• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Deutschland building €15.5m coaster

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Legoland Deutschland has announced that they are building a new €15.5m coaster in 2023, that will be the first of its type in a Legoland park: https://www.themepark-central.de/legoland-deutschland-neuheit-2023/

The ride will be located in a new themed area between the holiday village and Land of the Pharaohs that will also contain another attraction. Nothing else has been said other than the budget, the fact that it’s part of a themed area, and that it’s the first of its type in a Legoland park.

There are no real rumours, but interestingly, I’ve heard both an SBF Hamster Wheel (suggested within the above article) and an S&S Axis (a European park was said to be building an S&S Axis for 2023, and nowhere else is currently showing any obvious signs of being the park for this) suggested. I wouldn’t have initially gone for either of those, personally, but given we’re seeing Chessington and Legolands in China building B&Ms, I think just about anything is possible!

I’ll admit that my mind initially leapt to a launched B&M like Chessington’s and the Chinese Legolands’, but would they call that “the first in any Legoland park” given that Legoland Sichuan is also due to open in 2023?

What do you guys think it could be?

Interesting, I doubt its the S&S axis as that doesn't seem to match LEGOLAND's target market, even though Chessington defied that principle. I imagine the hamster wheel is more likely but probably not right either. It's probably another family style B&M that will just so happen to open first.

Interesting, I doubt its the S&S axis as that doesn't seem to match LEGOLAND's target market, even though Chessington defied that principle. I imagine the hamster wheel is more likely but probably not right either. It's probably another family style B&M that will just so happen to open first.
The S&S Axis is apparently very versatile, for what it’s worth; people who rode the prototype at S&S’ plant said that “everywhere needs one and it could be put to so many different uses” due to how versatile it is. So Legoland might well be able to pull off a family one if they wanted.

The S&S Axis is apparently very versatile, for what it’s worth; people who rode the prototype at S&S’ plant said that “everywhere needs one and it could be put to so many different uses” due to how versatile it is. So Legoland might well be able to pull off a family one if they wanted.
You raise a good point in that you could probably build one that doesn't go upside down or is more tame however if you were going to do that surely you'd be better off with a family invert? I believe Vekoma still offer the swinging trains although I maybe wrong. B&M could probably even do it. A family invert would be both cheaper to maintain and build.

I just can't imagine an axis at a LEGOLAND and in fact I'm not sure it would be the right move for a Lego park. I think something like a family invert makes a lot more sense and the SBF hamster thing seems to make a little more sense as they wouldn't be risking a lot of money building something thrilling as they are very cheap and I believe can easily be converted to full family coasters.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm just not sure about an axis at this park, I feel like every time we learn a park in Europe is building a coaster in 2023 there is going to be speculation that it's going to be the one to get the axis. We must remember that the deal may well have fallen through or been delayed.

You raise a good point in that you could probably build one that doesn't go upside down or is more tame however if you were going to do that surely you'd be better off with a family invert? I believe Vekoma still offer the swinging trains although I maybe wrong. B&M could probably even do it. A family invert would be both cheaper to maintain and build.

I just can't imagine an axis at a LEGOLAND and in fact I'm not sure it would be the right move for a Lego park. I think something like a family invert makes a lot more sense and the SBF hamster thing seems to make a little more sense as they wouldn't be risking a lot of money building something thrilling as they are very cheap and I believe can easily be converted to full family coasters.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm just not sure about an axis at this park, I feel like every time we learn a park in Europe is building a coaster in 2023 there is going to be speculation that it's going to be the one to get the axis. We must remember that the deal may well have fallen through or been delayed.
I guess if you wanted, you could use the Axis to do something a bit like an S&S Free Fly, such as Tranan at Skara Sommarland (which is most certainly a family ride):

Personally, I think the Axis will probably be somewhere else. But I wouldn’t rule it out given some of the Merlin announcements of the past year.

