• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Going back a bit, I can confirm that the train that crashed in to the stalled train had 16 people on.
So why could I spot an empty seat when it was oscillating on the very first videos released? Or was the person just slumped forwards, a lot?

^wow, just wow.
I was actually looking for pictures to compare to the video when I found that new article. If you're on about the first seat in the second row back, I think they are wearing black and if you watch the video really carefully you can make out an arm. In picture 3 of 30 in The Mirror article you can't see anyone properly because of the way the picture was taken, but I think you can make out a logo or something on their top. It doesn't look the same as the empty seats in the front carriage.

I was actually looking for pictures to compare to the video when I found that new article. If you're on about the first seat in the second row back, I think they are wearing black and if you watch the video really carefully you can make out an arm. In picture 3 of 30 in The Mirror article you can't see anyone properly because of the way the picture was taken, but I think you can make out a logo or something on their top. It doesn't look the same as the empty seats in the front carriage.
Oh okay, in that first clip that a guy uploaded to twitter I could barely make anyone out! Illuminati unconfirmed

it mentions these trains failing to make it round, but a simple google search should lead the mirror to this sight, towerstimes/nerd/almanac to see this has happened before. Christ this site exploded when a crain was brought in to clear the stuck train.

Sorry, but What are you talking about?

Firstly, it's been established for days that it was a full train.

Secondly, why would anyone care (and why would it matter?) if there were 14 people on the ride instead of 16? I'm completely missing the point here I think. Or do people just like writing things on forum's for the sake of it?

In a way, and I hate to say it, this report is correct though.....

Yes, trains have stalled here in the past, quite a few times and had to be removed with the crane.
Yes, the train could have been rolled backwards down the lift hill and the accident avoided completely
Yes, there is CCTV focused on the track
Yes, we also think its human error.

It sounds familiar to something I read a ride op write on Facebook the other day, in particular with regards the proximity sensors, so I think this report is probably one of the more accurate ones that has been published so far by the Mirror. Only thing i will say about it is that im surprised someone working there (or used to) has gone to the press with this info....

Secondly, why would anyone care (and why would it matter?) if there were 14 people on the ride instead of 16? I'm completely missing the point here I think. Or do people just like writing things on forum's for the sake of it?

Indeed, I think we're veering toward pointless territory now almost touching on some sort of crazy conspiracy theories. There were 16 people on the train, the question that was initially asked was just why the restraints were closed. So back more sensible topics please.

In terms of The Mirror report, yes the trains have stalled in the past. But, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't the issue. It's a fairly common occurrence on rides around the world. The main issue at hand is why a second train was able to continue on the ride circuit after this train had stalled.

If it's proven that it was as I suspect a procedural error then there is no reason why it can't reopen in the next few weeks.
Software and small hardware changes (like added sensors or cctv) don't take long to do and I'd imagine the order has already been placed for replacement trains from Guertlauser.

Whether towers choose to open it or not is another matter but the ride could be ready to reopen within weeks.

I like custard
:D

In terms of The Mirror report, yes the trains have stalled in the past. But, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't the issue. It's a fairly common occurrence on rides around the world. The main issue at hand is why a second train was able to continue on the ride circuit after this train had stalled.

I wouldn't necessarily say a ride car not making it all the way around the track, particularly on multiple occasions was a common occurrence though?

I wouldn't necessarily say a ride car not making it all the way around the track, particularly on multiple occasions was a common occurrence though?

Yeah, probably wrong choice of words there. I mean more that a valleyed car/train on its own is something that doesn't usually cause injury and has happened on coasters across the world, and in comparison with crashes is pretty common. What is the issue at hand with The Smiler issue is the fact that a second train was despatched after this occurred.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.