• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Interesting to note that the rattlesnake re-opened today for the first time since the crash. This could mean that an opening is imminent. I believe that more testing would have been done out of hours on multiple cars.

I asked one of the people doing the checks, who told me they worked for this company: http://www.ltci.co.uk/ - they had nothing to do with HSE, and were being sub contracted by Alton Towers to conduct the checks.

That's the company that check all the rides after they have had their winter maintenance, to ensure that the rides are safe to be opened to the public again.

That's the company that check all the rides after they have had their winter maintenance, to ensure that the rides are safe to be opened to the public again.
What you have just said basically confirms an opening in a couple of weeks.

What you have just said basically confirms an opening in a couple of weeks.

Actually, it confirms that they are inspecting the ride and reporting its condition to the owner-user.

Funny how people perceive things differently isn't it. This could be a mandatory inspection ordered by the park's insurers or any number of different things.

Actually, it confirms that they are inspecting the ride and reporting its condition to the owner-user.

Funny how people perceive things differently isn't it. This could be a mandatory inspection ordered by the park's insurers or any number of different things.
No if they do work before public riding during winter it suggests public riding very soon.

No if they do work before public riding during winter it suggests public riding very soon.

They can be commissioned for any reason and at any time - indeed they would likely welcome the work at this time of year for obvious reasons. I understand this activity promotes speculation, but it isn't necessarily indicative of an imminent reopening.

@spinba11 yes, about 12.30 on Monday.
It was weird, my 5 year old lad asked to eat his sandwiches near the smiler so he could look if it would be back on. He noticed one of the trains was outside the station with someone working on it.
Walking down the hill past the entrance we noticed two ride hosts messing with the box on the fence. Sat for 5 minutes and he said what's that sound. Looked up and the smiler was going up the lift hill.

The Birmingham Mail reporting the smiler will not open for scare fest after contacting towers

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/smiler-not-re-opening-near-10013481

No new quotes there or anything. That could simply be a reporter (I use the term loosely) having seen the video of testing then the twitter response saying that it was just part of the on-going process. If it had a direct quote from Nick Varney or Alton Towers management I would accept wholly that it will not be opening in the foreseeable future. Alas, there is nothing in that article.

What a load of garbage. This is no disrespect to the people that got injured as I feel for them so much. But I'm sick of reading the same story over and over again done by the same newspapers.

They add a new headline and a new paragraph then copy and paste the original story again and again.

Unless they know someone who works high up in towers management, there is no way they can say for definite that it wont open. I doubt that it really is the HSE, they left when the park reopened. This seems to be (mostly) all standard closed season work taking place, which im hoping means opening is imminent, either scarefest, fireworks, or a random day. It will almost definitely this season IMO

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.