• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

How about - and I appriciate this is a bit radical - how about hiring some staff to work a till, and only charging people for what they actually buy? I've heard it has been trialed in a few places and seemed promising.
Its quite possible this unit had high theft ratings and the method above doesn't solve theft issues, although in theory the amazon fresh style systems will pick up whats taken and charge for pocketed items

Seen plenty of people who don’t grasp the concept of how pre-auths work too.

Still having £25 held is frustrating if your bank and/or Merlin are slack at removing the auth for the actual charge.

Or if you on an extremely tight budget. Imagine going in two or three times to the shop in a day?

The plans do look good though. I do wonder if this is the sign of things to come at Towers

Or if you on an extremely tight budget. Imagine going in two or three times to the shop in a day?

The plans do look good though. I do wonder if this is the sign of things to come at Towers
Pre-authorisation charge only happens once per day. It's the same when you use contactless on public transport. The charge to to ensure that the card is active. They've gone for a higher amount to ensure that people aren't just using pre-paid cards with an amount that wouldn't cover the total purchase.

Pre-authorisation charge only happens once per day. It's the same when you use contactless on public transport. The charge to to ensure that the card is active. They've gone for a higher amount to ensure that people aren't just using pre-paid cards with an amount that wouldn't cover the total purchase.

ah i didn’t realise it was once per day not per visit. Makes sense. I guess I’m lucky enough to never really notice.

Apparently the Costa in duplo village has been changed to an Amazon Go-like system where you scan your payment card on entry and cameras pick up your purchases.

I admire their courage in putting something like that in, but… surely there was somewhere better in the Merlin estate to put this in than Legoland? There’s reports of overcharging on the various Facebook groups already.
I wonder who is pushing this is it costa armark (if they are involved) or merlin.
Considering amazon struggled with this system I wonder how it will turn out

TfL doesn't do pre-authorisation for public transport and unless I've just missed this happening neither does Amazon Fresh, you just get a bill for the correct amount a few minutes after leaving the shop. I'd also be pretty shocked if I got a £25 pre-auth charge popping up on my phone -- again, unless I'm misinterpreting the point here.

TfL doesn't do pre-authorisation for public transport and unless I've just missed this happening neither does Amazon Fresh, you just get a bill for the correct amount a few minutes after leaving the shop. I'd also be pretty shocked if I got a £25 pre-auth charge popping up on my phone -- again, unless I'm misinterpreting the point here.

TFL does but it’s only 10p

Sorry, not sure if this is suitable for this thread or belongs elsewhere but sadly seems there was a near death of a baby at the park:

Legoland Windsor: Police probe baby's cardiac arrest at theme park https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-68962869

Only detail seems to be:

We are working closely with the team at Legoland Windsor Resort but would like to speak to anyone who may have information about this incident, specifically anyone who was queueing for the Coastguard HQ boat ride between around 11.30am and 12.45pm.

Went past the updated coffee place today, lots of confused looking people outside. Strangely the sign outside says that £25 will be held, but a sign inside at the barriers says £1 will be held.

On a separate subject, I am not sure of the work that would need to go into, but rode Sky Lion today and although it is only 3 years old it feels now like it needs a new film. Might just be me but it doesn't hold the same appeal that it used to now. I sometimes wish they had made three different ones for the three portals that show at the start of the ride and it would randomly choose one for your ride. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Went past the updated coffee place today, lots of confused looking people outside. Strangely the sign outside says that £25 will be held, but a sign inside at the barriers says £1 will be held.

On a separate subject, I am not sure of the work that would need to go into, but rode Sky Lion today and although it is only 3 years old it feels now like it needs a new film. Might just be me but it doesn't hold the same appeal that it used to now. I sometimes wish they had made three different ones for the three portals that show at the start of the ride and it would randomly choose one for your ride. Anyway, just my thoughts.

I think theoretically changing it would be quite easy.

But the theming of the building etc is a giant SkyLion which would be more difficult.

Also wouldn’t personally be a fan of randomised showings for a ride you can typically only go on once.

I think the queues for Sky Lion still dictate that it wouldn’t be a feasible business decision to change the film at all. It doesn’t need more people flocking to it .

What happened to the Cops & Robbers theme that this ride was said to be having, was there something official from the park stating that as the theme and then at some point got switched, or was it only ever speculated?

I don't think that theme was ever confirmed. I think it was only a rumour.

The main thing I remember leading people to think it was going to have this theme was the Zierer brochure from IAAPA showing a cops & robbers themed train for their duelling family boomerang model. This caused people to add 2 and 2 together and assume that Legoland's coaster would have this theme.

In this case, adding 2 and 2 evidently just resulted in 5.

Last edited: