• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

LA Times 'Coaster Olympics' poll

Sam

TS Member
LA Times is always quite big on theme park news worldwide, and they're celebrating the Olympics by holding a poll to decide the best coaster in the England (even though one's in Wales). Here's the coasters in the running, in order of their current standing in the poll:

Nemesis (Alton Towers) 39.41% (850 votes)
Big One (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) 39.08% (843 votes)
Swarm (Thorpe Park) 5.56% (120 votes)
Grand National (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) 5.47% (118 votes)
Wild Mouse (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) 1.25% (27 votes)
Saw: The Ride (Thorpe Park) 1.21% (26 votes)
Big Dipper (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) 1.11% (24 votes)
Steeplechase (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) 1.02% (22 votes)
Nickelodeon Streak (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) 0.93% (20 votes)
Oblivion (Alton Towers) 0.93% (20 votes)
Cobra (Paultons Park) 0.83% (18 votes)
Stealth (Thorpe Park) 0.7% (15 votes)
Air (Alton Towers) 0.65% (14 votes)
Ultimate (Lightwater Valley) 0.51% (11 votes)
Colossus (Thorpe Park) 0.37% (8 votes)
Megafobia (Oakwood) 0.28% (6 votes)
Nemesis: Inferno (Thorpe Park) 0.23% (5 votes)
Thirteen (Alton Towers) 0.14% (3 votes)
Speed: No Limits (Oakwood) 0.09% (2 votes)
Tyrolean Tubtwist (Joyland) 0.09% (2 votes)
G-Force (Drayton Manor) 0.05% (1 votes)
Knightmare (Camelot) 0.05% (1 votes)
Runaway Train (Chessington World of Adventure) 0.05% (1 votes)
Roller Coaster (Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach) 0% (0 votes)
Velocity (Flamingo Land) 0% (0 votes)

Get voting! I'm not going to tell you who to vote for, but it's very close between the top two contenders at the moment...

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... 7942.story

I think the reason for the huge jump between 2nd and 3rd place is the apparent lack of any system for preventing people voting multiple times, allowing fan(boy)s of the 2 leading rides to get into a voting war.

Shame really, as it's pretty much rendered the entire thing meaningless.

It may be meaningless, but PMBO doesn't even deserve to win a meaningless contest (it's currently winning by 20 votes).

It shouldn't be surprising that PMBO is getting some of the top votes, in fact it shouldn't be surprising at all that almost every Blackpool coaster is in there since PBB is automatically seen as a top British destination of sorts. It's a shame that only Runaway Train from Chessington is the only rollercoaster from said park, Vampire is moreso a British gem!

Sam said:
It may be meaningless, but PMBO doesn't even deserve to win a meaningless contest (it's currently winning by 20 votes).
Maybe not, but it only takes one or two sufficiently dedicated fans to prevent any other outcome. It's not not worth the hassle, just let it go.

I would rather PMBO do well as I can see why the general public would love it. It IS iconic . But I do not get Steeplechase up there! ?!?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Pretty pointless as many people won't be theme park frequenters and so will vote for the one they recognise most rather than the actual best coaster. There is absolutely no way that PMBO is the best coaster in this country, so this is meaningless.

Blaze said:
11 votes for The Ultimate? 11?

What is this, the Golden Ticket Awards?!

Nope - This is the awards where you can vote for your favourite all day if you wish as there's no restrictions.

This poll is simply pointless. :-\

I don't think I've ever seen such a random order of Roller Coasters :p and where are classics like the Vampire?

I know this poll has probably been swayed by fans and therefore has very little meaning but one thing that's always fascinated me is Blackpool's popularity in America. Maybe it’s the classic seaside amusement park feel or the icon and historical nature of some of the rides but it just seems to always do well in American polls such as The Golden Ticket Awards.

The top 3 as of 9:20pm
top3.png

Also on the same pole it says Nickelodeon Streak is better than STEALTH? :eek:

I am not going to bother voting as the whole thing seems a farce.

:p

Multiple votes per IP, making every internet poll pointless since forever...

Hell, this poll puts Runaway Train in it rather than Vampire AND Fury, it's stupid... Very, very stupid...

Sam said:
PMBO is winning and Streak is beating Stealth because the poll is being rigged by PBE.

Although it's not the result I'd have expected. that seems quite forward without any proof. That site must think we're a right bunch of nasties. ;)

NastyPasty said:
Sam said:
PMBO is winning and Streak is beating Stealth because the poll is being rigged by PBE.

Although it's not the result I'd have expected. that seems quite forward without any proof. That site must think we're a right bunch of nasties. ;)

They posted this on their Facebook page.

Pleasure Beach Experience Facebook said:
Calling all Pleasure Beach fans, let's vote the rides at the Pleasure Beach to the top; http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... 7942.story It'll only take a minute. :)

If Alton linked this on their Facebook it would be amusing. But they won't as the entire thing lacks credibility.

Nice bit of advertising though.