• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think they have been called survivors in this case as it is clear that two of them came extremely close to death; if it was not for the rescurers going against the rules and orders they would have died. I don't see much merit in discussing what to class them as; survivors, victims, injured, people on the front row - it doesn't really make that much difference.

:)

The other 12 were not interesting enough to the media, also they clearly want to just move on from this and get on with their lives.

No offence to the main 4 but if they truly wanted to move on from the incident and try and build a life again etc, then the worst way to do that is to publically talk about it to any outlet that will pay you to do so, every other week. Yes it is terrible it happened to them but some of them, really are trying their hardest to stay in the media spotlight.

I refuse to believe that Nick Varney said that they were opening it because they are losing money.

Going on tv and making something like that up is actually quite a dangerous thing to do to a company that are treating you beyond good, if that statement is proved false then Merlin would have every right to sue that person for damaging their business with false information. Or in this case, withdraw compensation, and to be honest, she is doing it to herself and i hope they do.

The Smiler crashed, people got seriously hurt, it was a direct action of 2 employees and not the ride system that caused it to happen. It will reopen sooner rather than later, a lot of people want to ride it, not just enthusiasts, it is safe so why shouldn't they?

Merlin have been nothing but professional and this is feeling like a witch hunt more than ever.

rant over

She actually stated that nick didn't say anything about money but it was the feeling that he meant it that way.

The only thing that confuses me is she met them start of September, her first TV interview was after and never mentioned the opening or even being angry towards towers commenting how well they treated her.

The other three especially the one gentleman Dan? He has vanished and does not seem interested in any of this. But we don't know how we would act in any situation at the end of the days towers failed in its duty of care towards these people and have acted well towards them but they will feel anger is understandable.

The other 12 were not interesting enough to the media, also they clearly want to just move on from this and get on with their lives.

No offence to the main 4 but if they truly wanted to move on from the incident and try and build a life again etc, then the worst way to do that is to publically talk about it to any outlet that will pay you to do so, every other week. Yes it is terrible it happened to them but some of them, really are trying their hardest to stay in the media spotlight.

I refuse to believe that Nick Varney said that they were opening it because they are losing money.

Going on tv and making something like that up is actually quite a dangerous thing to do to a company that are treating you beyond good, if that statement is proved false then Merlin would have every right to sue that person for damaging their business with false information. Or in this case, withdraw compensation, and to be honest, she is doing it to herself and i hope they do.

The Smiler crashed, people got seriously hurt, it was a direct action of 2 employees and not the ride system that caused it to happen. It will reopen sooner rather than later, a lot of people want to ride it, not just enthusiasts, it is safe so why shouldn't they?

Merlin have been nothing but professional and this is feeling like a witch hunt more than ever.

rant over

Nick Varney did not say they are re-opening it because they are losing money, it has already been cleared up that those quotes were taken out of context.

It may look like some of those involved are trying hard to stay in the media spotlight but you do not actually know what is going on and who exactly is driving what ends up in the media. People do deal with things quickly, it's been clear since the incident happened that Daniel Thorpe appears less keen to appear in the media than Leah, Vicky and Joe. Is this right or wrong? I suppose it is up to them and there's not too much wrong with that.

Saying that Merlin should withdraw compensation because of what someone said in the media (which was probably taken out of context anyway) is just wrong and I am disappointed that you hope it is something they do. Withdrawing compensation would only lead to a more complicated legal case anyway, it is never going to happen and it should not happen - a crazy suggestion.

People move on in different ways, that should be respected. It's hard to know what you would do in a situation until you are actually in that situation. It is very easy to say what you would do as an onlooker.

'No offence' but what a complete load of drivel.

There is zero chance of Merlin or Nick Varney suing, or even remotely criticising, the victims of the accident. You can see from his statements that he was running scared following the claims, while still trying to clarify the matter.

Last edited:
Can we please stop hating on the victims of the crash?

I want to see the ride reopen as much as anyone, but this thread has a taken a turn for the worse in attacking the victims themselves recently. There really is no need for it.

