• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legalisation of drugs

Do you support the legalisation of at least some drugs currently categorised by the government in th

• No, and I do not work full time

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Yes, and I do not work full time

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • No, and I currently work full time

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Yes, and I currently work full time

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters
Another bizarre thing about this thread: the strong anti-alcohol attitudes. It reads more like a transcript of congress during prohibition than an internet forum populated mostly by young people.

Me, and the vast majority of people who use it, enjoy alcohol. It genuinely enriches a lot of people's lives, including my own, both as a social lubricant and as a pleasurable activity in itself. Take CAMRA for example.

There seems to be this weird attitude in this thread that drinking - nevermind currently illegal drugs - is a bad thing. It seems to be an assumption that if alcohol was discovered today, it wouldn't be legalised, and that would be a good thing. I disagree completely. Whatever its problems, I really think life in Britain would be vastly more boring and less fun without it, especially if ecstasy was also illegal too. It would spell the end for nightclubs, for example.

Read other members posts again, Sam.

No one is saying drinking is a bad thing. They are saying binge drinking is a bad thing.

Everyone loves a drink - and some enjoying getting drunk. Although we're on about going beyond this, drinking until you're in a state where you no longer act human and risk your life. That is the bad thing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sam said:
Like a lot of things in life, cannabis is perfectly safe in moderation, and becomes dangerous in excess. Debating whether the entire thing is 'dangerous' or not is pointless, as it's all down to quantity and respecting it. :)

Would you agree that one extremely strong joint can be dangerous or are you saying heavy prolonged use only is?

Tom said:
Sam said:
Like a lot of things in life, cannabis is perfectly safe in moderation, and becomes dangerous in excess. Debating whether the entire thing is 'dangerous' or not is pointless, as it's all down to quantity and respecting it. :)

Would you agree that one extremely strong joint can be dangerous or are you saying heavy prolonged use only is?

Yeah. And drinking a pint of 93% absinthe would be dangerous too. What's your point?

Doesn't anyone find it odd that people struggle to have fun without alcohol? I don't really drink that much. I don't really like the taste of most of it and I don't feel the need or craving for it so I just hardly drink. I cant say that my life would be better and more fun if I got drunk all the time.

I don't see what the obsession with drinking is, if you need it to function socially or to enjoy yourself is that not edging towards being an alcoholic?

You just answered it.

Many people don't accept it CAN be dangerous in an instant if smoked irresponsibly. It is not widely seen as being overdosable.

Jem8472 said:
Doesn't anyone find it odd that people struggle to have fun without alcohol?

I didn't say that. I said I enjoy alcohol and find drinking a pleasurable activity. I can have fun without it - like whenever I go to a theme park.

Jem8472 said:
I don't see what the obsession with drinking is, if you need it to function socially or to enjoy yourself is that not edging towards being an alcoholic?

The vast majority of people don't have an "obsession" with drinking. They don't need it to function socially or enjoy themselves. However, they enjoy it. A lot of people, including myself, really enjoy drinking. What's your problem with that?! Because it's not to your personal tastes, you go around accusing other people of being alcoholics, even after pointing out you have little experience with drinking yourself?!

Heh. The laws that ban smoking in enclosed public spaces would still apply to weed. I don't like the smell of tobacco smoke, but I have no problem with people smoking outside - I think that's a reasonable compromise.

I guess. I find it more pungent than fag smoke mind . Genuinely makes me feel ill if i'm exposed to it for any length of time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sam, why do you read things in just black and white... either everyones against alcohol/drugs, or all for it...

Also why can't anyone be against drinking or smoking without becoming "a transcript in congress"

Not everyone enjoys drinking as much and everyone has different tastes, also everyone has different opinions whether certain drugs should be legal or not, it's tiresome you barging into threads with a tone that just sounds like "I'm right, you are an idiot" time and time again.

For example I despise nightclubs, so your idea of 'fun' vastly differs from my own,

As mentioned before I am for the legalisation of some drugs. But since I enjoy debating a fair and balanced argument here's my two cents on why it's a good thing some drugs are still illegal.

I hate the thought of this nightclub culture where it seems people depend on these substances to have fun. You aren't being yourself if you are drunk/stoned/high. and the false sense of confidence from the drugs can create a dependency on the substances, whether it's a chemical addiction or not.

