• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Discovery Centre - the trafford centre

I was under the impression that only applied to LDCs, not Legoland itself?

I've been to Legoland as an adult couple before, so yes the policy applies to Discovery Centre only.

They do state on their website that adults must be accompanied by a child so, although I think the policy is wrong, it is not discriminatory to disabled people.

How long have they enforced the 'No adults unless with a kid/s' rule? I went in December 2013 with the missus and they didn't bat an eyelid - We are in our 20s. Sad that in this day an age a company feels the need that they have to do this.

I can understand to a degree the stance LDC are taking here, and I think without discussing the complexities, how you would enforce the rules, what constitutes a "safe" environment and whom exactly should be in it etc, I would be wrong to judge them for it, so I wont.

What I will say, is their response to the issue with a standard "adults can come for this evening" etc completely misses the point, and once again they've shown the PR skills of a brick.

For their response alone, their total lack of understanding and willingness to enter discussions, and their "we stand by this policy" like somehow judging older chronically disabled adults is the same as normal high functioning adults wanting to play at being @DiogoJ42 for bit ( :D ) makes it OK to be this insensitive, I hope they cop a ton of flack!

I really don't like the wider attitude of Merlin nowadays. They're getting WAY too cocky.

I don't totally agree with the policy although I do understand why they have it. Gullivers park enforce a similar policy which means we could never have a mini-meet at any of their parks.

:)

I don't totally agree with the policy although I do understand why they have it. Gullivers park enforce a similar policy which means we could never have a mini-meet at any of their parks.

Yeah but we aren't really talking about their standard adult policy are we? Something I can agree on although I think is generally over the top and breeds a fear culture.

I know it seems harsh but from LDC's point of view if they make an exception for one person there will be something else who then argues they should be allowed in for a certain (and maybe valid) reason. And then another and so on. Then where does the line stop? It's a real pity it has to be like that though.

From working at the main Legoland I disagree with this policy. You might be surprised but lots of people visit without kids. Some are just massive Lego fans, others foreign tourists but most of them are disabled groups. The reason they come is because Lego is such a great therapy for them and the environment is perfectly aimed for them and their carers to feel safe.

I think it is a shame the discovery centres are not able to cater for them.

I know it seems harsh but from LDC's point of view if they make an exception for one person there will be something else who then argues they should be allowed in for a certain (and maybe valid) reason. And then another and so on. Then where does the line stop? It's a real pity it has to be like that though.

Yep, if they let the disabled adults in but not other adults then it is just positive discrimination. They either need to completely enforce the no adults rule or get rid of it. As Rob said, if you make one exception then the whole rule stops working.

But I disagree with the rule anyway, i could understand not allowing large groups of adults to prevent anti-social behaviour, but an adult couple aren't going to make any trouble. I also see why there is a lot of hysteria about single adults being pedophiles but really, how many single adult men actually are? You are just as likely to get a parent who has those issues.

Yep, if they let the disabled adults in but not other adults then it is just positive discrimination.

No, no, really, let's stop there.

It's not positive discrimination. That is absolute rubbish. It's courtesy and kindness and consideration.

Giving a black person a job because they don't have any black people working is positive discrimination, letting a DISABLED ADULT in who has a registered mental age of very very young, and essentially in all but physicality is A CHILD and treating them the same as a high functioning adult is if anything discriminatory.

When I hear the term positive discrimination being used in places that it simply has NO place to be, it puts me in absolute rage mode.

This was linked http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/adults-learning-difficulties-being-refused-8507988 on a large Disability days out facebook page.

The comments where very negative about lego discovery centre and merlin. I can not see why they cant have a clearance check on the lego AP then have a marker on the AP card to denote an exemption in the no lone adults policy?
If they can approve free carer pass for MAP why cant they use that as a base framework for LCAP access for adults with child like mental age?

More and more theme parks are introducing policies like this. Last year I got told off for taking a photo of the roller coaster at Clarence Pier as if it was some kind of military secret. I haven’t been to the Lego Discovery Centre in Manchester, but I went to the one in Chicago and really enjoyed it, and I was made to feel very welcome.

On the Merlin Annual Pass it says you get 31 attractions, and the Lego Discovery Centre isn’t listed as having this restriction:
http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/attraction-map.aspx

On the Annual Pass terms and conditions page it says, ‘With regard to LEGOLAND ®Discovery Centre (Manchester), all adults must be accompanied by a child aged 11 years or under.’
http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/terms.aspx

In the Independent article it states adults must be accompanied by a child under 16, and on the Lego Discovery website one page says adults must be accompanied by someone under 16 and another page says adults must be accompanied by a child under 18. I wouldn’t say the policy’s clearly advertised.

I do agree with The Maus, that it creates a climate of fear. Has there actually been a single recorded case of a paedophile going to a theme park to groom children? I’m not a criminologist, but I discussed it with a close relative who’s a probation officer who works with a lot of paedophiles. Firstly, she told me that the vast majority of children who are abused are abused by a close family member or friend rather than a stranger. And paedophiles are generally looking to get kids in situations where there aren’t adults around, which generally doesn’t apply to a tourist attraction where kids are with an adult at all times. On one hand this creates a climate of fear, but it also deflects attention from situations where a child is at a more genuine risk.

Incidentally Merlin don't normally CRB check their staff. I'm not saying they need to. I haven't heard of any incidents where staff have abused children. But it does suggest it's as much about perceptions than any genuine concerns.

Last edited:
I do agree with The Maus, that it creates a climate of fear. Has there actually been a single recorded case of a paedophile going to a theme park to groom children? I’m not a criminologist, but I discussed it with a close relative who’s a probation officer who works with a lot of paedophiles. Firstly, she told me that the vast majority of children who are abused are abused by a close family member or friend rather than a stranger. And paedophiles are generally looking to get kids in situations where there aren’t adults around, which generally doesn’t apply to a tourist attraction where kids are with an adult at all times. On one hand this creates a climate of fear, but it also deflects attention from situations where a child is at a more genuine risk.

Maybe not grooming, and whilst never really any major stories have come out in the public eye, there are some cases of paedophiles attending theme parks...

Indeed, I was not long ago contacted about such a case by the constabulary as I had visited a particular park in the same month as an incident that was being investigated [I won't include the name/location of said park, because I have no idea on the current details of said incident]... Whilst I couldn't help in the matter (as the day of visit didn't match with the investigation), it was still very surprising to hear of such a thing going on, and goes to show that a lot of it doesn't get reported highly in the media...

But that situation could happen anywhere, are we going to end up in a situation where adults and children can't shop in the same supermarket.

And as has been said the majority of sex offences occur within the family. The fact you have a child with you does not mean you are safe for other children to be around. And being single or childless doesn't make you a threat.

This is an ineffectual policy that protects no one.

At what point does it become discrimination, from a legal point of view?

If they say "no disabled people" and they won't let a disabled parent with children in, that is discrimination. But as long as when they say no adults without children they apply it to everyone fairly, there is no discrimination.

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights/types-of-discrimination

Surely banning any group of people is discrimination? This is exactly why Towers can't ban "a certain type of guest that tends to visit in large groups twice a year".

Twinlakes are also a bit confusing. Some sources suggest that they won't let you in without kids. I can't see anything about it on the official website (it might be an old policy?), but they are advertising a 'sexy serenader'
http://www.twinlakespark.co.uk/index.php/news/join-us-for-valentines/
And before you all ask, no, it's not me.

Twinlakes I think have from last year let this rule slide, as I was able to visit without children (and there were many others getting the creds last year too)...