo-nick-varney

But it's never going to happen. I wrote to Sky and Ofcom complaining about the April Jones coverage by Burley and the live announcement on air (and ensuing reaction) to close friends of the family that the case had upgraded from missing person to murder. Atrocious behaviour by any standard, but all Sky did was defend her.

Back on topic somewhat, I've never yet ridden Smiler as it's been nearly three years since my last AT visit, when I had an annual pass. But assuming it eventually re-opens as whatever, I will be looking forward to it. All of life is spent 'dodging bullets' but to anyone with common sense, rollercoasters are not by any means a high risk activity. Now the M6 motorway to get up north, that's a different story... :p

Of course, typically, I acquired my Sun free tickets for Wednesday 3rd June some time before, and had it all planned to go that day... ah well, later this year will do.

Ive been thinking that (there is one down on row 3 as well) this video show there were people in the 2 seats
so the news has got on thing right.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.