• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lack of enthusiasm/optimism for Alton Towers in recent years?

Don't forget the April fools edition of Live and Kicking (or was it Going Live?) that had John Wardley standing by the lake talking about the new "underwater, SCUBA equiped coaster with live sharks" that would be opening next year! :p

Don't forget the April fools edition of Live and Kicking (or was it Going Live?) that had John Wardley standing by the lake talking about the new "underwater, SCUBA equiped coaster with live sharks" that would be opening next year! :p
Is that online somewhere.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I've never been able to find it, but it could be out there somewhere. I definately didn't dream it!

The first time I was aware of the existence of AT was when it was used every week on a Saturday morning kids program (number 73?), where they played a game of snakes and ladders on a big vertical scaffolding ' board', which had actual ladders and slides for snakes. Was amazing to little me, and resulted our first family trip around that time. I'd say that sort of promotion is still invaluable; look what it's done for places like Longleat with Animal Park or MonkeyWorld with Monkey Business.

Its a long way away from here in Essex, but I haven't been to Towers for 2 years and that would have been unthinkable a few years back. I even practically drove passed the place last year to get to Blackpool and didn't bother popping in. The opening hours, the dire operations especially the dreadful results of poorly managed fastrack, the lack of anything new that's of interest, all mean it's not worth my while. I can't get away from loving a few of the rides though, and at the end of the day I can't chose to go on nemesis elsewhere, so I imagine I will be back for a visit this year for SW8. I'll go with the expectation of enjoying myself in spite of how the park currently is though, instead of because of it.

The first time I was aware of the existence of AT was when it was used every week on a Saturday morning kids program (number 73?), where they played a game of snakes and ladders on a big vertical scaffolding ' board', which had actual ladders and slides for snakes. Was amazing to little me, and resulted our first family trip around that time. I'd say that sort of promotion is still invaluable; look what it's done for places like Longleat with Animal Park or MonkeyWorld with Monkey Business.

Its a long way away from here in Essex, but I haven't been to Towers for 2 years and that would have been unthinkable a few years back. I even practically drove passed the place last year to get to Blackpool and didn't bother popping in. The opening hours, the dire operations especially the dreadful results of poorly managed fastrack, the lack of anything new that's of interest, all mean it's not worth my while. I can't get away from loving a few of the rides though, and at the end of the day I can't chose to go on nemesis elsewhere, so I imagine I will be back for a visit this year for SW8. I'll go with the expectation of enjoying myself in spite of how the park currently is though, instead of because of it.
:eek: WOW how old ... :p those were the days

No lack of enthusiasm from me. I love the place. Every time I enter towers street at the start of the day I'm every bit as excited now as I was as an 8 year old 38 years ago.

I'm no Merlin apologist and they have a lot to answer for. The reduction in park entertainment, removal of the flume, and the failure to look after their existing attractions are my biggest bugbears.

I'm in a minority here, but despite everything, I think it is good value for money. There is no reason why anyone should pay more than half price with the wealth of vouchers available and I can think of few places you can visit and experience half a dozen multi million pound attractions for 6 to 11 hours depending on the date for just over 25 quid. Wipes the floor with the cinema, theatre, concert and pretty much everything else as far as I'm concerned. The Vista of the towers, gardens and grounds are amazing. It's hard to make it bad.

I've given Merlin lots of stick when it's justified and will do again, but despite everything...

I still love AT!

If you see me there, I'm the big kid running about like an excited 8 year old. I feel so much younger at AT than anywhere else.
I totally agree actually, if you compare it to other forms of entertainment it’s good value.
The people who complain about the closures mid week should go look on the six flags and cedar fair websites.
I also hate to break it to you but the vast majority of the general public are happy with a 5 o’clock close after a long day of walking round most kids want to leave by then.

I totally agree actually, if you compare it to other forms of entertainment it’s good value.
The people who complain about the closures mid week should go look on the six flags and cedar fair websites.
I also hate to break it to you but the vast majority of the general public are happy with a 5 o’clock close after a long day of walking round most kids want to leave by then.