Besides my personal belief that if you require to be on any drug legal or not to act confident and cool you aren't being yourself and it personally puts me off. (bare in mind I am an insecure low self confident person, so don't pull the "some people need to take stuff to increase self confident" I'm still against it!)

When it comes to relaxation drugs, used in moderation to chill out and relieve stress. I have no problem what so ever.

Anyway... before I ramble on, I'm only trying to point to Sam, that everyone has a right to have there own opinions about drugs, one may disagree with me, but that doesn't make me wrong.

[/end ramble that probably goes all over the place!]

Fredward said:
I hate the thought of this nightclub culture where it seems people depend on these substances to have fun. You aren't being yourself if you are drunk/stoned/high. and the false sense of confidence from the drugs can create a dependency on the substances, whether it's a chemical addiction or not.

Don't go to nightclubs then? You already said you hate nightclubs.

This whole thing is basically "I don't like something, so I want to stop other people enjoying it as well". Despite evidence that ecstasy, for example, is vastly less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco. It's so elitist and paternalistic.

Jem8472 said:
Doesn't anyone find it odd that people struggle to have fun without alcohol? I don't really drink that much. I don't really like the taste of most of it and I don't feel the need or craving for it so I just hardly drink. I cant say that my life would be better and more fun if I got drunk all the time.

I don't think anyone said they can't have fun without alcohol.

I understand that there are some people that just don't like alcohol, which is great, but most people do. In moderation it does make you feel better. For example, you have had a hard week at work, lots of stress, lots of pressure, friday night you have 6 pints... I am pretty sure most of you would feel better! Now I am in the pub, I don't feel violent, I don't want to murder or rape anyone, I just feel 'better' and if that is a bad thing I have no idea what the alternative is? Maybe take your stress out on your children/wife/both? People are not machines, i do think some sort of 'release' is needed.
Alcohol, in the main, is a socially accepted method. That is just how we are conditioned. Maybe in another world LSD will be socially accepted? And that's all it stems down to IMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredward said:

Noone forces this 'nightclub culture' onto you though? You either like or or you don't. Fair enough. If people enjoy these 'substances' why not just let them enjoy them, they are doing no harm to you? Perhaps if you had experienced them you might feel different, but they sure as hell don't make you want to commit a crime rest assured.

Isn't the belief of superior intelligence similar too? Yet we are subjected to it on a daily basis?

I would rather have a pint than be undermined by some over educated graduate any day. yes.

(I am not for one second saying that this is what I think if anyone here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredward said:
Besides my personal belief that if you require to be on any drug legal or not to act confident and cool you aren't being yourself and it personally puts me off. (bare in mind I am an insecure low self confident person, so don't pull the "some people need to take stuff to increase self confident" I'm still against it!)

This is generally not why people take ecstasy in clubs. They take it because it feels amazing, makes music sound incredible and makes you feel full of warmth and love towards those around you.

I have thought long and hard about what makes somebody 'real' in this circumstance. It's a mixed bag, but your leisure time is usually a heightened, escapist experience. People are allowed to be something else for a while or feel differently than usual, they have the same crap to deal with come Monday morning. I understand it's annoying when people are drunk or high and you're not, and everyone is built differently, but it's a little po-faced to suggest it makes you uncomfortable, or that people in clubs are borderline schizophrenics! Alcohol and drugs don't turn a personality, but they can uproot aspects of someone's character, for better and for worse. Much like a forum, really...

But if you're not interested in clubbing then I can understand how you feel. Earlier on today, I was about to suggest that alternative clubbing and the drugs that oftensurround it are very much still an underground culture, but that's a ridiculous statement to make on a forum as niche as this!

pluk said:

The moral of the story is, don't smoke it constantly! I'm pretty sure that many legal drugs would have the same effect over time, tranquilizers like Temazepam or even blooming Night Nurse could have similar long term effects, but we'd never know about it because broadcasting such theories about illegal drugs is much more sensational and gets people's attention!

pluk said:

From the story: "An international team found those who started using cannabis below the age of 18 - while their brains were still developing - suffered a drop in IQ."

I think most people in favour of legalisation of cannabis would agree that there should be a minimum age limit of 18, like there is for alcohol.