• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

Along with the multitude of FAQs much like other parks have published, Legoland's also released a video today to describe new safety measures etc that will be in place once open:

I haven't watched it yet but it better have Minifigures!

*Update* I can with them being characters...
The park is looking brilliant in that video, I love how much effort has been put into the park over the last few years (although I noticed the odd shot was from Legoland Florida).

I just hope they stick to their message of they will open the other rides as soon as they can, and don't keep them closed all year due to budget cuts.

Last edited:
Southparks are reporting that Legoland have submitted revised plans for the new for 2021 area that was due to be ‘Lego Movie World’ - the plans state the theme will no longer be related to the movie, but don’t say what the new theme will be. It does still indicate that this new area will open for 2021 as originally planned.

Probably not a great surprise considering the original film would be 7 years old by next year, and last years Lego Movie sequel was hardly considered a success at the box office.

Only half true - whilst most LL parks have a Dragon's Apprentice (or similar ride with a different name), all the others are from different manufacturers, mostly Zamperla with one each from Zierer & Gerstlauer. Windsor's is the only one from WGH.

As WGH are no longer in business, obtaining replacement parts may be more difficult (or someone else may have taken on responsibility, I don't know).

Why did Windsor opt for WGH for both of their original roller coasters instead of one of the other, more prolific manufacturers like the other Legolands used? Do the Legoland parks like to build their rides using local companies or something?

From just having looked at it on RCDB, Dragon's Apprentice is a more substantial coaster than I was expecting; I was expecting just a flat oval layout not too dissimilar to DUPLO Dino Coaster, but it's actually got a helix and an underground dive as well! I did actually ride the larger Dragon in 2017, and I must say I was rather pleasantly surprised by it! It's actually a pretty long ride!

Last edited:
Why did Windsor opt for WGH for both of their original roller coasters instead of one of the other, more prolific manufacturers like the other Legolands used? Do the Legoland parks like to build their rides using local companies or something?

From just having looked at it on RCDB, Dragon's Apprentice is a more substantial coaster than I was expecting; I was expecting just a flat oval layout not too dissimilar to DUPLO Dino Coaster, but it's actually got a helix and an underground dive as well! I did actually ride the larger Dragon in 2017, and I must say I was rather pleasantly surprised by it! It's actually a pretty long ride!
Only Legoland Windsor has rides by a local manufacturer. When Windsor Opened, the only other Legoland was Billund which had a Zierer Tivoli Small and a Mack Powered Coaster. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the Mack Powered Coaster as both Thorpe Park and Chessington already had one. (I'm not sure either, I'm just speculating)

Unfortunately, with Dragon still down, the only rollercoaster at Legoland is the Duplo ride.

That is pretty poor and shows the planning limitations Legoland face.

Unfortunately, with Dragon still down, the only rollercoaster at Legoland is the Duplo ride.

That is pretty poor and shows the planning limitations Legoland face.

I don't think rollercoaster count is a good metric to judge Legoland by. For me Legoland is more about Mini-land and dark rides rather than generic coasters. Its very "Disney" in that sort of regard where attractions are important but coasters are less so.

I'd definitely agree with jon81uk - the guest that Legoland is geared towards wants to go on a variety of attractions, not specifically rollercoasters.

I’d also be inclined to agree; as much as rollercoasters are the main attraction type theme parks tend to be known for, Legoland is not really a rollercoaster park, and I’d even go as far as to say that it’s not as much of a ride-focused park as most.

If I had to guess, I’d say that the central part of Legoland is Miniland/exhibits, closely followed by the building activities; it seemed far more interactive than most parks, and a pretty substantial percentage of its main draws aren’t rides. And even with the rides taken into account, immersive rides (e.g. dark rides and water rides) seem to be more important to the park than rollercoasters.

Whatever downtime the park’s rides might be having clearly isn’t affecting guest experience that much, anyway, because my aunt, uncle and cousins went last week, and they had a fantastic time!