Can we please stop hating on the victims of the crash?
what do you mean "were hating on the victims"? If in fact she actually has made up what varney said then we have every right to criticise and if she hasn't then why is it hating? She has a right to her opinion, but either her or the media is attacking both varney and towers for no reason. I would personally say the latter, but anything's possible

I do not think anyone has made up anything, we have just had quotes taken out of context which is common place in the media. I do say this without watching any recent interviews on various programmes so apologise if I am mistaken.

There is a problem of option being reported as fact in the media.
To be honest. I think people in rows 3 & 4 will find it easier to slip away from the media, as they did not have their names and faces spread across the media.

The front row guests where thrush into the limelight by the news media without knowing.

what do you mean "were hating on the victims"? If in fact she actually has made up what varney said then we have every right to criticise and if she hasn't then why is it hating? She has a right to her opinion, but either her or the media is attacking both varney and towers for no reason. I would personally say the latter, but anything's possible
So you are suggesting that she could be attacking Alton Towers "for no reason?"

I think it's worth remembering that the victims have suffered life-changing injuries at the fault of Alton, they have every right to be angry at them.

but isn't everyone on the train a survivor too. I think its just the media carefully choosing their words to make the crash seem even worse.
Yes... Everyone is a 'survivor' if you will, but there were no fatalities, so there were also no non-survivors either.

I think there are a lot of insensitive comments on here. People are obviously failing to understand the severity of what happened here.

Firstly the lives of these people has been changed, significantly. You think losing a leg wont have an impact on your life? Wrong. The pain and suffering they have been through, the trauma and the continuing trauma they will experience for years to come. The nightmares, the emotional distress, the flashbacks, the fact they wont be able to drive a car like the rest of us without adaptions, or be able to walk around a theme park all day, or be a dancer like the one girl was.

Who the hell are we to judge these people, or say that "sod them, lets get the ride back open". Yes it is respect to keep it closed for the time being, one to respect the gravity of the situation and two to ensure that it never, ever, ever happens again, and that the appropriate tests and security measures are now in place.

Not one person here has any right whatsoever to judge these people, or suggest they are only wanting fame and money, and that their injuries do not warrant a delay in reopening the ride. I suggest people think about how losing a limb would affect their lives both physically and emotionally before they type.

The ride will reopen yes, when, who knows, maybe soon, BUT, the victims, their feelings and how ever much compensation etc they may get should be left out of this debate.

The victims, their feelings and how ever much compensation etc they may get should be left out of this debate.

Thank goodness you aren't a moderator.

You cannot dictate or set out what can / cannot, should / should not be discussed. It's a public Forum. By definition, that means a place we can all share opinions, thoughts and ideas, so long as they are legal.

These guys are in the public eye, like it or not. Some have gone public with EVERYTHING so you can hardly expect the forum to remain mute on topics regarding them.

Yes it is respect to keep it closed for the time being, one to respect the gravity of the situation and two to ensure that it never, ever, ever happens again, and that the appropriate tests and security measures are now in place.

But you're saying two different things here. Keeping it closed to "respect the gravity of the situation" is dictated by who and when? Who gets the overall say, in your scenario, when it's been a respectful period of time or not?
As for keeping it closed out of respect to ensure it never happens again - how is that respect? That's technical, not respect in any way, shape or form.

So you are suggesting that she could be attacking Alton Towers "for no reason?"

I think it's worth remembering that the victims have suffered life-changing injuries at the fault of Alton, they have every right to be angry at them.
actually, i was implying that the media was attacking for no reason, if in fact varney didn't say that it is opening because of money, something i sincerely doubt he said.

Yes, i want the ride to reopen. Yes, i think the media have twisted this story to the point where its literally just attacking varney and towers, and i also think that everyone on here is entitled an opinion (no one is actually being insulting to the victims).

To be honest I would be very surprised if the ride opened this season now. It's October little over 4 weeks of the season left, my prediction was if it is not open by September then it won't be opening.

But at least it means it will be tested and ready to go in time for the new season

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.