• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lack of enthusiasm/optimism for Alton Towers in recent years?

Did your top boss sink a boat in 1986 and visited Oswestry in 1986- 1987 and 1994 -1998.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Wasn't that 85 that he sunk the boat? 86 he succeeded, but if you're talking who I think you are, that's the exact same guess I had from the description lol

I should of googled it. Yes it 85 he sunk it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm always confused when the discusion of opening times comes up. People always want it to be open later. 8/9pm. some would be happy with 7 which is resonable. I get that. But what i never get is when people throw in Disney/universal etc opening times.

Ive only been to Disney/universal once, this year for a week. I noticed that the atmsophere on the parks was always incredible. Get to 5pm and whoa things change. Children get grouchy. Parents are fighting and the feeling of the place as sunk till around 8pm when mouths are fed. Tiredness is has lifted slightly and the tempratures have cooled down. I doubt disney have to worry about country roads being snarled up at rush. Noise causing local residance to fire legal notices to high courts. People are at these parks for a holiday. Towers is mostly a day out. Living in britain we are alot closer to a theme park than the average American.

Having towers open longer will cheapen the experiance. Until it can be filled every day its open. Towers will have to reduce opening times. Keeping the lights on is surely more of a concern for the people in charge rather than having a slug on the park for a hour or two longer. Not spending money as he is a cheap Yorkshireman

I think a lot of the reasons behind lack of enthusiasm are fair, logical and constructive. It's a park that Tussauds (Pearsons) turned in to something that was magnificent in its ride offerings (and revolutionary in their design), had a strong sense of identity (fantasy, quirky, and a bit of traditional England thrown in too), and put a lot of emphasis on visitor experience.
Reasoning:
-Traditional, classical feel of the park was dissolved by commercialization and 'trendyness'.
-Too little attention given to maintaining existing ride/area theming or introducing new themes (which will hopefully change now that we have TLC)
-Price for perceived value
How can they increase enthusiasm:
-Spend money/Invest more :) Let's not be lazy; I want every path in the whole park themed to the detail of our neighboring European theme parks.
-Bring back the old feel of the park, including the old towers street score, introduce new mascots, and create more themed restaurants rather than having fast food outlets
It really isn't being 'blinded by nostalgia' to say this, because whilst I've been fascinated by Theme Parks since I was 4 years old, my first visit to AT was in 2010. If anything, this proves that my mind is in the right place on this.

The lack of enthusiasm runs off from Merlin. When you see empty outlets run down or closed rides half arsed finishes on new rides and the removal of classics (ripsaw for one ) you really do fall out of love with the place.

It’s a long way back now - in my view the park as we know my is dead. It’s not a great place for enthusiasts anymore.

The GP are even starting to cotton on

I can see the park and resort side splitting in years to come. Hopefully the park will get management that care. Merlin only seem to care about bedrooms

It really isn't being 'blinded by nostalgia' to say this, because whilst I've been fascinated by Theme Parks since I was 4 years old, my first visit to AT was in 2010. If anything, this proves that my mind is in the right place on this.
You can't be blinded by nostalgia for something you've never experienced, only read about on the internet.

You can't be blinded by nostalgia for something you've never experienced, only read about on the internet.
Watched videos, and documentaries showing the whole park in the 80s and 90s recorded from visitors :) But yes, I'll just assume I'm an idiot that has just looked up a few sentences about it and made a judgement off that.

Don't give them any Ideas!:fearscream:

The end for one of the B&m coaster is not far off - they have already ruined AIR and oblivion’s queue aren’t what they were. Even nemesis is usually walk on. The tipping point will be when maintenance costs exceed the budget - I give Oblivion four more seasons tops. It will be the first to go closely followed by AIR

The end for one of the B&m coaster is not far off - they have already ruined AIR and oblivion’s queue aren’t what they were. Even nemesis is usually walk on. The tipping point will be when maintenance costs exceed the budget - I give Oblivion four more seasons tops. It will be the first to go closely followed by AIR

There's being pessimistic, and then there's this. Oblivion has got years left in it yet. Not to mention it'll be expensive to remove because of the pit.

I doubt it, these are headline rides, Nemesis still attracts people from all over the world, and rather than scrap a multi million pound investment they can just replace parts as required.

There's being pessimistic, and then there's this. Oblivion has got years left in it yet. Not to mention it'll be expensive to remove because of the pit.

I doubt it, these are headline rides, Nemesis still attracts people from all over the world, and rather than scrap a multi million pound investment they can just replace parts as required.

Hope you guys are right - I guess it’s just my pessimistic view given the poor standard of the rides and it’s maintenance

I dont think there is a poor standard or ride maintenance as such, themeing and making sure effects are working maybe, but as for the actual structure and ride operation, I think they are pretty good - well, they have to be given what happened 2 years ago really.