Legoland Deutschland do have a history of building unexpected rides. Their Ninjago Sky Flyer can easily outdo The Smiler for number of inversions.
I think their target market is also slightly older than the other Legoland Parks (deffinetley Windsor which at 2 to 12 I think is the lowest). I don't know if they still have it but they used to have a 3rd version of The Driving School that was essentially a Go Karts. Not to mention the strange Robo Arm ride.

Legoland Deutschland do have a history of building unexpected rides. Their Ninjago Sky Flyer can easily outdo The Smiler for number of inversions.
I think their target market is also slightly older than the other Legoland Parks (deffinetley Windsor which at 2 to 12 I think is the lowest). I don't know if they still have it but they used to have a 3rd version of The Driving School that was essentially a Go Karts. Not to mention the strange Robo Arm ride.
Out of interest, why would the Lego parks have differing target markets? I’d have thought that Merlin would want to unify the brand strategy and target market across all the Lego parks?

I could be wrong there, though…

Out of interest, why would the Lego parks have differing target markets? I’d have thought that Merlin would want to unify the brand strategy and target market across all the Lego parks?

They aren't drastically different but different cultures do have different expectations. A fun fact about the first Legoland in Denmark is that for decades it didn't have barriers around Miniland. Culturally it just wasn't expected that anyone would try walking into a model village. They had quite a shock when the park opened here.
Location plays a part too. I suspect Legoland Windsor aims for a lower age range to avoid too much conflict with Chessington.
All comes down to local market demand.

They aren't drastically different but different cultures do have different expectations. A fun fact about the first Legoland in Denmark is that for decades it didn't have barriers around Miniland. Culturally it just wasn't expected that anyone would try walking into a model village. They had quite a shock when the park opened here.
Location plays a part too. I suspect Legoland Windsor aims for a lower age range to avoid too much conflict with Chessington.
All comes down to local market demand.

Windsor can’t build anything particularly noisy so they pitch to the lower end of the Lego age range. Other Lego parks have more family thrill coasters (Billund have a free fall drop coaster so Thirteen levels of thrill).

I have got the impression that Windsor is the odd one out, the other Legoland parks are family theme parks with something for everyone. Whereas Windsor has struggled to be able to offer that.

According to a German newspaper, the ride will “briefly go upside down” and “riders will have nothing above or below them”: https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.d...uenzburg-eine-neue-achterbahn-id61789116.html

With that in mind, I’d argue that there’s a fair chance of this being a B&M family wing coaster similar to the ones that Chessington and the Chinese Legolands are getting.
Yeah that makes me quite confident in saying it'll be another family wing coaster. I do wonder if they are all the same layout? Could the Chessington layout fit in the space this is going in?

LLD could certainly build and open whatever this turns out to be before any of the as-yet-unbuilt Chinese LL parks open, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being the same as one of the rides going into China.

Merlin have very much got into the habit of rolling out the same rides across multiple LL parks, both in terms of headline rides and filler attractions and whilst there's still scope for new/unique attractions it seems that anything successful is a candidate for rolling out across the chain.

Looks like the news never got posted here, but the new coaster at Legoland Deutchland is going to be a B&M Wing Coaster (well, a kids/family version). Here are some photos the park shared yesterday:

311952870_10160153144174812_6841482701556353357_n.jpg

311767798_10160153144179812_2892128106585278533_n.jpg

311632036_10160153144184812_6984966843415299663_n.jpg

Merlin obviously have a bulk buy deal with B&M, but I can't help feeling that any B&M kids coaster (Chessington's included) is going to feel very cumbersome.

Looks like the news never got posted here, but the new coaster at Legoland Deutchland is going to be a B&M Wing Coaster (well, a kids/family version). Here are some photos the park shared yesterday:

311952870_10160153144174812_6841482701556353357_n.jpg

311767798_10160153144179812_2892128106585278533_n.jpg

311632036_10160153144184812_6984966843415299663_n.jpg

Merlin obviously have a bulk buy deal with B&M, but I can't help feeling that any B&M kids coaster (Chessington's included) is going to feel very cumbersome.
So similar to chessingtons but not a shuttle version?