I would love to see the proof that the majority are "happy" to be done at 5pm. Are us British really *that* different from the Americans, Continental-Europeans, Asians?

It's quite a different matter that Alton Towers has no compelling reason to stay beyond that sort of time most of the season. There are really not many rides, nothing other than rides to do anyway - and the food/beverage is hardly anything special. So people are effectively forced out because the park don't make them stay.

Brits swarm to Disneyland Paris and PortAventura and seem to make it until the night time fireworks show?

And re: CP and SF - those parks do indeed close a lot - and always have. The key here is, Alton has not. And secondly, when CP and SF are open - look at their opening hours!

I would love to see the proof that the majority are "happy" to be done at 5pm. Are us British really *that* different from the Americans, Continental-Europeans, Asians?

If that was the case why scarefest and fireworks always got a good turn out of all day guests?

I remember the answer from Roland Mack, when he was asked what the reason for the success of Europa Park is. He said: " We focus on satisfying our visitors as much as possible." Wow. It´s simple as that. That`s what they do.The result: People are coming back, raving about the place, the success in growing. And Merlin: "Let`s focus on making as much money as possible while at the same time we try to give the ILLUSION that everything is getting better and better." The result? Many people, especially the enthusiasts, get that...feel that...which results in less enthusiasm for the place. I think that`s like the "essence" of the problem and the difference to parks like Europa, Efteling, Phantasialand. Those parks are REALLY getting better and better over the time...making huge investments without cutting down on other aspects...

I remember the answer from Roland Mack, when he was asked what the reason for the success of Europa Park is. He said: " We focus on satisfying our visitors as much as possible." Wow. It´s simple as that. That`s what they do.The result: People are coming back, raving about the place, the success in growing. And Merlin: "Let`s focus on making as much money as possible while at the same time we try to give the ILLUSION that everything is getting better and better." The result? Many people, especially the enthusiasts, get that...feel that...which results in less enthusiasm for the place. I think that`s like the "essence" of the problem and the difference to parks like Europa, Efteling, Phantasialand. Those parks are REALLY getting better and better over the time...making huge investments without cutting down on other aspects...

The simple fact is that these parks are independent.

Very few parks, which a part of large conglomerates, are ran anywhere near as well. Because...

Money. Shareholders. Profit.

Again, it boils down to a lack of ambition. If the park wanted to, quite easily, with the right vision they could lay on events of a similar nature to:

Name: Alton Towers Festival of Summer
For the summer, if they had the hunger, they could open 'til 7/8PM, put on some BBQ style food on front lawns, have all day entertainment, morning welcoming parade, exit farewell parade, have meet and greets with characters, have some archery on the front lawns, musical compositions throughout the park. Even open up an outside bar, and get a great atmosphere. The marketing point would be all day, non stop entertainment and late night riding, and delicious food on offer.

Opening Hours: 10-8

Alton Towers' SnowGlobe Adventure
For the Christmas period, open the park for a mass-public event, have Christmas ale-drinks in pop up tents on Lawns, get fake snow on the roofs and pathways, get 4-6 Christmas shows, morning parade, evening parade, ice skating rink, fair selection of rides open, get character meet and greets with Snowmen/Santa etc, Santa Grottos, have some decent quality Xmas food (pigs in blankets, Xmas pudding) etc with an AT logo emblazoned somehow. Even get a big tree with a projection mapping show with a unique and compelling story between AT characters and Santa.

Opening hours: 11-5

All of what I have put above is nothing revolutionary, world first, or particularly imaginative. Just simple entertainment which turns a day into an event.

However, it is my belief that the company behind Alton do not have the ambition to put on these scale of events if it does not bring massive profits instantly. However, in the long run, once props, show ideas, Trees, etc have been purchased the events could be cost effective and drive visitation.

