• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Insecurity

Oh lord, where to start! We'd be here all night if I get started!

The main ones for me though are:

• Looks
  • Friendships
  • Acceptance

I get really distressed and paranoid about me appearance sometimes, as vain as it may sound. I'm not just talking about things such as is my hair looking perfect either :p Most of it no doubt stems back to when I was younger, and was more or less constantly on the receiving end of jibes and mockery for my appearance. Heh, I guess it's just something I've never completely gotten over, and still sits there in the back of my mind.

Friendships are something which I consider very important to me. Especially you guys! I love you guys! :D I get very stressed and worked up if I ever think something is wrong between myself and a friend, and often let my mind run away with me sometimes, which can result in me getting into a state over the most unlikely and ridiculous situations!

Being accepted by people... Need I really say more on that front? :p

*closes The Book of Bote*

Ian said:
The main ones for me though are:

• Looks
  • Friendships
  • Acceptance

Looks: You're fairly gorgeous, you've nothing to worry about.
Friendships: We love you very much.
Acceptance: We still love you, very much.

Better? ;D

My fave way to get around insecurities is to act like a complete idiot. Don't ask it just works.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

RustyRider said:
I'm generally a pretty confident guy, but I hate my smile with a passion, I had a bike accident about 8 years ago. I went over the handlebars and landed on my mouth, my lower lip was hanging off, I lost 6 teeth and broke my jaw in 4 places with my chin bone on show..

After reconstructive surgery on my face it left masses of scar tissue in my lower lip which made my lip protrude outwards for around 2 years and left my teeth less straight... It's not so bad these days but when it's cold my entire chin goes bright red n whenever I laugh my hand instinctively covers my mouth and all my Facebook photos are just really fake smiles :/.

I got hit by a car when I was 14 and landed on my face, bit through my lip and lost teeth and also broke my cheek bone. Like you I have a lot of scar tissue in my lower lip and it makes me really paranoid. I also have false teeth which sometimes make me feel paranoid, as they overbite slightly. Sometimes I just want to tell people who didn't know me back then why my lip and teeth are like that, but I don't like to draw attention to it. If I'm sitting in traffic I will bite my lower lip to pull it in because I am convinced the driver next to me is wondering why I'm sticking out my bottom lip!

I hate the right hand side of my face. My teeth are crooked on the right hand side, my right nostril is considerably larger (as is my nose when viewed from the right hand side), the skin above my right eye droops causing my eye to look lazy, my right-hand eyebrow completely droops and I have to pencil it in to match the other carefully every day. My 80-odd year old Grandma has the same thing, the whole left hand side of her face droops to the point where she has to have botox (on the NHS to stop her becoming disfigured, rather than privately for cosmetic use). I worry that very soon I'll end up that way.

I'm now insecure that people will read this post & think that I'm shallow by complaining about my looks. Looks aren't important to me but I can try to control my personality, my looks are something that I have no control over so it's the main thing that I get insecure about.

My second major insecurity is 'fitting in'. I'm extremely socially awkward, 9 times out of 10 I force myself to join in with conversations just because I can't allow myself to relax whilst letting conversation flow naturally. I'm far too concious of 'not being funny enough' or 'getting overlooked'. 9 times out of 10, whenever I force conversation I end up thinking 'you absolute plum - what on Earth did you say that for?'. To add a positive to the scenario though, I'm quite strong willed in that I don't feel the need to fit in enough to become a sheep. If a group of people start calling somebody else or being nasty and I disagree with it then I'm strong enough to let them know.

Life would just be easier if my face was symmetrical and I was as naturally funny as I am gobby!

EuroSatch said:
One of my insecurities is confidence and whether people want to be associated with me. I get very anxious when meeting new people, as I worry that they will think im not worth getting to know. This then turns into anxiety that my friends don't actually consider me a friend.

Its mostly irrational. But that's what insecurities are

Pretty much this.

Benedique said:
I hate the right hand side of my face. My teeth are crooked on the right hand side, my right nostril is considerably larger (as is my nose when viewed from the right hand side), the skin above my right eye droops causing my eye to look lazy, my right-hand eyebrow completely droops and I have to pencil it in to match the other carefully every day. My 80-odd year old Grandma has the same thing, the whole left hand side of her face droops to the point where she has to have botox (on the NHS to stop her becoming disfigured, rather than privately for cosmetic use). I worry that very soon I'll end up that way.

I'll be 100% honest and say I have never noticed any of that. You look stunning from any angle Dom :D

Benedique said:
I'm now insecure that people will read this post & think that I'm shallow by complaining about my looks. Looks aren't important to me but I can try to control my personality, my looks are something that I have no control over so it's the main thing that I get insecure about.

I'll be completely honest when I say your looks are stunning - you've got nothing to worry about. You needn't take my word for it either, just ask Craig or look at last year's forum awards, and you'll see everything tallies up to say the exact same thing. :)

Everyone has an insecurity unless you think you're absolutely perfect, which is near impossible. My one major insecurity is wearing glasses, and the perception that goes with it of looking like a 'nerd' or uncool simply by looking at someone. A few years ago weight was the issue controlling my life, but it seems there will always be an insecurity at the back of my head. But hey de hay, I suppose life goes on.