:)

Thing is, they want to do all this kind of thing. And have done for years.

However, there is *never* the money in the pot to do it, and they can never justify the risk.

Basically, Merlin stifle creativity by not empowering the parks to do anything new.

Thing is, they want to do all this kind of thing. And have done for years.

However, there is *never* the money in the pot to do it, and they can never justify the risk.

Basically, Merlin stifle creativity by not empowering the parks to do anything new.

I agree. The local management at the park are from my experience, on the whole, very ambitious and genuinely want the park to succeed.

However, due to the entire RTP division being ran from an office in the South of the country, money is never allocated to put on such events, and are consequently never realised.

Sad really. :(

Surely Drayton Manors Christmas event must bring in the revenue if they continue to put it on year after year. It would be great if towers did something.

There's no denying towers and the other Merlin parks have flaws but this season I've had 10 park days with my map and not one of them has been bad. I've made so many great memories and had no negative interactions with staff unlike at the other Merlin parks. I adore the place and I hope sw8 will be a solid, high quality addition. I am very interested to see what future investment will bring to the park and I'm intrigued as to what they will do with CCL. :)

Yay, someone who gets it. I'm the kind of guy, that would ride Nemesis non stop till I could take it no more, do Battle Galleons till I'm soaked to the skin, arrive at 7 in the morning, and be dragged out of AT at midnight kicking and screaming.

Alas, I'm in the minority, heck I would pay extra for the privelage.

Fact is we are spoilt these days. In the late 70 s as a poor boy from a Yorkshire mining town, I appreciated everything I got and savoured every minute if it. Still do. The younger generation today (not all of them) know nothing of scarcity. They have large amounts of disposable income (not all of them), 500 TV channels, the latest mobile phones, set top boxes, games consoles, entertainment on tap 24\7. Whereas a simple pleasure in my day would keep us entertained for hours, today is the disposable society. Spend a fortune on it, get bored of it quickly, move onto something else.

Scarefest delivers increased crowds, specifically because it is a limited 2 week event. Make it all year round, and it becomes the norm. People would get bored of it very quickly and the crowds would dwindle, but the costs remain.

It is simple economics that it costs more to open a Theme Park for 6 hours than 12 (dramatically more). I would happily pay an extra 20 quid and leave at midnight, but I'm in the minority.

Merlin have done many things that I despise, but their decision makers are clever people. They are there to maximise their investors return. If longer opening hours, parades, etc, would increase revenue greater than they increase costs, then AT would never close.

There is a world of difference in climate, attitude, accessibility, etc compared to other parks around the world that mean that these things are not economically viable.

I wish they were, but they are not.

For the record, I love AT and believe that many things about it are world class, even world beating, but all of the above facts mean that AT will never achieve 6 million visitors annually like some of these European and American Parks, so the opening hours, etc cannot be justified.

I have never had a single day there that I have not thoroughly enjoyed.

Yes the food is crap, there is a multi tier service for guests who can pay more, the entertainment with the exception of CBeebies is virtually non existent, etc.

It will take more than that to stop me having a great day.

I could write a huge list of changes I would make and how I would run AT if I was in charge. It would be great while it lasted, but the place would close down for lack of funds.

Fantasy is great, but reality is just that!

Last edited:
Incidentally, I work for a company run by a well known and lovable entrepreneur.

Said person has an amazing reputation, is always there for the publicity photograph, knows just what to say when the press is about and has a reputation somewhat higher than god.

They have built their sizable business empire from nothing, so there can be no doubting their business acumen

I am a very small cog in a very large machine.

I can also say that said person runs their business with an iron fist, and is more focused on targets and performance than anyone ( I have never met this person myself and have a very ordinary job like millions of other people). It's not a criticism thought. If this person wasn't somewhat ruthless in business, then they would be working for me and not the other way round.

Last edited:
Did your top boss sink a boat in 1986 and visited Oswestry in 1986- 1987 and 1994 -1998.